Cost of brake job?

Old 03-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Cost of brake job?

Honestly man i had the same problem that you did except it was at 10k miles!... INfiniti was good to me after i complained that the breaks sucked and they good willed the part... I personally dont like infiniti breaks they where out way to fast

Old 04-04-2003, 07:46 PM

I really can't believe what people and apparently Infiniti dealers are saying about the brakes issue on these cars. Hard pads don't dust like they do on these cars. Soft pads do. Replacing a rotor at 15k of normal driving is absurd. Period. Hondas used to put throwaway rotors on their Civics. They were too thin to be turned but they lasted longer then 15k and were fairly inexpensive to replace.

I own a Corvette Z06. A high performance car by any standard with very good brakes. I have 30k on my car and am just now getting to the point where I need to change the OEM pads. Not only will I NOT be replacing the rotors, GM states not to turn them unless there is excessive runout. GM OEM rotors are nothing special and people who autocross their cars find they need to change rotors often. They put brakes through extreme conditions and typically use racing pads that can chew up a rotor. GM OEM rotors can be had for about $70 a piece if you know where to look.

So I really don't understand all this talk about throwaway rotors on a $30k vehicle. Or the replacement cost. Especially after a mere 15k mileage. The brakes on my G35 are nice but they can't compare to the stopping power of my Z. Sounds to me more like a bad design or cheap materials being used.
Just my .02

Incidently, the front pads on my G35 are at 20% after 10k miles and they squeak like crazy. I don't even drive the car. My wife does. I'm going to throw a set of aftermarket pads on the original rotors and see what happens.

mark

Old 04-28-2003, 07:15 PM

how about that No Squeek goop stuff? It's usually in a squeeze bottle and orange. Will that work?

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 04-28-2003, 07:48 PM

When Did you get them done at Ardmore? I was there 4/22 and inquired as a informed owner about the issue and the handed me a card that looked like it was a copied note from Corporate Nissan saying basically that it is your problem since you bought a high performance car. Maybe if you bitch they will accomodate? They seemingly are inconsistent with making people whole on this. I will be freaking on them for sure. 8500 miles and they said brakes were fine.

Do you brake hard alot? I was told not to downshift or even use the shifter on the manumatic...the thing sux but at least you could brake with the motor - or so I Thought

How bout that your service dept is not in the dealership. At VW just threatened to loiter in the showroom until they did what I wanted.