Master Cylinder Upgrade after BBK Install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Ok
Reason I ask is because I had a very similiar issue but not until after I installed extended studs in the rear.

What basically happened is that after I had installed the studs, there is a section of the stud (at the end of the threads) that comes out beyond the hub face. This was preventing the rotor hat from sitting flush with the hub. I fixed the issue by using a different set of studs which didnt have this section protruding out like the other set.

I think k67p67 is on the right track on what to look for for those having this issue.

The pic below shows the section of the stud that I'm talking about. Thought it might be worth mentioning.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
good catch man, its amazing how much of a difference something small like that can make.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem. It is knock back and I only get it after turning. It sucked on the track and autocrossing. But know I know what causes it I will tap the brakes after leaving a corner, since it won't slow me down. You just gotta learn to deal with it I guess, or find out if your hub is flexing beyond normal.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by G35papa
Ok
Reason I ask is because I had a very similiar issue but not until after I installed extended studs in the rear.

What basically happened is that after I had installed the studs, there is a section of the stud (at the end of the threads) that comes out beyond the hub face. This was preventing the rotor hat from sitting flush with the hub. I fixed the issue by using a different set of studs which didnt have this section protruding out like the other set.

I think k67p67 is on the right track on what to look for for those having this issue.

The pic below shows the section of the stud that I'm talking about. Thought it might be worth mentioning.

Hmm..I do have extended studs. I'm going to check this out and see what mine look like. If this is the case for anyone, I guess disregard my post above. If you don't have spacers, I guess it applies to you still.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by bigc
good catch man, its amazing how much of a difference something small like that can make.
Yes, the geometry if very precise. It was only a small amount but made all the difference. I was ready to take it to a pro shop to have it looked at after trying everything under the sun...removing everything multiple times. I can't take the credit though, it was my dad who saw it..."hey, thats not right..." He's a retired mechanic ...saved my *** yet again

Originally Posted by Canadian
Hmm..I do have extended studs. I'm going to check this out and see what mine look like. If this is the case for anyone, I guess disregard my post above. If you don't have spacers, I guess it applies to you still.
OEM rotor hats, the inside holes have a small funnel/coned taper to them. My Stoptech rotor hat holes, again, on the inside, have the same taper but it is very tiny compared to OEM.

Good luck and post your findings please.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
You can add me to the list with this problem. I guess it is just the character of a BBK

Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Does it prevent the brakes from functioning 100% or does it just change the feel of the brake pedal?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 AM
I never had this problem with my Stoptech. Still don't. Just the short time after I had those specific aftermarket studs in.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Wings Nation

Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Does it prevent the brakes from functioning 100% or does it just change the feel of the brake pedal?
it just changes brake pedal feel a bit. most of the time they feel really firm (sometimes scary firm), but after a quick turn the pedal travels a little further than usual.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not sure why an oem brembo upgrade would feature this problem. Wouldn't everyone with an oem brembo have this problem?

Old 03-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by bigc
I have a non-sport, '05 5AT coupe and recently installed a 6/4 BBK. I've noticed that in some braking conditions, I need to tap the pedal first to get a firm brake response. This happens maybe 2% of the time, but its usually after hard acceleration or going up a sudden, steep incline. The brakes feel solid in all other conditions.

Anyway, a shop that suggested I upgrade the master cylinder since my brake system now has to push more fluid. This makes intuitive sense to me since after the initial brake tap, the brakes feel great. Have any of you upgraded your master cylinder after installing a BBK?

From talking to other folks here, reading on stoptech's site, and searching g35driver, I've narrowed it down to either knockback, flex in the master cylinder (a brace can eliminate this), or an under-sized master cylinder which is what I'm asking about now. Any additional feedback is appreciated - thanks guys!
If it was knockback or hub flex, wouldn't you be experiencing this while going though hard turns? I dont' see how hard acceleration or going upa hill would cause this. But during these two specific situations, the engine is experience a great reduction in vaccuum. Maybe the 1 way valve in the vacuum tube is not working correctly? Or your vacuum booster is diff or faulty?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Grocery getter

Received 190 Likes on 60 Posts
Knock back is very common with many of the aftermarket G/Z BBK's. I have it with my 12-pot fronts. I have had both oem studs and now 50mm Nismo studs, same problem. Some companies include springs with their kits to keep pressure on the pads, some don't and others offer it as an option. I decided not to get them for mine to extend the pad/rotor life a little more.

You have to take care to get all the air out when bleeding the calipers. I used a small rubber mallet when doing mine. In fact I just flushed my brakes again with super blue and found more air after bleeding them twice last year.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Wings Nation

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
If it was knockback or hub flex, wouldn't you be experiencing this while going though hard turns? I dont' see how hard acceleration or going upa hill would cause this. But during these two specific situations, the engine is experience a great reduction in vaccuum. Maybe the 1 way valve in the vacuum tube is not working correctly? Or your vacuum booster is diff or faulty?
read the whole thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:30 AM
Red Card Crew

Yeah, good luck with it.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well poor vacuum would have the opposite effect and make for an extremely hard brake pedal. What I've seen on the Z forums is that its most certainly the knockback spring that will help.

I'll be ordering them shortly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Master Cylinder Upgrade after BBK Install?