Shock & Strut Upgrade... Do it!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Shock & Strut Upgrade... Do it!!!

Well, today i got my Tokico HP shocks & struts installed... Totally worth it.

i already had H&R springs, Stillen sways and a full SPC camber/toe kit. big improvements over the stock non-sport setup BUT there was just something missing. speed bumps sucked, way too bouncy for a DD. the sways really helped keepin' it flat in a corner(set to med/med) BUT some roll and i didn't wanna set 'em to hard/hard since it's my daily driver.

so i looked into shocks & struts. at first adjustable seemed like the way to go BUT then i realized that realistically i would prob set 'em once and never touch them again(same reason i stayed away from coilovers). so i decided to keep my setup simple. i chose the Tokico HPs because they make the OEM setup, so quality wasn't an issue. also liked the price, i picked up a full set brand new ones from Stillen for $373(after a $20 discount) w/free shipping.

got 'em installed today and WOW really just tied everything together nicely. stays even flatter in the twisties and goes over bumps better than my Wife's stock Sport-suspension(she also drives a 1st Gen G sedan). it just flat out feels more planted overall.

all in all i'm 100% satisfied w/my purchase. The HP series compliment's the H&R springs perfectly. i'd recommend them to anyone lookin' to complete their suspension setup w/o spending big $$$ on coilovers.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
bump

Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
niice...i might do a similar spring/shock combo in the future. i visited southern california about 3 weeks ago and i've been missing it ever since. whenever i go i always make it a point to drive the ortega highway rt 74. maybe you should test drive your setup there during the dawn hour!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 PM
yeah, love it here... i've run ortega before, a lot of construction though last time i went. julian is really nice and i've been wanting to hit palomar mt. good luck w/ur G lemme know when ya get the new setup and how ya like it.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
Well, today i got my Tokico HP shocks & struts installed... Totally worth it.

i already had H&R springs, Stillen sways and a full SPC camber/toe kit. big improvements over the stock non-sport setup BUT there was just something missing. speed bumps sucked, way too bouncy for a DD. the sways really helped keepin' it flat in a corner(set to med/med) BUT some roll and i didn't wanna set 'em to hard/hard since it's my daily driver..
Yea... should have gotten struts before the springs if you wanted handling...

An ideal set-up for handling (more traction) is less bound, more rebound. Since most of these struts and coilovers control both bound and rebound together, if you set your struts too stiff, you'll have too much bound and that may be worse than not having enough rebound. But that would also depend on the make and model of the suspension.

Last edited by dofu; 08-01-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed a set of front/rear shocks/springs from the 08 nismo z last weekend. Pain in the ***(second time I've swapped out the full suspension in 3 years). Along with my front strut bar and my stillen sways, the shocks/springs have really made my suspension work as intended. Its a bit stiff; one passenger complained of a soar neck after less than 10 minutes of riding; but I wish this suspension was offered as an option stock.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I just installed a set of front/rear shocks/springs from the 08 nismo z last weekend. Pain in the ***(second time I've swapped out the full suspension in 3 years). Along with my front strut bar and my stillen sways, the shocks/springs have really made my suspension work as intended. Its a bit stiff; one passenger complained of a soar neck after less than 10 minutes of riding; but I wish this suspension was offered as an option stock.
how much did the Nismo Z setup run ya???

Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Staff Alumni
$450 plus shipping, and they had 9k on them. The shocks are not adjustable, but the full set was cheaper than a set of tokico's by themselves. Plus the fronts had the topmounts with the springs already on - so no spring compressor!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM
i got my Tokico HP(non-adj) for $373 w/free shipping BUT i my H&R springs ran me like $280. so good deal on ur part. i originally wanted the HP's for the Z but the techs recommened i stick w/the G part number. if ya have too replace ur suspension again, you should just hold on to the Z springs and get the Z Tokico HPs.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
trey,

what strut bar did ya get??? i'm lookin' at the NRG one.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Staff Alumni
I've got the ritchie bar. Bought it about a year and half ago. I took it off earlier this year because I was swapping out my airbox, and I forgot to put it back on. So I drove around with it off for about 6 months.

The difference isn't as dramatic as the shocks/springs; you can feel the suspension working all the time, even while braking or going in a straight line. But the strut bar really does make a difference with stability of the front-end.

The steering, even while going in a straight line, is much more elastic. It requires a little more effort, but I'm fine with that. Along with the increased effort, it wants to return to the normal position much more readily.

Also, when I dive into a corner, I can feel a major difference. I could actually feel the front end torque around the turn almost like a fulcrum. But with the strut bar, its much more controlled. Plus without the strut bar, I could always feel the outer front tire scrubbing badly; with the strut bar, both front tires retain more of the contact patch, if that makes any sense.

If you get ritchie's bar, don't be discouraged. When it first came out, a lot of people complained about its rigidity. You can literally place it over your leg and cause it to flex while pulling down on each end. But when its mounted in the car, it does its job.

FYI - spend more time time outside of the sedan section . I've got threads all over the place about almost all of my mods.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Staff Alumni
Here's a link to richie's newest thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/suspens...ed-events.html

Here's a link to the original thread(though it was closed long ago):
https://g35driver.com/forums/suspens...strut-bar.html

And here's my original thread/review of the strut bar:
https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...strut-bar.html

Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I've got the ritchie bar. Bought it about a year and half ago. I took it off earlier this year because I was swapping out my airbox, and I forgot to put it back on. So I drove around with it off for about 6 months.

The difference isn't as dramatic as the shocks/springs; you can feel the suspension working all the time, even while braking or going in a straight line. But the strut bar really does make a difference with stability of the front-end.

The steering, even while going in a straight line, is much more elastic. It requires a little more effort, but I'm fine with that. Along with the increased effort, it wants to return to the normal position much more readily.

Also, when I dive into a corner, I can feel a major difference. I could actually feel the front end torque around the turn almost like a fulcrum. But with the strut bar, its much more controlled. Plus without the strut bar, I could always feel the outer front tire scrubbing badly; with the strut bar, both front tires retain more of the contact patch, if that makes any sense.

If you get ritchie's bar, don't be discouraged. When it first came out, a lot of people complained about its rigidity. You can literally place it over your leg and cause it to flex while pulling down on each end. But when its mounted in the car, it does its job.

FYI - spend more time time outside of the sedan section . I've got threads all over the place about almost all of my mods.
hahahah.... thanks, i guess. i'm not a newb BTW. pretty sure i have more mods than you, LOL. check out the link in my sig for my ride & mods.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Staff Alumni
Want to compare mods ?

On the car now:
k&n air filter in the stock airbox
oem ztube
mrev+/5/16" spacer
ichiba headers
kinetix resonated test pipes
stillen gen1 sedan exhaust
utec tuned by Sharif@forgedperformance
custom made oil catch can
ngk iridium plugs
clutchmasters stage1 clutch
jwt flywheel

That's all the gofast stuff. Suspension includes the suspension we're presently discussing, front/rear stillen sways, and richie's strut bar.

I'm currently running general exclaim UHP's, 245/45/18, on a set of Kazera 18" wheels.

In my garage, I've got two oem y pipes, a 350z midpipe with welded extension, an 05 sedan midpipe and muffler, extra engine cover, front/rear shocks and springs from an 04 coupe, another k&n filter, front/rear shocks/springs from my 05 sedan, my stock exhaust manifolds, stock cats, stock intake tube, a stillen airbox, my original clutch and flywheel, a set of 4 coupe 18" wheels, a pair of enkei 16" wheels with drag radials mounted, and my wife's stock wheels from her 07 sedan sport. That doesn't include the kinetix highflow cats or crawfords cats that I no longer have. Seriously, I've been through 9 different exhaust configurations.

Sorry - my point wasn't that I've done more things or that I have more mods. My original point was that I've written a post about practically every thing I've had on my car, and practically every trip to the drag strip. I don't have much "new" to say

Old 08-02-2008, 01:18 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
i'm not a newb BTW.
Hun, in the car game you may well not be a noob but honestly slightly over 6 months in the grand scheme of this forum is kinda still a noob. He wasn't being a jerk (I promise! I can sniff that out pretty quickly lol), he was pointing you that way in case you were not aware. There are people on here who are here for longer than you before they realize there are more sections that just sedan or coupe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shock & Strut Upgrade... Do it!!!