suspension noise help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a rattle on the front driver side that had similar symptoms, would only hear it on uneven or rough roads, clearly coming from the wheel well area and I could feel it on the floor. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the compression rod, started with the creaking which I complained about previously and they wouldn't replace it then but I guess it got bad enough that they couldn't play it off as not being able to replicate the sound.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fais
I had a rattle on the front driver side that had similar symptoms, would only hear it on uneven or rough roads, clearly coming from the wheel well area and I could feel it on the floor. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be the compression rod, started with the creaking which I complained about previously and they wouldn't replace it then but I guess it got bad enough that they couldn't play it off as not being able to replicate the sound.
Was it coming from the passenger side? For me, the noise really comes when my right side goes over rough pavement and not so much as driver side going over rough pavement.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Is this the part that could be the culprit?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=9&catalogid=1

Old 07-11-2007, 11:48 AM
For me it was only the driver side and they told me the passenger side compression rod was fine, but about a month later the passenger side started creaking and I'm now out of warranty and I'm waiting to see if it turns into a rattle or not like the driver's side. I'm not sure if that's the part, it used to be listed as compression rod in the parts catalogue but now I can't find it, it's listed in the full service manual too if you have that downloaded or otherwise I can look up the exact part number they replaced in my service records when I get home later this evening.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
This is the part as listed in the service manual:

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=19

Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Yup that's the part. I just looked at my service records, they wrote down the cause of the rattle as being due to excessive friction. The parts they replaced were 54469-AC70F which is the compression rod and they also replaced something else called the Seat Ball, Part# 40173-33P00.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 AM
fais: too bad you don't live in the bay area so you could confirm that I have the same symptoms as you.

I checked again today on the right front to check the compression rod and nothing seems out of place. I checked the nuts and bolts for the compression rod (except for the nuts/screws with the cotter pins in them, since I didn't have extra cotter pins to replace them with) and the bracket it connects to and they were fine.

I try rocking the car and can't make the rattle. I lift the right front up on a stand and compress the right suspension by jacking up the lower control arm and it looks fine.

It could be a bad compression rod like fais said happened to him or it could still be the pillow ball mounts, both of which are about $150 or more. This sucks. I seem to always have bad luck with suspension mods as in my last car.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Yeah sorry I couldn't be of more help. Suspension seems to be a problematic area for me too on my 03, otherwise the car's been great. I have a weird clanking type sound coming from the front left and right side depending on which side is loaded when taking a corner or making a turn. I also have that annoying click from the rear axle but I haven't gotten a chance to take it to the dealer yet. I'm thinking I will have to pay for the fix because I'm out of warranty even though there's a TSB out for it.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 PM
I just ordered the right side compression rod and the seat ball and hopefully this will cure my right front rattling. I also saw there was a TSB for G's drifting to the right that's related to the compression rod.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB03-028.htm

Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
bump. Any follow up to this?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem about a year ago, it ended up being the passenger side lower control/compression arm. My mech changed the bushings aswell, but the main issue was the lower control/compression arm.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by janu5
I had the same problem about a year ago, it ended up being the passenger side lower control/compression arm. My mech changed the bushings aswell, but the main issue was the lower control/compression arm.
Did the lower control/compression arm need to be replaced? I still hear a lot of rattling when I go over bumps, but its fine when I'm on the highway and on smooth pavement.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Do you need an alignment after replacing the compression rod? Does warranty cover for the alignment?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:46 AM
The manual says you should but I don't think it is needed. I didn't get one.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 PM
any update?????????????

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: suspension noise help