Can a normal wheel-alignment shop do a corner balance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a normal wheel-alignment shop do a corner balance?

I'm looking into buying a set of coilovers and plan on installing them myself but I'm a little lost on the whole corner balancing thing. When I take the car to get the alignment done can they do a corner balance? I'm talking like at pep boys, or hibdons....just normal tire shops.

Also do I need front and rear camber kits if I drop the car more than an inch? I want it as low as I can possibly drive it by the way.

Thanks for the help!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by larry79
I'm looking into buying a set of coilovers and plan on installing them myself but I'm a little lost on the whole corner balancing thing. When I take the car to get the alignment done can they do a corner balance? I'm talking like at pep boys, or hibdons....just normal tire shops.
Corner Balancing...Pep Boys...I don't think so...

Also do I need front and rear camber kits if I drop the car more than an inch? I want it as low as I can possibly drive it by the way.
Yes, more than likely!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
corner balancing is over rated... unless you have 100% stiction free suspensions arms/parts, otherwise you will have different reading everything you hop in and out of the car. Guaranteed!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:56 PM
overrated unless you are seriously racing your car.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool, thanks for clearing that up! It's just a street car that might see the track once or twice a year so I just need to get the ride height set and have a alignment job done right?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
cool, thanks for clearing that up! It's just a street car that might see the track once or twice a year so I just need to get the ride height set and have a alignment job done right?
Exactly.

I don't know if you've been quoted for corner balancing yet but it can be very expensive.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
I don't know much experience do you have with suspension setup, but I would still call it overrated... Having the roll center and suspension geometry at the right spot is a lot more important then tackle the last 5% of the cross weight.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM
ehhh, I'd probably still get it done if I was actually racing my car though.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gunluvS14
corner balancing is over rated... unless you have 100% stiction free suspensions arms/parts, otherwise you will have different reading everything you hop in and out of the car. Guaranteed!!!
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
Right......... If u have coilovers for looks only yes it is seriously overrrated. If u want them to perform better than any set of springs out there corner balance is a must. I will guarantee u that any set of coilovers without corner balance will not perform better times on a road course than just ur regular 150-200 dollar springs. No go ahead and skip corner balancing.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
Right......... If u have coilovers for looks only yes it is seriously overrrated. If u want them to perform better than any set of springs out there corner balance is a must. I will guarantee u that any set of coilovers without corner balance will not perform better times on a road course than just ur regular 150-200 dollar springs. No go ahead and skip corner balancing.
+1..I agree!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
haha, how many of you actually do club racing? yet alone autoX?
entry level junk "JDM: coilover won't get you anywhere....sure, you have 5,635 way adjustable and infinite height adjustablility. Most of them are overdamp in compression and underdamp in rebound. Don't lie, I know most of you swear the hype JDM stuff is the bomb.

Go ahead, do your corner balancing.... hop into the car after your "balancing", drive around the block and get back on the weight pad and tell me what's your cross weight afterward.

If you still have interior in your car, don't worry about corner balancing.
If you still drive that car one the street, don't worry about corner balancing.
If you still have most of your suspension bushings in rubber or urethane, don't worry about corner balancing.
If you do your "trackday" or HPDE and STILL running street tires, don't worry about corner balancing...

Instead, get a good solid alignment, pay for good rubber, hit up the track, and stop spreading ignorance on internet.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 AM
haha, how many of you actually do club racing? yet alone autoX?
entry level junk "JDM: coilover won't get you anywhere....sure, you have 5,635 way adjustable and infinite height adjustablility. Most of them are overdamp in compression and underdamp in rebound. Don't lie, I know most of you swear the hype JDM stuff is the bomb.

Go ahead, do your corner balancing.... hop into the car after your "balancing", drive around the block and get back on the weight pad and tell me what's your cross weight afterward.

If you still have interior in your car, don't worry about corner balancing.
If you still drive that car one the street, don't worry about corner balancing.
If you still have most of your suspension bushings in rubber or urethane, don't worry about corner balancing.
If you do your "trackday" or HPDE and STILL running street tires, don't worry about corner balancing...

Instead, get a good solid alignment, pay for good rubber, hit up the track, and stop spreading ignorance on internet.
this is the most ignorant and misinformed post i have ever seen on this forum. Don't spread BS on this forum, just stfu.

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
this is the most ignorant and misinformed post i have ever seen on this forum. Don't spread BS on this forum, just stfu.

Thanks.
Once you started to insult other forum member by telling them stfu, I have no respect to you. I don't have to treat you as a mature adult. You are just one of those internet badass, arm chair racer, nothing special.

Mind to share and enlighten me why you think what I said is ignorant and misinform? What's your creditial?

I've search most of the posts that you've made, most of them are off-topic sex related topic, you have read a corner balancing thread on nsxprime, and you asked about BC coilover vs JIC magic. Nothing of them share information about your track history, or knowledge share about suspension.

I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer from Georgia Southern University, I had 2 years experience with Formula SAE, in fact I'm the head of the suspension team for both years. I'm the moderator of freshalloy.com in 240sx section, and currently I'm the point leader in SCCA solo2 STX class in coastal empire region.

Don't tell me to STFU, unless you have solid information to tell me that I'm wrong.

Back on topic:

I'm serious, having the right tires, tire pressure, and alignment are the most important thing in suspension setup. Corner balancing is so minor and most racer won't get too caught up with it.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM
Once you started to insult other forum member by telling them stfu, I have no respect to you. I don't have to treat you as a mature adult. You are just one of those internet badass, arm chair racer, nothing special.

Mind to share and enlighten me why you think what I said is ignorant and misinform? What's your creditial?

I've search most of the posts that you've made, most of them are off-topic sex related topic, you have read a corner balancing thread on nsxprime, and you asked about BC coilover vs JIC magic. Nothing of them share information about your track history, or knowledge share about suspension.

I graduated as a Mechanical Engineer from Georgia Southern University, I had 2 years experience with Formula SAE, in fact I'm the head of the suspension team for both years. I'm the moderator of freshalloy.com in 240sx section, and currently I'm the point leader in SCCA solo2 STX class in coastal empire region.

Don't tell me to STFU, unless you have solid information to tell me that I'm wrong.

Back on topic:

I'm serious, having the right tires, tire pressure, and alignment are the most important thing in suspension setup. Corner balancing is so minor and most racer won't get too caught up with it.
Well since you have the brain to grasp some information let me enlighten u why corner balancing is so important.

When coilovers are installed those measurements are off most of the time, as far as the ride height goes, no matter how you get them (except weighing the car). Now the result of that is different behavior from going right/left. For example when i got mine installed i was very disappointed because the car would grip very nice going into a right corner and snap oversteer when making a left turn. Changing direction sucked compared to regular springs that i had before. I did get the car aligned a week after the coilover install and was have the same issues. I initially thought my coilovers sucked or i just had to get used the way car behaved. Obviously when i got it corner balanced it changed the cars steering/overall grip/balance/ the over all handling was night and day difference.

How am i qualified to say all this and do a comparison between springs/coilovers/after and before corner balance?
I have been driving this car for almost 4 years. By driving i have pushed the car to its limits and went over the limits many times. Recently by changing the front tire's PSI by 4 PSI, I got rid of an understeer that i was getting under hard braking and entering a corner. I do notice how the car behaves, and if there are minor things that change in the car’s handling characteristics, when 99% of the people would NOT when driving the car hard.

Yes tires/alignment/tire pressure have a lot to do with it as well as corner balancing. As i said 99% of the time when coilovers are installed they throw the car's X balance off a lot!

U can go ahead and say whatever u want just don't give people false information when it comes to stuff like these. Its because of people like u that claim to be the biggest brains on this forum that most of the people on this forum do not have a clue what makes the car go fast and whats not.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Corner balancing can be thrown off by something as simple as a half tank of fuel sloshing around in a corner. (dedicated fuel cell can solve this very quickly... but who's that hardcore? )

Better rubber > corner balancing.

Corner balancing is similar to a grounding kit; it rounds off and finishes the car, but is not a MAJOR performance player until you're way off on the deep end.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can a normal wheel-alignment shop do a corner balance?