Rare JDM Rear Stabilizer Bar for SEDANS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Even if it did nothing (which I'm sure is not the case) it looks freakin' cool back there.
as multiple people have said, i doubt there's much flexing in the rear of the g, but it does look mighty spiffy!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I like the idea and I reserve comment until I test one BUT I agree with Dave here. The mounting points using 8-10mm screws is done for install convenience vs making the mounting points as sturdy as they could be. Perhaps if they created a mount that resisted motion of the bracket in all axis (up/down/in/out), the screws wouldn't be so critical.

But Dave, I had Matt's bar in the back of my 3-gen. But it was mounted on top of the strut towers like the front FSTB: I could feel a small difference.

the bar is as solid as it could possibly be - I yanked, pulled, pushed it isn’t going anywhere... several people have tested this bar for quite a while... its been tracked several times, auto crossed, and many miles of daily driving - no one has reported it moving at all.

If you want info you should link to the original thread that I linked in previous post... that’s where you should be directing your questions and concerns (if you actually want answers).

Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
No mike. I've stated my question and got it. Like I've said, I reserved my concerns to keep the thread clean (as evidenced with any criticisms of this product resulted in here).

I think it's neat. The only change I'd do is possible have it welded. If I got picky, maybe to a 3 point connection. The extra bottom mounting holes already there.

I'm not sure how much force one could put in this vs a 3500lb car at 80 mph though a turn but I get your general point.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 PM
at the time of my previous post I didn’t realize Zack was in here addressing concerns (I hadn’t read that far when I responded).

Rare JDM and Stage4 are very knowledgeable people. They are extremely performance oriented and understand end user needs. Frankly, I value Dave and Zacks opinions and abilities more than most people that offer their ideas on this forum.

I haven’t really put this bar through its paces yet, so I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone’s @ss with "non-tested" statements, but like I said in first post, what I can tell so far I think this bar is an added benefit and a step in the right direction..

A few people commented several times about the body flex (or in some ppls opinion lack of it) - the first gen sedans have a ton of body flex and if you haven’t experienced it, you don’t know your car like you think you do... this bar isn’t the "cure" for that and I never claimed it to be - in fact a 4 point mid brace is something I've been after for nearly 3 years now (I am going to have one custom fabbed when other projects are complete).

Anyway - I'll let Zack and Dave field the questions and concerns, as they are the experts with this bar and Zack has been on the track with it a bunch.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
A few people commented several times about the body flex (or in some ppls opinion lack of it) - the first gen sedans have a ton of body flex and if you haven’t experienced it, you don’t know your car like you think you do...
I'm one of the ones that really don't feel any "flexing". Honestly, how would you really know it was occuring unless we're talking about some old flimsy chassis cars? I can jack my G up way on on one end, which is absolute hell on the chassis, and the doors open and close just as if the car were at static height. My old Maxima (pre-subframe connectors, Z28, CRX, wife's 98 Legacy GT) all exhibit less rigidity, easily seen when opening and closing the doors. They simply don't open and close very well in a chassis bending scenario like that. I could barely close the doors on the Z28 and that was a non-t-top car too! When introduced in 2002, 1st gen G/Z was noted as having one of the most rigid chassis' on the market. It's also why the 1st gen G was noted as one of the safest cars on the road according to NHTSA. Most people don't know there actually steel tubing that runs though the upper rails attaching to anchor points to the front and rear of the doors. It's basicially a cage. The 2nd gen G's have revised front subframes and additional chassis welds throughout the car which increased rigidity by another 36%.

I wish people could be a bit more descriptive with this "flexing". What are the characteristics of it? Hopefully some other guys that throw their cars into some turns and have proper tires can shed some light on this.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'm one of the ones that really don't feel any "flexing". Honestly, how would you really know it was occuring unless we're talking about some old flimsy chassis cars? I can jack my G up way on on one end, which is absolute hell on the chassis, and the doors open and close just as if the car were at static height. My old Maxima (pre-subframe connectors, Z28, CRX, wife's 98 Legacy GT) all exhibit less rigidity, easily seen when opening and closing the doors. They simply don't open and close very well in a chassis bending scenario like that. I could barely close the doors on the Z28 and that was a non-t-top car too! When introduced in 2002, 1st gen G/Z was noted as having one of the most rigid chassis' on the market. It's also why the 1st gen G was noted as one of the safest cars on the road according to NHTSA. Most people don't know there actually steel tubing that runs though the upper rails attaching to anchor points to the front and rear of the doors. It's basicially a cage. The 2nd gen G's have revised front subframes and additional chassis welds throughout the car which increased rigidity by another 36%.

I wish people could be a bit more descriptive with this "flexing". What are the characteristics of it? Hopefully some other guys that throw their cars into some turns and have proper tires can shed some light on this.
I will agree that the first gen G shows little flex. And not something any decent enthusiast would have a problem with. Seems some do not realize that some flex is a good thing too. Then again proper engineering is too but that is something for another thread. This one fell short on that.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClearBra_Guy
I will agree that the first gen G shows little flex. And not something any decent enthusiast would have a problem with. Seems some do not realize that some flex is a good thing too. Then again proper engineering is too but that is something for another thread. This one fell short on that.
https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...my-window.html

Old 04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread belongs in the suspension section, along with the rest of the tech threads and as such has been moved there.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Thumbs up Performance Evaluation

Update:

Although I haven’t been on the track (yet) with this bar… I have done some very hard cornering during brief spirited streets runs (don’t worry caution hounds, I’m more than responsible with my approach).

I can honestly report that this bar has in fact planted my rear end! I’m not sure how much it would take to get squirrelly, but I know it’s more than I’m willing to push on the street - I’ll find out at the track.

I am by no means a suspension expert and absolutely not an expert racer – but I will state clearly that I know this (my) car very well and when things are different I realize it. The best way I can explain this bar’s characteristics (as it pertains to my car) is with the history cornering ability:

OEM – with open differential and skinny sh!tty tires, even a minor amount of acceleration on cornering would cause VDC to kick in (sometimes even when it was turned off) – I’m referring to simple things like hustling out of a parking lot onto street before traffic from intersection catches up – we’ve all been there.

To curtail that faux pas’ - I went with Quaife ATB differential (additional reasoning was for launch at drag strip – different topic altogether). The Quaife helped a bunch with spirited cornering – VDC rarely (if ever) came on, no matter how hard I pushed – I will state though that shortly after Quaife, I replaced OEM 17” Bridgestone tires with Kumho Ecsta ASX (a little wider than OEM)… followed by 19” Toyo T1R 245mm wide.

Prior to bar I was running Quaife with 245/40/19 Toyo T1R and it was almost always hard to lose traction on broad (street) cornering under moderately aggressive acceleration – but on the track in tight corners with heavy exit acceleration it occasionally got a bit squirrelly.

With same wheels and tires – Today I pushed hard on broad and tight corners (In my travel of 80+ miles) – the rear stayed very well planted! Inside tire never gave - and I know I could have pushed harder through every corner (but the engine revs would draw way too much “unwanted” attention).

I can say without a doubt my car will stay much more planted coming out of the 2nd 90-degree turn (turn 3?) at Auto Club Speedway Roval – this is the turn that I previously mentioned getting squirrelly under exit acceleration.

For those that doubt the amount of body flex that exists – I’m not here to debate you. I’m only here to give my interpretation.

For those that want to dissect my evaluation – I don’t profess to be an expert race car driver… in fact, I met with Mr. John Coffey today (he’s a way more advanced racer than I will ever be and even he will not claim to be an expert) – but I will say that if you want to debate or refute what I am reporting, at least have enough clout and dignity to do so after equal amount of your own car’s evaluation (at minimum).

I definitely endorse this bar! – and for the knuckleheads that think I gain something from saying that (you know who you are), I absolutely do not… it truly is a very good rear stabilizer bar.

The following users liked this post:
Apparition (01-01-2019)
Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
^^^Word