Question on Non-sport suspension..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on Non-sport suspension..

I have 06' Coupe with Sport Suspension.. And I hurt my back for some reason.. And my ride is very very uncomfortable.. I was thinking of switching to different car but I didn't really find anything I liked.. So I was thinking just swapping the suspensions out with non-sport ones.. And my question is.. Is there a really difference between non-sport vs. sport for the coupe?? And if I get non-sport for the sedan would it raise my car up a lot?? Thanks guys..

Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 PM
When I was younger my car rode like it was on rails. I used to track my car so ride quality was not even a concern. Now that I'm older having many cars over the years and still a car enthusiast and my needs have changed.

When I bought my G coupe I was looking for a car leaning towards a touring rather than a pure sports car. I have a Porsche and I actually rather drive my G. So, getting to your question, I drove G's with both suspensions and for me the sport suspension was too firm. I ended changing out my stock spring for the Swift springs which gives me a nice drop while giving me a ride that is comparable to the non-sport suspension ride. A nice compromise between decent handling and a car that I can be comfortable in for hours.

I talked to the distributor of Swift springs and they are increasing the spring rate for the "G" application although I have the old series and quite happy with them. They could be a little stiffer but I wouldn't want them to have the spring rates like the "Z" application, that would be too stiff for me.

Bottom line is there is a difference in ride quality between the 2 suspensions.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Thanks!!! I'll probably look for the non-sport suspension then!! But anybody know if it will raise my car if I get sedan non-sport suspension?

Old 07-14-2007, 02:15 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Yes there is a difference between non-sport and sport suspension. The spring ratings are different. Just trade someone w/ 06-07 nonsport suspension for your sport tuned suspension. You only have to switch out the rear because the fronts are the same on both cars..

Def I did notice a difference. I used to have an 05 G35 w/ nonsport susp and it was a softer ride then the 06 sport susp. Also the sedan might raise your car. not sure tho

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 AM
Thanks.. So I don't need shocks right?? Actually after hearing from mark4x4, I was looking into the Swift.. Will those fine with stock shocks?? Or should I get Tokico shocks with them?? Which one will give me more comfort ride?

Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 PM
The Swift are designed to be used with the stock or aftermarket shocks. FYI, I'm using the stock shocks (they work fine) although when I need shocks I will go with the Tokico's DSP7 or 9's. IMO, the Swift gives you a little better ride than the non-sport suspension but makes sure they are the first revision. Swift's are more expensive than competing springs because they use superior materials and are the number 1 selling spring in Japan. What I like about them is that they are linear in design as opposed to being progressive.

krnn1 is right that the front spring rates are the same only the rears are stiffer on the sports suspension so it might be more economical to change out the rears with the non-sport springs. If I'm not mistaken the part numbers are different on the rear springs between the sedan and coupe, so that would tell me that the springs are different.

The key decision to make is 1. do you want a drop 2. additional cost of camber kits to get the alignment back into spec with the drop

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Mark

Last edited by mark4x4; 07-14-2007 at 08:37 PM.