is 28 pistons over-kill?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sheplex02
hahahaha!!!! thats not exactly what i was worried about.. but that brings up my point of uselessness.. this car will be driven alot and will see track time and strip time.. i also will be doing long distance rallies..
I doubt you'd need more than a well designed 4 front 2 rear system. You'd need some serious power upgrades before you need additional braking power.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
a 6/4 setup is all you'll probably ever need. and some brake kits are better than others.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats just it.. i will be getting major power in about 8 months.. +500rwhp is my goal..

Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it just for the BLING BLING

Old 09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
G3 Motorsports brake pads on OEM rotors performed flawlessly at the track on the G3 G35 coupe track car. I think the driver, Jeff Harrison (NASCAR & Enduro), went through 50+ laps giving people rides in the car and tearing the $hit out of everything. Barely any brake fade...surprised every single member of the DFW G35 club that was there that day.

So yeah...just replacement PADS was sufficient in a heavy duty track session.

http://www.grubbsperformance.com/servlet/Detail?no=3072

Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 6MT
i like that anchor, it's awesome

anyway, be careful about which brake setup you choose. if you get a rotora setup, just remember that you will be stuck with THEIR pads until someone decides to make a compound in their shape. as far as i know, they do not have a standard FMSI number meaning their pads are proprietary.

moog, your buddy may be a pro, but he's just one driver, and if i understand it, on just that one car. i'm no pro, but there is no "end all" brake pad that will suit all applications. you really have to look into your application and find a pad compound suitable for YOU.

there are so many factors to consider, such as where you will drive the car the most often, are you willing to purchase more than one type of brake pad to switch from a street to a track setup (and back), what kind of power are you pushing, what is your vehicle weight, etc.

another misconception is that the more pistons that you have in your caliper, the greater your "braking force" is going to be. this is not the case. auto engineering is not one of my best subjects, but braking force is proportional to the piston area. in other words, unless the piston area of the 8 piston caliper is larger than the piston area of a 4 or 6 piston, then the 8 piston will perform no better. sometimes it could be a worse performer because of the increased flexing that could happen in a caliper because of it's size and/or cheaper material used.

a great reference is the june 2008 issue of grassroots motorsports magazine. let's not even get into brake boosters and master cylinder bore sizes....

Old 09-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by n1cK

another misconception is that the more pistons that you have in your caliper, the greater your "braking force" is going to be. this is not the case. auto engineering is not one of my best subjects, but braking force is proportional to the piston area. in other words, unless the piston area of the 8 piston caliper is larger than the piston area of a 4 or 6 piston, then the 8 piston will perform no better. sometimes it could be a worse performer because of the increased flexing that could happen in a caliper because of it's size and/or cheaper material used.

That is a very valid point. If a car's brake system can only pressurize the system to 1500psi, then a single piston caliper with 100sq in area will exert a force of 150,000lbs. Then on the same system, if you had an 8 piston caliper with 80sq in area, it will exert a force of 120,000lbs. So the single piston system can exert more friction and thus stop harder. But, given that a single piston that large can't apply that force EVENLY over the brake pad, you'll start developing hot spots due to the flex in the pad and this in turn could reduce frictional forces and thus hurt braking performance.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
wow very good info!! this is more what i was lookn for!!

well what i think im going to do is just go get a brake service for now and then when i get rim and tire package and suspension system im just gonna go get the OEM brake package (front and rear) from the G37S and get some EBC rotors and pads..

i think it look really good too cuz i have a DG coupe and im getting TENZO type Ms in gunmetal, so the silver calipers will stand out really nice..

Old 09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sheplex02
wow very good info!! this is more what i was lookn for!!

well what i think im going to do is just go get a brake service for now and then when i get rim and tire package and suspension system im just gonna go get the OEM brake package (front and rear) from the G37S and get some EBC rotors and pads..

i think it look really good too cuz i have a DG coupe and im getting TENZO type Ms in gunmetal, so the silver calipers will stand out really nice..
or you can even find the brembos off an 03-04 6mt coupe and be done with it.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:02 PM
my problem with the brembos is i dont like the gold, so id have to have them painted.. and id have to plus size the rotors and idk.. i like the updated system better..

Old 09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Looks like you want bling more than performance.

I'd ask for brake dist and brake bias data before considering ANY kit. Good luck on getting that info

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Looks like you want bling more than performance.

I'd ask for brake dist and brake bias data before considering ANY kit. Good luck on getting that info
sounds liek jeff might be right and there's nothing wrong with wanting the bling. Im sure the 28 piston set up would definitely turn heads but the reason i mentioned the brembos was that they are great for DD and track plus you can buy them and have them powdercoated any color you like for much less than the setup you were looking at.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
yeah.. im not going with the 28 piston setup anymore.. would look sick as hell but its not needed..

Old 09-10-2008, 02:44 PM
for $2,400 i can get the G37S setup.. for an additional $1,100 i can get the EBC rotors and pads and some braided lines..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is 28 pistons over-kill?