Springs vs Coilovers Toe and Camber Kits oh MY!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Springs vs Coilovers Toe and Camber Kits oh MY!!

Hi guys,

I've had my G for a little over a month now and... well its time to start modding things. I have an 06 MT6 Sedan, with the "sport" suspension. Im quite happy with the ride quality however the car is a touch HIGH. There is no reason for me to change anything other than pure cosmetic looks. Im not looking to improve anything in the ride quality, however if a small drop and an improvement in ride could be accomplished that would also be a bonus.

I want to lower it, but not a huge amount. Unfortunately its a daily driver and I live in a... well lets just say a northern mountain climate. While I would love to slam it down, snow and hills (of which I have both and lots of both) don't agree well with the SLAMED approach to cars. That makes a big drop a no go regardless of how good the improvement in handling or looks. Although Im awaiting the "you will just drop it more later" posts (which I might when I move south)!

My major concern is understanding the suspension parts. I have witnessed lots of people whom just do "springs". Other people recommend coilovers. What's the difference between just replacing the springs and doing a whole coilover kit? Are the coilovers just fronts or fronts and rears?

Next is regarding camber angles. I've read that when the car is dropped it need to have a camber kit installed to stop the tires from wearing even worse on the inside. Some people suggest that with a minor drop it need not be done, other suggest you only do the rears as the front kits are so expensive. The cars come from the factory with some camber on them to help them handle, with a new suspension could that be flattened out with out really hurting handling or do you always require an amount of positive camber?

To do everything right which I believe would be coilovers and a front and rear camber kit is there any one company that makes both front and rear suspension as well as front and rear camber kits?

Can some one explain all this jazz to me?

Thanks from the great white NORTH!

S.Dunn

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
If you don't think you'll ever want to lower the car more than a TAD, then just get 350z Tein H-Tech springs. If you wanted to go lower, then get the S-Tech springs. If you wanted improved ride quality, get some Tokico D-Spec Shocks.

However, coilovers are an alternative route to lowering a car. They are adjustable, so you can control how low your car is. If you think you'd be interested in changing your ride height with the seasons, this is a great way to go, but just know that they are more expensive than springs, and going lower than 350z H-Techs requires camber kits.

Just to correct you, our cars come with NEGATIVE camber from the factory, NOT positive. A little negative camber is good for handling, but it's bad on the life of your tires.

I'm sure others can chime in, as I've just realized I'm pressed for time. 0_0

Old 11-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z H-techs are perfect for those who want a "tad" for their coupe, but I believe the OP has a sedan. I personally rocked those 350Z H-techs for a while til I got coilovers, bascially if you have a sedan, and you want a "tad" drop, most people go with the Coupe springs, and some go with 350Z springs, some even go with a combination of the two for the most "even" drop (ask the sedan experts )

Since you are only dropping a "tad", you can just replace the springs and your shocks will still last a while. But if you drop a lot you'll need aftermarket shocks or just get coilovers. Your ride will be a little bit rougher, but not by much. Once you get an alignment, your car should be within alignment spec because your drop isn't major. If you drop more you'll need rear camber, drop even more you'll need the fronts too.

Ok I'm done blabbing