Outer tire wear? Pos. Camber or...??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Outer tire wear? Pos. Camber or...??

So it's about that time when I need to get some tires for my car... I have a few questions about its wear pattern though.. It might just be me being a little paranoid but it kind of goes against my understanding. The tires have been worn on the outside a little more than on the inside. Although I do drive on windy roads to and from my house, isn't the negative camber from the factory supposed to counter that? If anything, shouldn't the tires be wearing on the inside because of the negative camber? I don't think it's a toe issue since the wear isn't significant enough for that.. It's been on original tires from the dealer when I bought it and it has 16k miles on it. From my understanding, that's just about average for OEM, given the windy roads I drive through. I've never lowered the car or done any suspension or wheel work to it... It's 100% stock. Here are some pictures of the tire... I'm no tire expert but I'm not "dumb" about it either, but can someone who knows about tires really well explain my situation? Thanks!

This is the penny test for the inner part of the tire:

This is the penny test for the outer part of the tire:

Here is what the entire tire looks like. The difference isn't incredibly significant, but the fact that it exists raises questions...

Old 04-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I put in an order for new tires today but my question still remains... Can ANYONE help?

I'll be talking to the tire guys on Tuesday when my tires come in... but any feedback now would be great.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
without an alignment sheet, we have no idea what the problem is

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
that's pretty normal wear for the stock bridgestones.
-GP-

Old 04-06-2009, 07:05 AM
Location: Intergalactic proton powered electrical tentacled advertising droids!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're really hitting the twisties hard on a regular basis, you'll wear out the outer tread faster than the inner tread, + if your alignment is off and you have too much positive camber that would make your situation worse... I agree with gdup, it looks about normal...

Old 04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whens the last time an alignment was done?

I figure with the tire issues these cars have anyway keeping up with an alignment yearly is pretty important.

You should get a alignment done (especially with new tires) and post up the results id be intrigued to see them