Alignment recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment recommendations

I have an 04 G35 coupe - non-brembo (meaning non performance suspension package)

I recently dropped the car on 350z Tein S-Techs (stock shocks). The drop looks good, and overall I'm happy with the drop.

I also had the SPC front (w/o shim kit) and rear camber kit installed, because one of my main concerns are uneven tire wear.

I went to Firestone for their lifetime alignment for $140 (possibly my first mistake).

The tech at Firestone doesn't seem to know how to properly adjust the camber kits, So i've had to go back a couple of times, trying to explain/show pictures of how to adjust the kits. Mainly he's having problems with the front kit which is the A-arm with the adjustable camber/caster bolts.

This is where i'm at right now.

Front Left:
Camber: -.07
Caster: 6.4
Toe: 0.05

Front right
Camber: -1.2
Caster: 7.2
Toe: 0.05

Rear Left
Camber: -1.5
Toe: 0.13

Rear Right
Camber: -1.5
Toe: 0.09

Technically i'm in spec in regards to the camber for front/rear, altho in the high end of the range. Toe is good, but my caster is all off.

I believe that with my type of drop (350z s-techs), and the camber kits, that I should be able to get my car set up better. Ideally i'd like my camber to be closer to -.05, and of course my caster to be correct at around 8.0

Do you guys know a alignment place that how worked on this camber kit before, and can do a good job adjusting the kit? Firestone doesn't want to adjust the kits, because it required them to unscrew the A-arm nut and adjust things, which they feel isn't part of thier deal. I convinced them to do some adjustments, but the tech basically just guessed by turning the adjusment, and when he got it in green, he was done. Also, he said that the caster doesn't necessarily need to be in spec, but as long as the cross caster isn't too bad. I know that my alignment isn't set up perfectly and I'm willing to pay more, for a place that has delt with this specific kit, and is willing to take the time to adjust everything properly. I mean I already spent the extra coin to get the camber kits, have them installed, where can I take it for them to do it right!?

I know that people have this front kit installed, is there a place/tech that you trust will do a good job?

My car needs new tires very soon, and i'm just going to go with the stock 19's, but i don't want to get new tires until my car is set up right. Either that or have the confidence that after i get new tires, i can take it to a shop that can adjust my camber kits correctly. Any recommendations?

I live in So.California, in Irvine.

Holla.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Why do you want to run such little camber in the front? -0.05 is going to handle like sh*t.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
well maybe like -0.5 to -1.0, but my point is, i'm looking for a shop that knows what they're doing, so that I can atleast have even camber (left/right), & correct caster.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Those were the specs AFTER the 350z stechs?

I've heard of Darren? at west end alignment in Gardena who does an awesome job..but a little pricy compared to firestone.

I went to firestone last time for an alignment..cheap but they didnt know what the hell theyre doing..and service sucked. never going back..

Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM
nm i just read that u had the front camber kit..

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
So you think Darren at West End, will take the time to do it right? Any idea about how much i'm looking at price-wise? I'm willing to spend a little more to get it set right, then hopefully i won't need to mess around with it for a long long time. I can always go to firestone (since i already have the lifetime) to just adjust my toe in the future as needed.

any other shop recommendations would be great as well.

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:45 PM
go to Johnson's alignment in torrance (hawthorne and 190th). they specialize in porsches and higher end cars, and porsche track cars. they've been around forever and do a great job. i think i paid $160? they know exactly what they're doing

Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to another shop, a good mechanic doesn't need a DIY to properly do the job and if he does then he's not certified to do that line of work in the first place.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:01 PM
hey turbodreamszG: Yea that was my first thought, but I'm just scared i'll take it to another place, and get a different monkey who doesn't know what they're doing...and waste more money. So I'm trying to get some recommendations or insights from other members.

Jinnguice, when you took your car to Johnson's did you have a front/rear camber kit? Were they able to get your car to the specs you wanted?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jig8
So you think Darren at West End, will take the time to do it right? Any idea about how much i'm looking at price-wise? I'm willing to spend a little more to get it set right, then hopefully i won't need to mess around with it for a long long time. I can always go to firestone (since i already have the lifetime) to just adjust my toe in the future as needed.

any other shop recommendations would be great as well.

Thanks.
Darren in west end will take his time and if it takes the whole day for him to do it perfect he will take that time and do it. I would not take my car anywhere but him after I saw what kind of customer service and helpful he was..

Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM
quick question. Does anyone know what the front/rear, camber/caster/toe settings are on a stock g35 coupe, with OEM 19's and sport suspension?

I can see what is "in spec" as in the acceptable range, but I was wondering does anyone know what the factory settings are.

....edit

Actually I was able to find the factory manual. So my question is...is the optimal setting the "nominal" setting? Which is basically the middle of the high/low range?

So is the idea settings ?

Front
Camber: -0.42 degrees
Caster: 8.08 degrees
Toe: 0.04 in

Rear
Camber: -1.25 degrees
Toe: 0.07 in

To clarify, i'm just talking about daily driving, with an emphasis on maximizing tire tread life...without risking performance. Basically, is this the settings that factory Gs come out of the showroom?

Last edited by jig8; 06-05-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
to maximize thread life ur toe and camber should be at 0, 0.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
to maximize thread life ur toe and camber should be at 0, 0.
True, but that is not nominal spec. (I am sure you know that, but I wanted to be verbose and make sure people dont get confused)