Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)

DISCLAIMER: I am happy with the product and it is very good at improving front chassis rigidity. It is excellent on turns and in combination with sway bars and lower chassis supports. This is no way to say Richie's FSB sucks or doesn't work; I simply want a solution to my problem from someone who might experience the same issue.

Now onto the post:

I installed this a month ago and it's been working great except it never fit perfectly and I have no idea why. I have jacked the car up several times to relieve pressure from the struts to make sure the bar brackets are tightened down w/ all the space they can get. The bar is completely at its lowest height on the brackets. To ensure to bar STAYS in the lowest position and doesn't come up as stress occurs, I have installed 4 heavy duty bolts to fill up the space up top. In the end, the bar still rubs my hood, even with the hood liner off. I think even when I am idling w/ the heater/AC off and music off I can hear a slight rattle/banging coming from the hood. It sounds just like a hood would sound hitting up against that bar. I obviously can't test this rattle but the rub marks work as possible proof.

If anyone has this problem, could you please give me some ideas on what might be going on?

NOTES: I have stock suspension, 20" after-market wheels w/ conservative offsets. I have no after-market plenum or spacer; the intake manifold is completely stock besides the intake attachment. My engine bay is pretty much stock. My struts have never been manipulated in any way. The only thing that comes to mind is my car has been in a minor collision (I am guessing at about 10-15mph head on at a slight angle). The body shop reported no internal damage except the radiator bracket needed to be fixed (and obvious cosmetic repairs). That's the only thing I can think of that is having an effect on the space between the struts.

PICS BELOW:
- The overall engine bay w/front strut brace
- My spacer bolts mod to keep the bar at lowest setting just in case
- FSB damage from rubbing on the hood. The black spot is paint and there are scratches/rub marks that can't be seen in the picture
- Hood damage

Attached Thumbnails Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)-engine_bay1.jpg   Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)-strut_bar_bolts_mod1.jpg   Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)-strut_bar_damage_left_side_marked.jpg   Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)-strut_bar_damage_right_side_marked.jpg   Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)-hood_damage_big_marked.jpg  

Last edited by 425skyline; 04-09-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Odd my doesn't rub that I know of. I'm a sedan though.

If you don't plan on getting a spacer or plenum, you might be able to slot the bracket a little and install it that much further down?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I am really surprised. I have that thing pounded down and secured beyond belief. I even jacked up my car several times to make sure there is no stress on the brackets, spread as far as they go, and torqued them down properly while the car is up.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by pavelpg
DISCLAIMER: I am happy with the product and it is very good at improving front chassis rigidity. It is excellent on turns and in combination with sway bars and lower chassis supports. This is no way to say Richie's FSB sucks or doesn't work; I simply want a solution to my problem from someone who might experience the same issue.

Now onto the post:

I installed this a month ago and it's been working great except it never fit perfectly and I have no idea why. I have jacked the car up several times to relieve pressure from the struts to make sure the bar brackets are tightened down w/ all the space they can get. The bar is completely at its lowest height on the brackets. To ensure to bar STAYS in the lowest position and doesn't come up as stress occurs, I have installed 4 heavy duty bolts to fill up the space up top. In the end, the bar still rubs my hood, even with the hood liner off. I think even when I am idling w/ the heater/AC off and music off I can hear a slight rattle/banging coming from the hood. It sounds just like a hood would sound hitting up against that bar. I obviously can't test this rattle but the rub marks work as possible proof.

If anyone has this problem, could you please give me some ideas on what might be going on?

NOTES: I have stock suspension, 20" after-market wheels w/ conservative offsets. I have no after-market plenum or spacer; the intake manifold is completely stock besides the intake attachment. My engine bay is pretty much stock. My struts have never been manipulated in any way. The only thing that comes to mind is my car has been in a minor collision (I am guessing at about 10-15mph head on at a slight angle). The body shop reported no internal damage except the radiator bracket needed to be fixed (and obvious cosmetic repairs). That's the only thing I can think of that is having an effect on the space between the struts.

PICS BELOW:
- The overall engine bay w/front strut brace
- My spacer bolts mod to keep the bar at lowest setting just in case
- FSB damage from rubbing on the hood. The black spot is paint and there are scratches/rub marks that can't be seen in the picture
- Hood damage
There is your answer.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Odd my doesn't rub that I know of. I'm a sedan though.

If you don't plan on getting a spacer or plenum, you might be able to slot the bracket a little and install it that much further down?

Sedans shouldn't rub at all. The bar will rub on all coupes with a hood liner. And in this case, on a coupe without a hood liner because it has been in a collision.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Red Card Crew

Not sure how that's a definate answer although I'd like to hear a detailed explaination to that theory. If that's the cause,then the height diff would be significant and that would indicate a tweaked unibody.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Not sure how that's a definate answer although I'd like to hear a detailed explaination to that theory. If that's the cause,then the height diff would be significant and that would indicate a tweaked unibody.
It's very possible that the struts are a few millimeters closer together than "normal," causing the bar to bend more. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a couple of mi limiters would make in perfect fitment.

Why do you think that the height difference would have to be significantly higher?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by O RLY
It's very possible that the struts are a few millimeters closer together than "normal," causing the bar to bend more. You'd be surprised how much of a difference a couple of mi limiters would make in perfect fitment.

Why do you think that the height difference would have to be significantly higher?

Because I had to guess vs hear what your theory was. He should comment and say if he had to squeeze the bar in to make it fit. I had to but only the very slightest amount.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Just dremel out the brackets so you can seat the bar farther down.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
Just dremel out the brackets so you can seat the bar farther down.
+1, or you should just get some foam tape and stick it on the parts of the hood that rubs against the bar...that would stop the rattle

Old 04-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I just readjusted my NRG FSTB (Richie's V2) last week. Even at the lowest setting on both sides, it still clears my Crawford V5 plenum. Still rubs he hood liner though

Old 04-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Clearance over the plenum is fine; rubbing down the hood and making both of those parts look like crap (cause of scratches) is the issue.

Someone said the accident might be causing this. I would have to say that that would be the most probable cause, but I guess I would be surprised at the super snug fit so close to the hood. (I know it was designed to clear plenums and spacers, etc.)

I think I will try the dremmelling if I get some time though. That was a good suggestion.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Red Card Crew

I don't know what bits you have for your dremel but IMHO that will take forever.

this is just my quick thought but I'd drill a very small pilot hole exactly in the same place on each side of the bracket. Then make bigger holes using a bigger drill bits. I know it's easier said then done because I have access to a drill press but even a cord drill should accomodate a fairly large drill bit. Then once you get the biggest bit you can, then use the cutting wheel on your dremel to get the rest. This why you can control how much material comes off and be sure to match the material taken out on each bracket.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know what bits you have for your dremel but IMHO that will take forever.

this is just my quick thought but I'd drill a very small pilot hole exactly in the same place on each side of the bracket. Then make bigger holes using a bigger drill bits. I know it's easier said then done because I have access to a drill press but even a cord drill should accomodate a fairly large drill bit. Then once you get the biggest bit you can, then use the cutting wheel on your dremel to get the rest. This why you can control how much material comes off and be sure to match the material taken out on each bracket.
A high speed cutting bit will make quick work of that

Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Richie's Bar....?

I don't know why you're having issues with Richie's bar, I have a 1/2" MD
spacer and I don't have issues. I did however read the instructions Richie
included with his bar and I believe it states not to jack up the car or move it
while installing the braces. I was careful not to even lean on my car while
installing those bar braces. To enhance the rigidity of the bar I did attach
the bar with grade 8 bolts/nuts....foreign stainless bolts suck quality wise!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
well let's be realistic. I don't have "high speed" drills or drill presses in my garage. I'll think about that idea using multiple bits to take out little by little. This mod is going to take me all evening.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Richie's Strut Bar V2 doesn't quite fit for me (pics)