coilovers vs true coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
coilovers vs true coilovers

for those who had the true coilover set up how does it ride vs the set up vs coilovers.

i was already told the difference, but which ones do you guys perfer i plan on getting the megan racing coilovers which i think are the true coilover set up. link below

http://www.optionimports.com/meracokitni3.html

Old 07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers and true coilovers are the same.

Are you referring to shocks/springs combo that are advertised as coilovers, like the ones on eBay?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 AM
hmm...maybe i was told wrong?

Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stillmatic
Coilovers and true coilovers are the same.

Are you referring to shocks/springs combo that are advertised as coilovers, like the ones on eBay?
You don't know what you are talking about. "True coilovers" refer to adjustable suspension systems for the Z/G that relocates the rear spring from the spring bucket to the shock mount. "Coilovers" utilize the OEM spring location and seperate spring/shock setups in the rear

Old 07-21-2008, 01:05 AM
That probably makes sense for our cars. However, for any other setup, I've never heard of coilovers vs true coilovers, besides the adjustable springs that you could mount onto OEM shocks/struts.

What does coilover mean?
The term coilover describes a suspension design where a coil spring is placed around the shock absorber. In fact, your Honda probably already has coilovers as stock! Coilover design is used as opposed to leaf springs on trucks, torsion bars (like 1st gen CRX and Integra), and torsion beams (like VW rear axles where the coil spring is placed separately from the shock to allow more interior space). Kits from Ground Control and Skunk2 are often loosely called "coilovers" and is wrong. They are more appropriately called "adjustable spring" kits, and can be used to convert originally non-coilover suspension to coilover suspension (trucks do this all the time). These kits are mainly for those who wish to customize their suspension because of the adjustability that these kits offer.

Source: http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/coilover.html

Old 07-21-2008, 02:12 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
this is a g35 site right? Isn't it kind of implied we are talking about our particular suspension setup? If you did a little bit of search on this site then you would know what people meant by coilover and true coilover

Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 AM
I think a better way to refer to them is "full coilover" rather than coilover vs true coilover. As far as I know, cars are cars. In the outside world, if someone referred to coilovers the way certain people here refer to them, I think people would think they're crazy.

Since the opposite of TRUE is false/fake, then does that make the coilover setups that Tein, HKS, and etc makes are fake? It doesn't make sense.

What about "true" coilovers?
The term "true" coilover is a result of the general misnaming of coilovers mentioned above. There is nothing more "true" about these suspension parts. "True" coilovers refers to what is correctly described as integrated threaded body shocks and adjustable lower perch that usually come with the spring. A more proper term should be "full coilover". Typically (not always) these shocks are of better quality than off the shelf shocks like Koni and Tokico and provide more adjustability in shock settings (such as separate ride height adjustment which allows the car to be lowered without sacrificing shock travel). However, you can buy just as high quality shocks with the same adjustability as well from other reputable manufacturers that can be custom valved for your application (and knowledgeable advice in English...) And with adjustable spring perch kits from GC and custom spring rates, it doesnt necessarily make full coilovers any better in equal comparison. What you are generally paying for when buying full coilover kits is a turnkey solution (but not necessarily optimum) with both shocks and springs for your car. Also, keep in mind that most autocrossers and road racers who dont use full coilovers are usually limited to their class rules that dont allow threaded body shocks or remote reservoir shocks and are limited to the number of shock adjustability settings - not just their pocketbooks.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
hahaa, i didnt ask my an arguement but thanks guys thats all i needed to know.