BBKs really make you stop that much shorter? Find out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Hey I admit, I'm upgrading. But only to the non brembo 05+. But I need 100-0 and 60-0 performance. I don't track so temps/fade resistance isn't as important. But the 03 brakes sacrafice too much rotor/pad wear to get their outstanding 110 ft time. The 05+ do the same w/o the rotor/pad wear and dust. I'd like to go to an oem brembo for performance and some bling. But the real attraction is the 2 pc rotors they make for this setup. Saves 4-6lbs each off of each front rotor.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All i know is that i've had the stock '07 sport brakes at the point where they were smoking and i lost them almost totally. I just did the EBC rotors and pads and it seems better the only downside is the noise. I am gonna have to look into the Stoptech 4-wheel kit. Before i was gonna just pick whatever the biggest possible set i could find was but that article has me thinking it may be a better idea to get the matched set. Good find!

Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 piece rotors result in a higher rotor and pad temperature since you lose the mass and heat sinking into hat. In theory the conductivity of the hat is higher than cast iron so the wheels may heat up faster.

Maybe Stoptech has data on the net result in the rotor pads vs the 2 types.

Obviously the 2 piece units have a lower propensity to warp.

Last edited by Q45tech; 04-28-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech

Obviously the 2 piece units have a lower propensity to warp.
FYI - Rotor "warping" is a myth. Assuming proper rotor manufacture and installation, torquing etc., uneven rotor surfaces are the result of uneven pad material transfer. See the other Stoptech article:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is the rub proper rotor manufacture

Very few plants in the world create absolutely homegenous cast iron in the pour. Fewer still go to the expense of machining for perfect balance after casting defects.

These hot spot defects allow the metal to warp from differential cooling [area shrouded by caliper after a full stop sitting still.

Many might find this useful: Note the comments about various treatments to reduce warping under extreme conditions...........obviously warping of the metal does exist regardless of the Stoptech comments to sell their products!
http://www.sae.org/events/bce/tutorial-ihm.pdf

Old 04-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
this has to be one of the better threads i've come across arguing these points...good jobs folks!

Im personally a fan of OEM upgrades whenever possible. I do like how companies like stoptech and racingbrake make their front BBK's work with the OEM rears which for most should be adequate when looking for more braking performance beyond slotted rotors and pads.

All I plan on doing for future brake perfomance on my brembo equipped G is a slotted rotor front and rear (maybe OEM sized two-piece if the wallet agrees), better pads, lines and fluid. and MAYBE some better ducting but I dont really plan on tracking the car so the prior mods will be done at time of replacement and not on a whim.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good find !

Old 04-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
a very good article. it seems like the BBK is a worth investment for those who like to drive hard. i still want to see a comparison with other BBK to see how their stopping power is.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by WhosRich
a very good article. it seems like the BBK is a worth investment for those who like to drive hard. i still want to see a comparison with other BBK to see how their stopping power is.
Good luck. Hell you can't even get brake bias data from most of these bling bling bbk makers much less any real world stopping data.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Red Card Crew

06+ NON BREMBO BRAKE SIZE INFO.

Fronts: Rotor 21.5 lbs 12.6" dia 28mm thick (used)

Caliper piston dia. 43mm od / 35mm id x 2 pistons (didn't know which one you need but I'm guessing it's the od). I also rounded up to the nearest mm it was close to 43 and 35 anyway

Rears: Rotor 13 lbs 12": dia. 16mm thick (used)

Caliper piston dia: 38mm od 29.25 mm id.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Good find Jeff. It's good to see a company actually doing some indepth research with their products before putting it on the market. For years I've saying that the stock, single piston, and rather ugly 03/04 brakes stop just as good as the factory Brembo kit in street and auto-x driving. I also agree with you that the 03/04 setup does compromise rotor/pad life for superior braking performance. However, IMO it's still cheaper to buy Brembo blanks ($85 ea) and OEM pads ($45) every 30K miles

Like you said, most BBK kits are strictly for the bling factor and I think their borderline "rice" because they often compromise overall braking performance and acceleration due to their size (brakes don't adequately warm in street driving) and their shear weight.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
It's not all about braking distances.

Take an OEM setup to the track, and a BBK setup to the track, and let's see which one takes the most abuse.

I guess you can say BBK's are a waste of money for those who don't track their cars and only do real world driving.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist

Take an OEM setup to the track, and a BBK setup to the track, and let's see which one takes the most abuse.

I guess you can say BBK's are a waste of money for those who don't track their cars and only do real world driving.

Sure, in road course situations, it's more about 100+mph to 50mph braking numerous times without fade rather than 70 to 0 panic stops. I understand that. I just feel, like Jeff, that most people don't understand that. Many see enormous, multi-piston brakes and think "damn, I bet that thing stops fast". Often times, the car does not stop as quickly because the BBK is simply too big to build the right amount heat under more normal driving. Just like anything on a car, you have to tailor it to the overall usage of the car. There's always a compromise.

I get a chuckle when people say the standard single piston G/Z brakes are too small and inadequate even though the braking data suggests otherwise. Nissan must have consulted the BMW play book because they been using single piston setups on many of their M-cars for years now.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Skaterbasist

I reviewed my thread and I see I wasn't too specific. I sure HOPE BBKs aren't about the brake dist performance because the test shows that there isn't a significant amount of improvement in that area. The test also shows the real purposed of BBKs, lower temp/less fade on the track.

For me, I need one/two stop brake dist performance. Given the data, the most I'd upgrade to is an OEM BBK. Mostly because I can see what the actual brake dist data really is. I wouldn't need more fade resistance than what the oem system could provide. I don't track my car at all.

I'm getting ready to do the 06+ Z non-brembo oem brake upgrade w/ ss lines soon

Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
not surprised on the results at all. Anyone who does not track the car regularly that has BBK is just for show and nothing else. I just wish i had brembo. With OEM brembos there aren't tracks in US that will make the brembos give up if u just upgrade the lines and the fluid. I never understood people who "upgraded" from OEM brembos. I wish sedans had that option.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BBKs really make you stop that much shorter? Find out