Whine when cold on 04 6MT Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maxuz
ok, so i'm poking around the Sewell site and i'm not seeing anything called the "cold air inlet damper" or anything called a damper other than the hydraulic damper for the clutch. I also couldn't find anything in the HVAC dropdown. starting to feel a "pics or it didn't happen" moment coming.

EDIT: downloading the service manual now, will spend some time poking around on that later. if it's a PDF i'll get it on my iPod so i can keep looking while im out of town this weekend.
Keep us posted. IIRC my dealer didn't find one either.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Rated M

i'd be very interested in seeing theis flap thread as well.

wheel bearings only makes sense to me if the issue is that the grease in them is getting warm enough to lube the bad bearing after awhile. mostly i just wanted it to be that because it's a much easier fix than a new transmission.

bflemi: please let us know whether the new transmission addresses the noise.

rbull: have you talked about the option of a transmission with your dealer? if so, what has their response been?

car came with an injen intake, but no other mods that i'm aware of. I don't believe it's related though. A) i can hear the intake and its definitely not the same noise, and B) the noise is present when i'm not on the throttle at all. unless the intake has just shifted things in the engine bay and caused the howl, i don't think the intake itself is making the noise.
Thanks, that seems to rule out any of the intake changes I made.

No I haven't discussed replacement of the transmission since there is no clear indication that is the problem. The earlier post relating to that doesn't seem to me to be the same issue we're describing. My car makes the same noise whether car is in gear, neutral, clutch engaged/not, running or not. I know my dealer will not replace something like that as a "possible" fix.

I'm hearing more of a roar or a howl somewhat like wind. It's not anything like a whistle some have described.

It's something however I am going to pay more attention to once I pull it out from storage in April.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm not ready to call BS yet, but looking at the AC portion of the manual, i'm not seeing any door that's actuated on the outside of the car. it may be not a part of the AC system, but i dunno...

it just makes so much sense that its this sort of thing... i just cant actually find it

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
It's really odd that this happens to me when its cold out but my G runs great and with no howling or whistling noise for the rest of the year.

Nevertheless...just for more info, I'm the type of person that usually heat up my G while i'm getting ready for work or during a morning cup of coffee, so that could be at least a good 15 minutes. Doing that, I don't get that howling/whistling noise.

On the days where i don't have time to warm up the car, I definitely get that noise. Sometimes, even 5 minutes of warm up doesn't cut it and i still get that noise.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
that's all good info. I've noticed too that preheating the car makes it happen less. The thing that really sold me on the heater thing is that it usually seems to stop about when my auto heater starts ramping the fan up.

Looked under the hood a little at the gas station today but the engine bay is too crowded to pick much out.

I'll keep looking through the service manual but it's a big tome when I don't really know what i'm looking for. I *do* know that it looks like the heating unit appears to be a closed system outside of the cabin. There are a couple mechanized doors on the blower but that's inside the car.

I can't believe so many people havethis problem and there isn't a documented cause or fix yet. Has anyone without an aftermarket intake heard the howl? If not, that might narrow the location of this mysterious air intake door.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Rated M

^that's interesting. I haven't tried warming up the car to full temperature before setting out on a cold day so maybe that's another way to narrow this down. If that is making an improvement with your car that would seem to lessen the transmission as the culprit which wouldn't warm up much by engine idling.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Has anyone without an aftermarket intake heard the howl? If not, that might narrow the location of this mysterious air intake door.
Yes...me

Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
^ well damn.

Originally Posted by RBull
^that's interesting. I haven't tried warming up the car to full temperature before setting out on a cold day so maybe that's another way to narrow this down. If that is making an improvement with your car that would seem to lessen the transmission as the culprit which wouldn't warm up much by engine idling.
I warmed it up for around 10 minutes this morning, and i still had it, but my car sits outside and it was about 20F out this morning, so it may just be that 10 min isn't enough to get it to running temp.

i also played with the shifter a bit while driving, and got a bit nervous at one point cause it sounded like it got louder when i was pressing against a syncro. however, i couldn't repro it, and it's almost impossible to get a reliable repro anyway, since it's speed-based and you can't maintain speed while jumping in and out of neutral.

the fact that it's speed-based alone and not RPM at all, and it stops above a certain speed, though, would make syncros unlikely in my mind anyway. to them, moving at 30 at 3000rpm or at 60 at 3000rpm would be the same, right? is there anything the tranny would see that would be affected by speed and not RPM?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Has anyone tried contacting a transmission shop and just ask them what they think it is. When i was first having problems with my tranny and the dealership was bull****ting me I took it to a tranny shop for diagnostics...they charged me $25 and confirmed that my 2nd and 3rd synchros were shot. Might be worth it...

I wouldn't just go to any tran shop though. Call a reputable shop in the area and ask them where to go.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 AM
but you could feel that, right? i would think if they were shot i'd be missing shifts or having resistance or grinding. i'm having none of that.

i think it'd be worth the 25 bucks to rule out easily if i knew of a good tranny shop in town, and i'd do it in a heartbeat, but there really isnt much good car help in the area, so i usually self-diagnose.

i'm getting the feeling there's like 3 different semi-common things that happen on this car that all make a similar noise. i cant figure how my issue could be syncros. i've heard it at 2krpm in 5th, and 4k in 3rd. just seems unlikely to me given that.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Rated M

^ well damn.

I warmed it up for around 10 minutes this morning, and i still had it, but my car sits outside and it was about 20F out this morning, so it may just be that 10 min isn't enough to get it to running temp.

i also played with the shifter a bit while driving, and got a bit nervous at one point cause it sounded like it got louder when i was pressing against a syncro. however, i couldn't repro it, and it's almost impossible to get a reliable repro anyway, since it's speed-based and you can't maintain speed while jumping in and out of neutral.

the fact that it's speed-based alone and not RPM at all, and it stops above a certain speed, though, would make syncros unlikely in my mind anyway. to them, moving at 30 at 3000rpm or at 60 at 3000rpm would be the same, right? is there anything the tranny would see that would be affected by speed and not RPM?
You're probably right that 10 minutes at that ambient temperature isn't enough to get it warmed up. if we get the weather forecast next week I may get my car out of storage for a quick mid winter toot and I can experiment with warm up.

As far as the trans I don't specifically know the answer to your question. However, the noise is not impacted whatsoever by gear selection and makes me think nothing is speed related. I had that discussion on my last run with my dealer fixed op mgr.

I can't tell exactly if my sounds completely goes away at a certain speed or if it is because I'm always in a lower speed area until the car warms up enough to eliminate the noise.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Rated M

Originally Posted by bflemi3
Has anyone tried contacting a transmission shop and just ask them what they think it is. When i was first having problems with my tranny and the dealership was bull****ting me I took it to a tranny shop for diagnostics...they charged me $25 and confirmed that my 2nd and 3rd synchros were shot. Might be worth it...

I wouldn't just go to any tran shop though. Call a reputable shop in the area and ask them where to go.
Why are you suggesting a transmission shop? I am not experiencing any of the transmission problems apparent in your car. Your issue does not sound to me like what we are describing.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by RBull
Why are you suggesting a transmission shop? I am not experiencing any of the transmission problems apparent in your car. Your issue does not sound to me like what we are describing.
This
it sounds exactly like wind rushing, so that's a marvelous theory.
is what I'm experiencing. And based on the thread given and previous readings, and that fact that my transmission is bad, i'm giving my opinion. Isn't that point of this thread?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
flemi: are you experiencing this as a completely speed-based thing? get moving in 2nd or 3rd at a speed in which you hear it, and jump though the gears while staying in the target speed. is there a gear where you don't here it? can you get the sound outside of the speed band at a different RPM?

its a double-edged sword, really. on one hand, every bit of info helps. on the other, i think there are multiple, unrelated things making similar sounds on this car, and lumping them together i think is what has kept people from figuring it out for this long.

let us know if your problem is fixed with the new tranny, and any other feedback you can give. but i am starting to think your problem is not the same as ours, it just has very similar symptoms.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:22 AM
flemi: are you experiencing this as a completely speed-based thing? get moving in 2nd or 3rd at a speed in which you hear it, and jump though the gears while staying in the target speed. is there a gear where you don't here it? can you get the sound outside of the speed band at a different RPM?

its a double-edged sword, really. on one hand, every bit of info helps. on the other, i think there are multiple, unrelated things making similar sounds on this car, and lumping them together i think is what has kept people from figuring it out for this long.

let us know if your problem is fixed with the new tranny, and any other feedback you can give. but i am starting to think your problem is not the same as ours, it just has very similar symptoms.
When the car is cold (and the weather too) it doesn't matter what gear or whether the clutch is in, i still get the whistle/whine. But, by the time i get on the highway my car is warm so i don't hear the noise anymore. Symptoms are very similar. I will let you know once I get a new tranny if this solves the problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whine when cold on 04 6MT Coupe