HELP with PROBLEM! Brakes Failed! 'Brake' and 'ABS' lights on!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP with PROBLEM! Brakes Failed! 'Brake' and 'ABS' lights on!

Hey guys-

So aside from my G, my family has an 02 Toyota Sienna that has 125k miles on it. It has been running fine since we bought it brand new. Just recently, the 'Brake' and 'ABS' lights came on and I didn't know why. I checked the brake fluid level, and it was low. I topped it off with DOT 3 fluid and got back in the car. Lights were still on.

I test drove the car and the brakes felt slightly mushy but the car still stopped and everything, but the lights were still on. I disconnected the battery (thinking that might help) and they were still on. I told my mom to get the pads replaced (as I had heard some squeaking/squealing) and possibly bleed the brakes.

Today, my mom took it to a local mechanic and he "fixed" it by replacing the front brakes. He said some of the brake fluid overflowed. He charged my mom $170 for the front brakes (not to bleed them, just to change the pads!) . My mom picked up the car and my sister (who normally drives the minivan) called my mom saying that she had a bumper-to-bumper mini-accident when she pressed on the brakes and the car would not stop. It was then she noticed that the Brake and ABS lights had come back on.

What could be wrong? I don't want do pay this mechanic any more money and I don't feel safe having my mom or sister drive the car. I can't do much at the moment (I'm spending the week in Orange County). Luckily we have a 3rd car that they can share but we really want to fix the Sienna.

What could the problem be?
Any good local shops that will really take care of me?
Any thing I can do? (I've changed pads/rotors before on my G)
Any advice guys? Thanks a lot.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Bump. Car is still at the shop. Please help guys.

Maybe the sensors are broken?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Brakes

First and foremost stop driving the car.

With the car off, pump the brakes, they should become fairly stiff.
Apply pressure(slowly press) to the brake pedal, they should stay stiff for a long time. If they do not, you have a leak in the braking system.

I can PM you a step by step for bleeding the brakes if you want to try it yourself, its very easy. You can buy a little brake bleeder kit from an auto parts store($5-$10). Brakes, brakes, brakes, not something you want to cheap out on.
I would go to the dealership and get OEM pads to match OEM rotors. Good Luck.