Dont want feathering agian, will SPC Front Arms prevent feathering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Raise the car back to stock ride height usually solves most problems assumming the alignment is reset to NOMINAL exact center of range.

RUNNING Caster offsets the forces on the tires x degrees foreaft from perfect perpendicularity with road so the tires block is deformed by these forces and creates the foreaft scrub.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant justify raising it back up. If it can be corrected at stock height, then with new arms, one would assume, that the same settings could be obtained.

Problem is, not a simple person on this forum can tell me if their arms fixed the problem.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 AM
I would love a definitive answer to this problem as well. Considering how many 350Z/G35 coupe owners there are, it's amazing that no one has real-world results.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had very little problem with camber changing. I do understand I can expect to see more camber changes and corresponding wear on tires, with this vehicle, as the miles pile on.
Toe-in goes south fairly easily. And can contribute to the feathering problem.
Since mine was re-adjusted just last month, I can already see an improvment.

With the replacement and notably much more robust tie rods offered after-market (most notably Tein) you 'should' see fewer toe in adjustments over the long haul vs. the toothpick-like stock rods. The tread type (as mentioned) and it's ability to resist such wear is certainly another factor.

One thing you can not control that contributes to 'changing alignment' is the springs settling. You can go with after market tower springs which appear to solve the problem, at the cost of some ride quality (as well as money).

At a minimum, I would choose replacement tires with care, and keep a close eye on wear patterns.

Last edited by fortified; 10-30-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
I would love a definitive answer to this problem as well. Considering how many 350Z/G35 coupe owners there are, it's amazing that no one has real-world results.
I agree.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by ElixXxeR
I'm not so sure that's true. It's very possible those who installed some after-market suspension solutions are not having these problems. Or at least, not as severe.
Of course, many sought other solutions because they wanted a lowered G35, not one with fewer alignment peculiarities.
But along with lowering, came some beefier components.
I think some of us already know the brand/type of tire makes a difference.
Does not solve the problem but can lessen it.
Overall, you are right. No one has real-world results to answer every question.
But I don't find these type of problems that unusual on other HP production sports cars, reading up on other forums.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I believe that most will agree that the BMW is one of the better cars in the handling dept. Why no tire issues? I'll admit that performance tires have a shorter tread life than other tires but I'm not aware of these type of tire wear issues on other sport cars. At least, not to this extent and severity.

Last edited by bocatrip; 10-31-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM
bocatrip, your right on!

Owning a 335 and having owned an M3, I can vouch that this problem was never an issue with either car. Both were lowered....one more then the G35 is. Both handle like a ****, and allow tires to last a very long time. WTF is wrong the setup on this G?

Please jesus, someone step up to say if they got any decent results from swapping out to aftermarket arms?

There has to be hundreds if not thousands of people who own them.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM
If all that is true, then basically we are stuck with a suspension geometry that is compromised. It works well in all kinds of driving situations, but the ability to do that will mean uneven tire wear as well as require more frequent alignments.
Unless you can implement a design change, there is not much else that can be done except minimize the problems as much as possible.
A more sophisticated suspension might cure all these ills at more cost. I guess it's just another trade-off from the bean counters.

Last edited by fortified; 10-31-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:42 PM
Some of the owners that are truly annoyed with the front ends have tried getting some satisfaction through Nissantireproblems.com while the rest reluctantly live with it unless it becomes the last straw for them. If there were documented problems with the 350Z front ends that were never actually satisfactorily resolved, what does that tell us?

Last edited by bocatrip; 10-31-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Some of the owners that are truly annoyed with the front ends have tried getting some satisfaction through Nissantireproblems.com while the rest reluctantly live with it unless it becomes the last straw for them. If there were documented problems with the 350Z front ends that were never actually satisfactorily resolved, what does that tell us?
It's a good question. But probably mostly pedestrian grade drivers make up the bulk of vehicle sales. And they are willing to live with it and believe the tire wear, etc. that occurs is simply the nature of the beast.
Then you get the other extreme, street racers who love to power and slide in such cars, and never keep a set of tires long enough to see if the wear is caused by poor design.
Taking both situations, even an organized group may not have the necessary impact in raw numbers of incidents.
Maybe there is hope if it is shown Nissan has done little to improve the design over the last 4 years to eliminate premature and abnormal tire wear.
The class action might result in some compensation to owners for tire replacements. Can't imagine how they would sort through that mess. In the meantime, might as well join the group and up their numbers.
It's worth at least half our time if it does result in a re-design and/or money back.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The minute you change any single oem component you let Nissan off the hook totally............changes tires off the hook, change springs off the hook, change shocks off the hook, change sway bars off the hook............any minute suspension or brake pad mod.
Change wheels from oem Nissan off the hook.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
The minute you change any single oem component you let Nissan off the hook totally............changes tires off the hook, change springs off the hook, change shocks off the hook, change sway bars off the hook............any minute suspension or brake pad mod.
Change wheels from oem Nissan off the hook.
With the possible exception of brake pads, I think that's understood with regards to the topic at hand. No one is discussing tire wear problems with after-market components installed. In fact, quite the opposite.

Although it is doubtful a successful CA suit would result in getting suspension components replaced unless Nissan can pin point the problem to a relatively simple fix and realignment.

Last edited by fortified; 11-01-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by fortified
With the possible exception of brake pads, I think that's understood with regards to the topic at hand. No one is discussing tire wear problems with after-market components installed. In fact, quite the opposite.

Although it is doubtful a successful CA suit would result in getting suspension components replaced unless Nissan can pin point the problem to a relatively simple fix and realignment.
Agreed here. There is less chance of a loophole for Infiniti when the consumer (myself included) has a car that is 100% OEM. I'm keeping an eye on the G37 to see about feathering or any tire wear issues. It's a little early to get much feedback.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by bocatrip
Agreed here. There is less chance of a loophole for Infiniti when the consumer (myself included) has a car that is 100% OEM. I'm keeping an eye on the G37 to see about feathering or any tire wear issues. It's a little early to get much feedback.
But the non-stock vehicle should having nothing to do with a class-action (literally). It should only hinder an individual seeking compensation if an award is granted.
But I think that's what you were saying in essence.
All the hype on the G37 deals with the drive-train and some styling & luxury highlights. Only thing about 'handling' alludes to improved rear-wheel steering and some improvements in steering feel.
I'm not too hopeful much has happened with regards to expected tire wear.

Last edited by fortified; 11-01-2007 at 05:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dont want feathering agian, will SPC Front Arms prevent feathering?