Looking for softer ride

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
You are not going to get much softer than the stock sport setup. Maybe changing to the non-sport will help a bit but overall I think you need to start looking for another car.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dunno what size wheels you have but the bigger the sidewall on tire the softer the ride over bumps and crappy roads.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by G35tilInfiniti
I create a thread and your response is that I have the wrong car. You knew nothing about the car or it's life and how it has been used, yet you think you know it all. You have no opinion. You're just talking out of your ****.
You described your car in the first post: "My 03.5 G35 sedan has the "sport" package"

What else would I need to know to make a personal suggestion?

Exactly what I want to hear? I want to hear suggestions to answer my questions. You have no suggestions, so why reply? I dont tell you that you have the wrong car despite not keeping it stock. Again, you should mind your own business.
Keep up with the name calling & attitude and I'll close this thread. I didn't see any reason for you to get so **** about my own personal opinion.

Originally Posted by ttrank
You are not going to get much softer than the stock sport setup. Maybe changing to the non-sport will help a bit but overall I think you need to start looking for another car.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Going non-sport OEM springs may do the trick. Are the shocks any different in the sport and non-sport oem?
No the non-sport springs will not be worth the trouble or money getting them put on because of how trivial of a difference it will make. If that was you making the thread about toning down the exhaust, just sell the car or stop whining about these insignificant things. I've ridden in a G sedan and it is plenty soft, and the exhaust is not even heard..... Go buy a car for old people like a cadillac sedan or stop asking us stupid questions about these cars.

P.S. Complaining about stupid things on the G and talking ishhh to a moderator FTL

You sir FAIL.

Last edited by SteveBlake; 09-01-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's right, I'm willing to give up some of my stability for a smoother ride. It has been fun the past (almost) 6 years but I find everyday driving on L.A. streets to be too harsh for the current set up.

BTW, if anyone saw the report, LA was ranked as having the worst roads in the country.

My 03.5 G35 sedan has the "sport" package. What are my best options to accomplish a more plush ride with regards to price and effectiveness?

Thanks.
buy a different car

Old 09-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
You described your car in the first post: "My 03.5 G35 sedan has the "sport" package"

What else would I need to know to make a personal suggestion?

Keep up with the name calling & attitude and I'll close this thread. I didn't see any reason for you to get so **** about my own personal opinion.

Keep your personal suggestions to yourself. I was asking about tweaking the car. Get over it, I'm not dropping a SC in. Everyone has their own preferences.

As for name calling... where??? And attitude? You really need to look in the mirror. There have been only a couple of people here who actually cared to give a sincere answer and I am having a mature convo with them. Others who wanted to flame, got checked, you included.

I'm not getting **** about your own personal opinion. Your suggestion to get another car added zero to this thread. Your threat of closing this thread is laughable because I am jabbing back at others who decide to make this amateur night at the Laugh Factory. Control the people causing trouble if you'd like to patrol the site.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
No the non-sport springs will not be worth the trouble or money getting them put on because of how trivial of a difference it will make. If that was you making the thread about toning down the exhaust, just sell the car or stop whining about these insignificant things. I've ridden in a G sedan and it is plenty soft, and the exhaust is not even heard..... Go buy a car for old people like a cadillac sedan or stop asking us stupid questions about these cars.

P.S. Complaining about stupid things on the G and talking ishhh to a moderator FTL

You sir FAIL.
So I take it you are the person that decides if a car rides "plenty soft"? I'm glad I found you!

P.S. No one is complaining or asking stupid questions. I am asking a tech question. Obviously, you have asked how to alter your car, were you complaining/whining/asking stupid questions then?

Last edited by G35Halo; 09-01-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by ttrank
One, thanks, for the thought about it not changing the ride much. Can you expand on it?

Two, suggesting that I should look for another car is ridiculous. I dont tell you that you should look for another car because of the numerous mods you did. My car is paid for and I'm not planning on buying another egregiously depreciating asset (a car) unless I truly needed to. If I can tweak it, great. If not, life goes on.

I can understand a little ribbing on my want to tone the car down. But good natured ribbing is different than a constant barrage of redundant jokes that serve only to put someone down.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep your personal suggestions to yourself. I was asking about tweaking the car. Get over it, I'm not dropping a SC in. Everyone has their own preferences.

As for name calling... where??? And attitude? You really need to look in the mirror. There have been only a couple of people here who actually cared to give a sincere answer and I am having a mature convo with them. Others who wanted to flame, got checked, you included.

I'm not getting **** about your own personal opinion. Your suggestion to get another car added zero to this thread. Your threat of closing this thread is laughable because I am jabbing back at others who decide to make this amateur night at the Laugh Factory. Control the people causing trouble if you'd like to patrol the site.
Your opinion is irrelevant. If you cannot help, why be an ****?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
You could try and get the tokico d-specs shocks and set them on the softest setting.I have mine 3 clicks from firm and the car rides better and i havent tried anything softer yet.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:55 AM
What city in LA do you live in? I can't imagine it would be that bad.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:19 PM
My Solution

Don't believe everything you read on this board. It IS possible to lower your car, have a comfortable ride and still have a car that handles well and is fun to drive. You don't need to rattle your fillings or wear a kidney belt.

I've had 2 sedans, an 03 auto sport and for the past 2 years a 06 6MT. I never touched the autos suspension, but when I got the 6MT, I wasn't happy with the fender gap, so I read these boards and decided to go with revised z springs (got them real cheap) even though everyone recommended unrevised.

The drop was just what I wanted. 1" in front and about 3/4" in back. But I found the higher rate rear springs with stock sport springs was too bouncy. It made the wife carsick to the point she wouldn't ride in the car.

So next I located some unrevised rear z springs which helped the ride some, but also dropped the back another 1/4". Didn't change the fronts because they are the same for revised and unrevised. The result for me was bad rear tire wear without an alignment kit. I also wasn't crazy about the drop as the unrevised springs give you that droopy rear end. Plus the ride was still a little too bouncy for the wife. At this point I thought about upgrading to adjustable d-specs, but didn't want to spend that much money.

So I did more research and decided to try the Tein sedan H-techs. Got a great deal and a lot cheaper than new shocks. I was always happy with the front z-springs as far as drop and ride quality and the fact they are linear rate. The h-techs are progressive front and linear rear, so I just changed the rears. I did this a year ago and have been happy ever since. The ride quality is great for me. The rear height is about 1/8" higher than the revised z springs (about 5/8" drop from stock) but the fender gap looks very even with the front z-springs. It's about 1/8" more gap in rear with no one in the car. I'm happy with the ride, the wife is happy, and life is good. There is a little more understeer at the limits, but I don't race this car, and a little more rear sway bar would likely fix this if I wanted to. Compared to stock, it's great to actually feel the suspension working and keeping the tires on the road rather than boucing all over the place. Much more buttoned down and BMW like but still fun to toss around. Plus I now can get my rear alignment within stock specs.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Angry

Just purchased 08 G35 sedan and it seems to ride like a truck. Guess we didn't test it on the right roads. How can I get a softer ride short of trading the car or am I limited to what can be done due to the engineering of the factory. Need help as my wife can't tolerate the ride due to health problems

Last edited by stan schatz; 09-29-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: didn't expand enough
Old 09-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by stan schatz
Just purchased 08 G35 sedan and it seems to ride like a truck. Guess we didn't test it on the right roads. How can I get a softer ride short of trading the car or am I limited to what can be done due to the engineering of the factory. Need help as my wife can't tolerate the ride due to health problems
I'm assuming you got the Sports?

Old 10-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Looking For Softer Ride

nO I THOUGHT I PURCHASED THE STANDARD G35 SEDAN, IT HAS THE 17 INCH TIRES AND WHEELS. DOESN'T THAT SPECIFY NON SPORT MODEL?
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.
STAN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for softer ride