G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Camber kits

Old 07-15-2015, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber kits

Hello all, two things I'd like some pointers on...

it has come to my attention that my stock suspension isn't quite adequate for my bigger wheels that I've purchased a while back. I've been told I need a camber kit to accommodate the larger wheels (27530R20 on the rear, slightly smaller on the front). Where can I source a cheaper, mid grade kit?

I've also lost a rear tire, and was told conflicting advice on whether I should replace them as a pair. The other side still has plenty of tread on it, and with a limited slip dif I was told I'd be fine replacing one. But another shop says change both.

Whatcha all think?

Cheers!

Old 07-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
You no longer have limited slip, so any advice on limited slip is no longer applicable. VLSD differentials wear out and become open differentials after about 60k miles.

Kinetix makes the best front camber arms for the money. Great amount of adjustment and only $250. Anything cheaper and you won't get enough adjustment. Rear, I would only do SPC, SPL or Eibach. You can find them in our classifieds pretty cheap normally.

The following users liked this post:
nascarbuff17 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ScraggleRock
You no longer have limited slip, so any advice on limited slip is no longer applicable. VLSD differentials wear out and become open differentials after about 60k miles. Kinetix makes the best front camber arms for the money. Great amount of adjustment and only $250. Anything cheaper and you won't get enough adjustment. Rear, I would only do SPC, SPL or Eibach. You can find them in our Marketplace pretty cheap.
Decent advice ^ but my first question is who said you needed a camber kit? If you have high mileage on your G it could be more about worn out suspension parts than the need for a camber kit! A independent brake/alignment shop in your area should do a inspection of your suspension before you drop those $$ on a camber kit...Gary

The following 2 users liked this post by gary c:
nascarbuff17 (07-16-2015), Tyke420 (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The tire shop I was at said that the stock suspension isn't adequate for oversized wheels, that they are not designed to work together and oversized wheels will damage it. I'm not sure this is true or not...personally I've never heard this. Its time my shocks are replaced, and I'm wondering if the wheels are actually the reason for wearing them out. I'm buying new ones and If I need to start buying beefier parts, now is a good a time to start as any. Thanks guys.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your 20" wheels weigh more than whatever you're currently running and yes, that will put stress on your suspension...fact! However, there's a lot of Driver members using 20" wheels/tires so it's not that stressful. Like I posted, have your suspension checked out by a independent brake/alignment shop, that's their job sun up to sun down! KYB shocks will take care of your shock needs and you can have that alignment shop install 'em. Our Marketplace under vendor suspension is the best place to buy KYBs!
Gary

Old 07-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
If your car is NOT lowered, and it is aligned to factory spec, the ONLY difference larger wheels and tires will make is ride height.

The ONLY reason that you would need a camber kit for larger wheels is if the offset is wrong (+ too much) and you need to add a load of negative camber to fit under the wheel wells.

Unless you are running some big ugly DUBS, the weight difference is negligible