how many times normally can you turn OEM rotors ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
and amateurs will always argue no matter what.
That is evident in your comments

Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
That is evident in your comments
Unfortunately "Professional" said exactly what I was saying.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
"Professionals" are also those people that work at Jiffy Lube, just because you get paid to do something doesn't mean you know everything. There are "professionals"(ie infiniti dealerships) which will also tell you that rotors can't be turned at all and need to be replaced every time the brakes are done, do you follow that advice as well?

Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Red Card Crew

Really? That's why the picture shows the "professionals" deglazing the rotors by hand?

Haynes, the end all auto authority.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ ok .... then post up something that shows different by another source.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Red Card Crew

Why. Your article doesn't REQUIRE turning. Only recommends. The on top of that, shows you how to check and prepare the rotor if you DON'T turn them.

Plus I've acutally DONE probably 10+ brake jobs on various cars. New rotors, turned rotors, existing rotors etc....

Personal experience > *

Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Why. Your article doesn't REQUIRE turning. Only recommends. The on top of that, shows you how to check and prepare the rotor if you DON'T turn them.

Plus I've acutally DONE probably 10+ brake jobs on various cars. New rotors, turned rotors, existing rotors etc....

Personal experience > *
+1, except not as many as the dinosaur here, only ~5 in my lifetime

Old 04-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mean people suck !

What a dumb thread...nothing but vile comments....nothing of value for someone whos is truly looking for constructive information/advice.... Turning rotors each time you change pads can lead to premature and expensive rotor replacement later. Of course those that are in the business of repairing and providing a service such as turning rotors are going to recommend it, I would...

Use commons sense. If you want to follow the various manuals go for it and turn your rotors each time...likewise dont forget to follow the manual and only drive the speed limit and get all your work done at the dealership.

Out !

ps: I don’t turn my rotors every time I replace pads. I replace pads before they start squealing or making that awful grinding noise. I consider pad replacement maintenance a regular event like an oil change and replace pads and rotors based on visual inspection (pads wear out at different rates based on driving habits). I don't use a tool to measure rotor thickness or perform a groove “analysis”, give me a break. You can tell by simply looking at the rotor and running your finger across the surface (Make sure the rotor is cool or you could burn yourself...another common sense thing, I can give you my opinion on telling you when the “rotor” is hot J..it is hot after driving and braking..don’t touch !). Anyway if you want to follow the manual and measure and calibrate go for it. I guess I’m old school and can tell by visual inspection and using something called common sense ! I have had trucks and cars (been driving over 30 years) and have replaced the rotors....hmmm twice..turned them maybe two or three times. Ladies and gentleman rotors are very hard to wear out......unless you never replace your pads and gouge your rotors they tend to last a long time..THEY ARE MEANT TO LAST A LONG TIME. Of course your driving habits, or lack of driving skill, could promote problems. Most people replace rotors to improve braking ability and to get the cool calipers with great colors and embossed names like Brembo on the calipers etc...For my driving if I have to replace a rotor that indicates that I really drive and brake very hard or have gotten sloppy with my brake pad replacement and I deserve to be slapped with an expensive brake part repair job! Ahhh...Brakes pad replacement, one of the last bastions of auto mechanics that is a candidate for a DIY...replace your pads frequently, its a fairly simply DIY and can give you a sense of accomplishment...

Last edited by g35fromAZ; 04-22-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gosh, over 5 pages and no clear definitive answer whether to turn them or not. Just alot of arguing, this doesnt help me as I am running on 20% rear brake pad and was considering turning my rotors with new oem brakes.

Help me out people!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i refuse to turn my rotors after pad replacement...for daily driving purposes, I go two sets of pads per 1 set of rotors, i.e. I replace rotors every third pad change.

EVERYTIME I have had my rotors turned something has always been worse, most brake shops I feel do it so hastily that its counter productive, at least in my area.

I've never experienced a worse brake feel from not turning rotors, then again I dont let my pads wear down to the point of causing damage. Once rotors get warped or shows signs of bad wear, I replace them and the pads if it falls prior to my above change over point.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Retzius, i think G35fromAZ answered your question and pointed out what many of us have done in this thread. its clearly a personal preference...if you are due for new pads go ahead and replace them and if you think your rotors are fine I say just give it a shot and leave them alone.

if your rotors are showing distinquishable grooving or warping I would replace them, but feel free to try turning them. Your results with turned rotors will depend highly on the skills of the individual doing them and the equipment they use. I guess with regards to our cars and rotor cost, turning will save you, $50-$100ea depending on your choice of replacement rotors.

If you want, try it once and form your own opinion about the issue, let us know your results.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys. I've made up my mind. I going to just add rear brake pads. When I inspected the rotors they looked fine and the brakes currently feel fine right now.

It will serve me as experienced but I too am a but skeptical about the jobs they do when they turn rotors. Thanks again

Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by g35fromAZ
What a dumb thread...nothing but vile comments....nothing of value for someone whos is truly looking for constructive information/advice.... Turning rotors each time you change pads can lead to premature and expensive rotor replacement later. Of course those that are in the business of repairing and providing a service such as turning rotors are going to recommend it, I would...

Use commons sense. If you want to follow the various manuals go for it and turn your rotors each time...likewise dont forget to follow the manual and only drive the speed limit and get all your work done at the dealership.

Out !
So how was this any different than what has already been previously stated multiple times in this thread?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by redlude97
So how was this any different than what has already been previously stated multiple times in this thread?
Because he said it?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Pads would you recommend

Climate in AZ is warm. Driving habits are mostly street and no track. G is a 2007 Sedan. Leaning towards OEM based on some other threads but none specific to 2007. Project MU recommended for Brembos which are not on this 2007, and Hawk Pads are frontrunners.

Can anyone recommend a specific manufacturer or are the OEM the good option !

Last edited by g35fromAZ; 04-22-2008 at 09:09 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how many times normally can you turn OEM rotors ???