GT Spec Front tower strut bar//Install help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrewTheSuit
10 minutes my @ss....hoses on the left side that needed to be moved first, pain in the **** a/c line clip that i struggled with on the right side, but was finally able to get the bracket on without having to disassemble my intake...of course, 5 of the 6 strut bolts came right off, but almost stripped the last one(that was after coating it in antiseize as well), sliced my hand open in that process too...finally after both brackets are on and i'm trying to install the bar i drop one of the nuts into my abyss of an engine bay, never hit the ground and i've tried backing out and pulling up 3 times to get it to fall, no luck...so both brackets are in but i will be making a trip to the local hardware store for a new nut that i'll probably have to take home and polish before installing the bar...that's just my luck, it could be raining pu$$y and i'm gonna get hit with a d!ck
how did you get the A/c line clip removed?

Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
finally got the bracket to slide under the clip...take brute force but i got it in

Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 PM
10 minutes my @ss....hoses on the left side that needed to be moved first, pain in the **** a/c line clip that i struggled with on the right side, but was finally able to get the bracket on without having to disassemble my intake...of course, 5 of the 6 strut bolts came right off, but almost stripped the last one(that was after coating it in antiseize as well), sliced my hand open in that process too...finally after both brackets are on and i'm trying to install the bar i drop one of the nuts into my abyss of an engine bay, never hit the ground and i've tried backing out and pulling up 3 times to get it to fall, no luck...so both brackets are in but i will be making a trip to the local hardware store for a new nut that i'll probably have to take home and polish before installing the bar...that's just my luck, it could be raining pu$$y and i'm gonna get hit with a d!ck
finally got the bracket to slide under the clip...take brute force but i got it in
I'm feeling ya. I read this thread about an hour and a half ago. Then immediately after, I went out in the 15 degree cold to install my strut bar. Let's just say I have you beat.

-Struggled on the left side getting the bracket in...check.
-Scratch firewall in the process...check.
-Bleeding all over the place...check.
-Struggled on the right side getting the bracket in...check.
-Dropped 1 of the nuts into abyss never to be seen again...check.
-Can't feel fingers or toes...check.
-No hex wrench to fully tighten bar...check.

I probably left out a lot of other annoyances. The wind was blowing all my **** away, my scarf was getting in the way, my fingers were numb and I couldn't feel a damn thing with them.

Anyhow, the bar is in...mostly. Just need to replace one of the strut tower bolts and fully tighten the bar into the brackets. I think it's safe to drive in the meantime?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
^ that looks like an NRG strut tower bar

Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by bigc
^ that looks like an NRG strut tower bar
https://g35driver.com/forums/suspens...t-bar-g35.html

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 AM
Wings Nation

Copies of the NRG (v2+) / Richie bar - neither are the GT Spec strut tower bar.

Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
...These are VERY similar to NRG/Richies design...

Last edited by bigc; 02-07-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 AM
The installation is the same. I wanted one with a clean, OEM-ish look that wouldn't have any clearance issues, and this was about the only one out there. Last thing I wanted was a shiny chrome bar that would look out of place with the OEM cover.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bump this up. I tried to install it today. Followed zach's advice. The only problem now is that one of the bolts on the passenger side bracket wont tighten. So frustrating. I had to stop the install since i was getting bitten up by mosquitoes!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Wings Nation

does the bolt keep spinning or will it not thread on?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
It just keeps spinning. Almost like it doesnt reach the thread. Its probably because I had to angle to the bracket a bit to get the bolt through the strut bar. Its either or right now. I can either bolt down the bracket but not connect the strut bar, or connect the strut bar but not be able to tighten the last bolt.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Wings Nation

if you bolt the brackets down fully, how far out of alignment are the mounting holes in the bracket with the hole through the bar? if they are not far off, i'd try bolting the bracket down first without trying to leave enough play to align the strut bar (ie, tighten all 3 bracket mounting bolts). as long as the bar and brackets aren't too far out of alignment you can usually just pull the bar over enough to slide the bolt through.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Its not alot. Probably like 1/4" of the strut bar hole is covered by the bracket. I bolted down the brackets first then tried to screw in the bar. I didnt think the metal would budge once i bolted it down. But I'll give it a try. Thanks bigc.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Wings Nation

yeah, give it a try. i used to just partially bolt down the brackets then connect the bar, but after removing & installing my bar a few times i realized that brute force was usually enough to get the holes to align.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Okay, so I tried to bolt down the brackets, THEN install the bar. That still didnt work. It was too far apart to get the bolt through. So I tried to loosen the bracket on the passenger side in hopes of angling it a bit to compensate. Then I realized that i stripped on of the bolts so I couldnt get it out anymore. I figure I'd try to loosen the driver side bracket and fit the bolt in. Voila! The bar fit and I was able to tighten the bracket down. I know its a simple install, but you've gotta be careful. I almost dropped the bolts/nuts more than a few times but lucky I didnt lose any. Now the car feels much more firm on corners and road vibrations are down a bit. Worth every dollar spent.

My only problems as of now are:

1. I think the bar is too high and might possibly be rubbing against my Seibon CF TS hood. Not sure, but I might as well take off the engine cover and lower for safe measure.

2. If I ever want to remove the bar, I'll prob have to take it to a shop since the nut is stripped. But I dont think I'll do that unless I'm selling it or something.

All in all, very satisfying to work on my own car. It makes all the money I spend on tools worth it.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I get a lot of satisfaction in DIY. Sometimes bloody knuckles and a little swearing as well but it's all in a days work. I'm actually headed out in a little bit to replace a lower control arm. FU dealership, I don't need ya!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT Spec Front tower strut bar//Install help?