Slotted and Drilled Rotors=Less Surface Area=Less Braking??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James92TSi
Yes to both questions.

IMO the money one would spend on fancy rotors is much better spent on high quality pads that are appropriate for your car's intended use (I like Porterfield pads and *love* Carbotech), racing brake fluid (ATE Super Blue / Type 200 is my flavor of choice here) and stainless brake hoses to replace the rubber ones. Those parts combined with quality blank rotors would result in the best performance per dollar on an otherwise stock braking system.

Last thing to consider before spending gobs of money on brakes:

Brakes stop the wheels. Tires stop the car. How good are your front tires?
Agree! I just put on a complete set of brand-new Michelin PS2's.

I'm going in to the dealer next week for my 60K service and to fix my brake grind/squealing problem. I assume that I need new brake pads (and hopefully no rotor work!).

Any suggestions for the brake pads?

I'm fed up with the dust from the stock pads, but don't want to give up performance, especially in this cold & wet New England weather. I drive quite aggressively - mostly street/hwy (no racing). Should I stick with OEMs? Is it worth investing in the carbon-ceramic systems for a car like the G35?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my driving impression of the OEM Brembo pads is that they have great initial bite when cold, slightly less bite when warmed up, and are not good at all at repeat stops when hot. I also think they are pretty bad on dust. They're a good quality pad for the masses (who mostly use brakes cold), but a bit soft if you are keeping the brakes warm.

For agressive street driving, you are sort of straddling the line between high quality street pads and the less agressive end of race pads. Thing about race pads is, some brands are really bad about making noise and eating rotors when cold, and some brands are really dusty too. If that sort of thing annoys you, you're best off sticking with street pads.

I'll probably end up with Carbotech XP8s (their least agressive race pad) on my G next time around. XP8 is the most agressive compound one should use on street tires... XP10 and up have so much initial bite that they can lockup a street tire instantly. XP8 might be a little annoying when cold, but I'm OK with that.

Carbotech AX6 is one step down from XP8, and as the name implies it is an autocross pad. I don't have any experience with this one, but I hear it's great as a street pad. Since autocrossers do not get to warm their brakes up, these pads are designed to be used cold or hot, but they have lower max operating temp than the XP pads.

Recommended reading: http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.html#4

Aside from Carbotech, I also recommend Porterfield R4S pads for street cars... but just know that they are about as bad as the OEM Brembos when it comes to dust. I've never had any noise issues with them and they do stop the car very well from sane speeds, and even from insane speeds *once*. I would not try repeat stops from insane speeds with them though, as they are not made for that kind of high-temp use.

In my order of preference, for a car with street tires:
1 Carbotech XP8 (but these are race pads and might annoy you)
2 Carbotech AX6
3 Porterfield R4S or Carbotech Bobcat
4 OEM Brembo.

I know I sound like a Carbotech ad, but I really love their stuff.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James92TSi
Well, my driving impression of the OEM Brembo pads is that they have great initial bite when cold, slightly less bite when warmed up, and are not good at all at repeat stops when hot. I also think they are pretty bad on dust. They're a good quality pad for the masses (who mostly use brakes cold), but a bit soft if you are keeping the brakes warm.

For agressive street driving, you are sort of straddling the line between high quality street pads and the less agressive end of race pads. Thing about race pads is, some brands are really bad about making noise and eating rotors when cold, and some brands are really dusty too. If that sort of thing annoys you, you're best off sticking with street pads.

I'll probably end up with Carbotech XP8s (their least agressive race pad) on my G next time around. XP8 is the most agressive compound one should use on street tires... XP10 and up have so much initial bite that they can lockup a street tire instantly. XP8 might be a little annoying when cold, but I'm OK with that.

Carbotech AX6 is one step down from XP8, and as the name implies it is an autocross pad. I don't have any experience with this one, but I hear it's great as a street pad. Since autocrossers do not get to warm their brakes up, these pads are designed to be used cold or hot, but they have lower max operating temp than the XP pads.

Recommended reading: http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.html#4

Aside from Carbotech, I also recommend Porterfield R4S pads for street cars... but just know that they are about as bad as the OEM Brembos when it comes to dust. I've never had any noise issues with them and they do stop the car very well from sane speeds, and even from insane speeds *once*. I would not try repeat stops from insane speeds with them though, as they are not made for that kind of high-temp use.

In my order of preference, for a car with street tires:
1 Carbotech XP8 (but these are race pads and might annoy you)
2 Carbotech AX6
3 Porterfield R4S or Carbotech Bobcat
4 OEM Brembo.

I know I sound like a Carbotech ad, but I really love their stuff.
Ok - you've convinced me - think I'll try out the Bobcat 1521s. I don't think I really need the performance of the XP8 - plus it seems to be quite dusty and nosiy to boot (though not as corrosive as the OEM pads).

Also, looks like many Porsche owners swear by the Carbotech pads......

Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chestercwang
OEM rotors are fine and the only reason i went with XD+S is for looks.. and yes i have R1 premium rotors, which is the same blank as Stoptech slotted rotors (both from Centric), so performanice-wise they are the same. Yes i have heard they rust, but when you buy them just spray them with high-temp paint (Dupli-color clear) before you install them. I've done many carwashs and even driven my car through huge thunderstorms without having any rusts
+1 on painting the R1s. The set on my sedan hasn't rusted where the pad doesn't swipe. Even my not so inexpensive Rotora rotors rusted, so I painted them too.

IMO, for normal street driving (no track time) whatever you like (slotted, drilled, solid, or drilled and slotted) will be more than adequate.