Soft Brake Pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
This seems to be a very common issue across the board. I think I might buy the Stillen MC brace and see if it works. I'm probably going back to 05 OEM pads when my Hawks wear out as well.
Let us know if that makes a difference at all.

I'm kinda disappointed that so many people have this issue but nobody has yet nailed down a root cause. Makes me think it's something a little more involved than calipers/rotors/bleeding.

I've bled the brakes many times, changed rotors/pads with no change in feel. The only thing that seems to help is if i press the brake pedal to the floor multiple times for a couple mins with the car off. If i do this maybe 20-30 times, the pedal feel improved for maybe a week or so.

Makes me think there is air "somewhere" in the system that i just can't bleed out.

I've asked a few guys who are brake savvy on other boards, and they suggested replacing the MC. But on an '06x, this is an expensive part to just do on a hunch

This started around 35-40K miles...dealer said "Brakes feel fine" even after i pointed out you need to double pump them to get good feel. Can't beleive they still didn't see the issue

Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I just ordered the "stiffener" as Stillen calls it. I'm guessing it will take about a week to come in so I'll post up a review after I get it installed. If it helps even a little it's worth the $150 I spent on it. I'm just one of a growing legion of people that are tired of the soft pedal.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just switched to hawk from OEM. both have this soft feeling.

Replacing the MC will help. The soft pedal is attributed to the worn spring in the mc. The more you bleed the brakes, the faster the spring wears out. The new spring is definitely stiffer than the old spring.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 PM

This is what I bought; http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...F01&c=BR&m=all

It's gotten positive reviews on a few websites I browse.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by tyau
Replacing the MC will help. The soft pedal is attributed to the worn spring in the mc. The more you bleed the brakes, the faster the spring wears out. The new spring is definitely stiffer than the old spring.
I'll have to unbolt the MC and gently pry it forward and see if the piston return spring is returning the MC piston to "home" after each stroke.

What is infiniti's proper MC replacement procedure? I've bench bled and installed MC's before, but not on an ABS car. Would replacing the MC require equipment to cycle the ABS so that I can properly bleed after install?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I'll have to unbolt the MC and gently pry it forward and see if the piston return spring is returning the MC piston to "home" after each stroke.

What is infiniti's proper MC replacement procedure? I've bench bled and installed MC's before, but not on an ABS car. Would replacing the MC require equipment to cycle the ABS so that I can properly bleed after install?
According to the manual no special method required. I wouldn't replace an mc just coz of a soft pedal.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
By the way, the brake pedal rod to the booster can be adjusted

Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Yup, I've done it before on other cars. I don't think that's the problem though as my soft pedal issue was not there when car was new.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Ever considered using steel braided lines with teflon outer coatings? Those stiffened up my pedals really well on my 240sx with GT-R brakes. They don't really improve braking distance, just the pedal feel.

But I wouldn't use them on my daily driven G because I think they are way overpriced for just lines and pedal feel.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by tyau
Ever considered using steel braided lines with teflon outer coatings? Those stiffened up my pedals really well on my 240sx with GT-R brakes. They don't really improve braking distance, just the pedal feel.

But I wouldn't use them on my daily driven G because I think they are way overpriced for just lines and pedal feel.

I have them on my mustang with brembos. They do make a difference and I liked them a lot.

My issue is I feel I should not have to add aftermarket parts to a completely stock brake system to bring it up to standards. I feel there is a problem somewhere in the brake system and want to correct it rather than "band-aid" it with aftermarket parts.

Thing is, I am pretty well experienced with brake system installs and troubleshooting...but this one has me stumped. It basically feels like there is air somewhere, bit I cant bleed it out no matter what I do.

I've bled gallons of brake fluid through in every method I can think of. No change. Car stops fine, even in panic stop...but I can basically press the pedal to the floor rather easily. It feels like a mushy pedal with no feedback unless I pump the brake pedal one time quick and then modulate.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 01-17-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 PM
That really sounds like a problem I once had on my other car. Turns out there really WAS air in the system, and I was driving the car in that condition for over a year!!! LOL

Have you read the manual? It doesn't require any special bleeding method. It just requires you to bleed the calipers in certain order. Have you looked at that yet? The distribution valve can be picky in the order the calipers are bleed sometimes.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Stiffener came in yesterday and guess what. It doesn't fit!!! AAAARGHHHHHH. The website lists the part for 03-05 Sedans so my guess is it is designed for the 03-04. The master cylinder picture in the instructions shows a small plastic tank on a rather large metal base and mine has a rather large tank on a smaller metal base.

I called Stillen and they are checking to see if they offer one that fits the 05-06. If not I'll return this one, get a refund, and possibly look to fabricate something myself. Gotta say though that after 1 phone call I'm impressed with their customer service. Friendly, knowledgeable rep was very polite and helpful. Makes me want to buy more Stillen products and I got a $25 Stillen GC in the mail today as well.

I'll let you know what I find out. Does anyone have a picture of an 03-04 MC in their car for me to confirm my suspicions??

Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Just got off the phone with Chuck at Stillen and it looks like the 05-06 peeps are SOL. Bummer...........

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
^That sucks. It's good to hear that Stillen has great customer service at least. So the master cylinders are different for 03-04 and 05-06?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Check rock auto for cross referencing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soft Brake Pedal