difficulty removing front strut/spring on a coupe...help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
difficulty removing front strut/spring on a coupe...help?

I gave up in trying to remove my front spring/strut on my '03 coupe today. I couldn't get the lower control arm low enough to get the bottom of the strut over it. I removed a bolt on the upper control arm which is the bolt closest to the front of the car, and removed the lower stablizer bar bolt, but still do not have enough clearance. Does anyone have any tips to help me get this thing out?

thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can go rent or buy a spring compressor from an autozone or a car parts store and use that to compress the spring/stut just enough to clear the bottom control arm. Another way to make more room to get the spring/strut out the car is to remove the bolt connecting the upper control arm to the acutal wheel spindle. I hope that helps.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
like djkace suggested, a spring compressor and removing the bolt at the top of the arm should work. well thats what worked for me anyways it's a b*tch to get off so good luck and hope you get it to work for ya.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
impact gun, nothing else needed I have done about 20 g's

Old 07-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think he was concerned about the bolt connecting the lower part of the strut, that's all an impact gun will help with.

As long as you have unbolted the front sway bar endlink from the hub and the bolt holding the upper A arm onto the steering knuckle (which your description seems to indicate you have) you should be fine. It takes some muscle but all I did was to grab the spring (around the shock) and start pulling down (towards the ground) really hard. After a few good hard jerks, the three bolts should come out of their holes. Then you tip the shock/spring assembly forward towards the fender and the lower part should be able to come lose. One thing to check where I had some trouble. If you unbolt the upper a arm and the sway bar, there's nothing holding the knuckle/hub straight anymore. You will see that because of the caliper weight, etc it has a tendency to fall to the side (towards the front of the car). If it does this the knuckle will actually bind up the lower part of the shock/spring assembly. Simply grab the top of the knuckle move it back straight and you should be able to get it out.

If you simply can't tug enough, get a spring compressor