Need some opionions on my BBK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
honestly, it's anodized and looks fine. just throw them on adn get some mathing lug nuts. but those brakes will look nice

Old 05-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone do a photochop so I can get an idea of how they will look on a red car?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
^ If you powdercoat them, you'll need to remove the pistons, both sets of seals, and then have them rebuilt by someone qualified to do so. Depending on the crossover tube material, you may also need to remove the tubes which means there's no way to guarantee they'll still hold pressure the way they did at the factory. This shouldn't be a problem, but it may void your warranty. Also, powdercoating requires the calipers to be baked at high temperatures which may cause the materials to expand & contract more than they were designed to.

Point is, paint looks just as good and involves considerably less risk.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by bigc
^ If you powdercoat them, you'll need to remove the pistons, both sets of seals, and then have them rebuilt by someone qualified to do so. Depending on the crossover tube material, you may also need to remove the tubes which means there's no way to guarantee they'll still hold pressure the way they did at the factory. This shouldn't be a problem, but it may void your warranty. Also, powdercoating requires the calipers to be baked at high temperatures which may cause the materials to expand & contract more than they were designed to.

Point is, paint looks just as good and involves considerably less risk.
They make special paint for calipers don't they? Where can I find it?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
How hot do you have to heat them for powder coat? BBKS are desinged for the track where temps get pretty damned high don't they?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Wings Nation

^ couple hundred degrees and not all BBKs are created equal
Originally Posted by Vrod-Mike
They make special paint for calipers don't they? Where can I find it?
Yeah, you can buy caliper paint at most auto stores - autozone, pep boys, kragen. You may be able to find custom colors online.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Well the typical boiling point of most brake fluid is at least 300+ degrees? So if the caliper that's supposed to be quality and see track time can't handle that...............

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
i think that color is nice...

but if you must paint them have a bodyshop do it... don't paint them yourself. you wouldnt wanna mess up those sweet calipers

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
a little ot, but may i ask how you got sponsored?, i have been trying to get sponsored but there is so much competition in bc

do you have any pointers?

thanks

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Wings Nation

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well the typical boiling point of most brake fluid is at least 300+ degrees? So if the caliper that's supposed to be quality and see track time can't handle that...............
therein lies the problem. you never know what you have until there is a problem so why take a chance.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I can't see heat being a problem. I bet under hard braking these calipers will get much hotter then they will from baking during PC. Plus to PC them you have to completely disassemble them so all that's left is the aluminum body, so I can't see heat causing any problems there either.

I'm going to try and see if I can get one rotor and caliper installed tomorrow jsut to take a picture of it on the car. Then I'll take it back off and put the stocks back on. Hopefully I can find the time to do that since it will be the only way to really tell what they will look like on my car.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Wings Nation

Just use a good shop whichever route you decide to go. Bear in mind, however, most of the brake heat is stored by the rotor, and the rotor's vanes are designed to cool the caliper.

This guy powdercoats calipers and has been recommended by a few folks on this forum: http:www.thepowdercoater.com

Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 PM
I only found one picture of my car, I guess I haven't taken too many pics of the G, I will get some more pics when I get the car painted.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by bigc
Just use a good shop whichever route you decide to go. Bear in mind, however, most of the brake heat is stored by the rotor, and the rotor's vanes are designed to cool the caliper.

This guy powdercoats calipers and has been recommended by a few folks on this forum: http:www.thepowdercoater.com
I agree but the rotor get way hotter also. The heat gets transfered to the brake lines somehow. (ie.. though the caliper body and piston)

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Ok so I had some time today and I was able to get one of the rears test fitted for the purpose of seeing how it looks on the car. I will say that the bracket Alliance supplies makes everything bolt right up nice and easy. Getting the stock parts off was a real bitch though. I think Hercules installed the caliper bolts and the rotor was welded on. Only after soaking it with WD40 and beating the **** out of it with a hammer was I able to get it off. Then I ran into the problem with the factory dust cover being to small so I had to temporarily trim that until I do the final install and remove it completely. Thank god I had an air nibbler since that made quick work of trimming the dust cover.

Now what I need from you guys is an honest opinion of how this looks on my car. I will say that I'm very surprised. In my hand the parts look really pink and I wasn't happy at all, but on the car they look totally different. They still don't look red to me, but they look much better then when I had them in my garage. I know the car is still on the jack, but I didn't have the stock caliper disconnected since I was reinstalling it and I didn't want to lower the car and take a chance of the suspension compressing on it so these will have to do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need some opionions on my BBK