Life expectancy of stock shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I have 130K on my '06. Still handles great, no sign of any suspension issues, but as I rip through deal's gap I wonder what condition the suspension is really in. Are the shocks still as good as they were when new? The bushings? Tie rod ends? Doesn't seem to be any play or looseness, but this car has had a rough life - particularly the rear which is usually overloaded.

If I knew what was good I would just buy replacements, but I am leary of something not working as well as what I have now.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The mechanic said everything was in great condition (except for the exhaust flange) and was really tight so I should be good for as long as I'll own the car for. Too bad the brakes wear out so fast.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to install Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro Kit on my '05 Coupe: anything unusual I should know or might run into or need?

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 72k miles on my oem sport suspension, not lowered.
The ride is now **** on the freeway and I can feel every damn service on the road.
The rears are especially bad as I can hear a shock sound when I go over a big bump.
The car still handles and brakes fine but the ride quality has turned to **** compare to when I first bought the car at 34k miles....

The Rears seem to die faster than the front... And I'm surprised that oe shocks only last such a short life time!

I will be getting tokico hp in a few months and remain the stock sport suspension spring ride height. Hopefully they will give the original ride quality back.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Also look into Tokico DSP-7's (adjustable) if you don't want to go the full coil-over route. Adjustability without too much more expense than Tokico Blues. You can make the ride and handling any way you want it.