rear coilover install help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear coilover install help

i've read through more than a few threads, and i am in desperate need of input, as i have never done this before.

the coilvers are 'newer style' bc racing coilvers.

so from what i'm reading, basically, i adjust the height of the rear spring first, lock it into place, then, have the rear shock sit maybe 1/4 an inch lower than the lowermost part of the spring, and then raise up the jack thats supporting the hub and bolt up the bottom of the rear shock?

i'm using the link below as a guide
http://www.bcracing-na.com/G37install.htm

and the part where it says
"Once spring assembly is completed, you’ll need to measure shock distance. You will want a bit of load from the jack on the spring arm. This will raise the hub just a bit. Make sure the springs aren’t loose. Reach in and assure there is no play. Next step is to assure the shocks lower bracket is roughly 1/8-1/4 inch shorter." is confusing to me...

any help would be greatly appreciated!

also, how the hell did you guys install the rear extenders?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
By whatever amount your lowering the rear of the car vs oem, make the Bc rear dampers that much shorter then the oem rear shocks.

You could measure the differance in travel between the Bc and oem rears and average that in, get kinda complicated though.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:07 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not sure what they're referring to honestly. When I lowered my rear with the HKS Hipermax III sports, I did it through the spring assembly and never touched anything on the shocks (rears aren't true coils).

The lower quote is making me think I did something wrong when I dropped the rears unless this is a BC coilover thing only:

Adjustments in rear height would be done via the spring assembly. Any adjustments in height will need to change the shock height also. Please refer back to shock position.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for responding guys. i suppose i should have posted on my350z cause it seems as though the tech areas on that forum seem to get more page views.

i think i figured it out and did it correctly... i basically just put the spring on first, unsupported by the jack and then installed the strut.

skaterbasist, i think what is most important is that while the rear is in the air (on jackstands or jack or w/e) the spring doesnt move at all. basically allow the entire hub to come down naturally, put your hand on some of the coils, and try to wiggle it. if it wiggles, thats bad and you need to make the springs longer, if you gots no wiggle, you are good.
i believe this is done so that, say, if one of your rear tires was in the air for whatever reason, the spring wont come off or get all caught up in the wrong way.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:28 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I'm not sure what they're referring to honestly. When I lowered my rear with the HKS Hipermax III sports, I did it through the spring assembly and never touched anything on the shocks (rears aren't true coils).
I called HKS pertaining to this, and they said you need to lower your shocks the same amount as the spring assembly otherwise an incorrect piston stroke will occur.