Tokico HP Blues Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Htechs have nothing to do with the "high frequency vibration", thats all in the shocks.

I really like the difference with the HP/H-techs over the 350Z revised suspension. A little lower but mostly just a much better feel. Flatter in the corners and much better feel.

Tokico HP shocks are very good for the price IMO.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 AM
JZ
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 Coupe KY0
enough yappin' lets see some pics

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudefish
Nope.

Yep.

I think in retrospect I would have gone with the d-specs or Bilstein sport shocks. Something stiffer. I find that I want more damping.
An update please on your Tokico HPs.

The high frequency vibration....are you referring to an oscillating movement of the chassis over smooth concrete or asphalt?

I'm starting to get that now with my original OEM shocks, as they are on their way out.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by athens
An update please on your Tokico HPs.

The high frequency vibration....are you referring to an oscillating movement of the chassis over smooth concrete or asphalt?

I'm starting to get that now with my original OEM shocks, as they are on their way out.
Athens,

I have continued to drive, perceive, and think about what I am feeling and I have come to two conclusions. First, the high frequency oscillation is very minor and must be in the tires. I don't remember if I posted this in the original post but I also changed tires at the same time (michelin pilot sport a/s plus). It just isn't possible for the new shocks, which would definitely have more damping than the 100,000-mile beaters, to allow an underdamped chassis oscillation like that that did not exist previously. The mass of the car did not change, the spring rate did not change, and if anything the damping factor increased. So, it's not caused by the Blues. Second, something is effed up under my car. Maybe compression rods. I keep asking every shop that sees the car for different things to check all the suspension bushings and they always say everything looks fine. BS. Something is not fine, but it's clearly something other than the tires and shocks. So, given the fact that I've got something else amiss under my car, it's really hard for me to say credibly that I like the Blues or not. Sorry for posting this useless thread!

-Dudefish

Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, awesome info, thank you. When I'm ready for it, HPs are definitely what I'm going with.

Btw I had these tires and I can tell you they are definitely rough riding and noisier than most tires on the market.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Athens,

.....So, given the fact that I've got something else amiss under my car, it's really hard for me to say credibly that I like the Blues or not. Sorry for posting this useless thread!

-Dudefish
Definitely not a useless post. Your input is appreciated.

When you had changed tires had you found any cupping in the old tires?

My car is entirely OEM.

Yet I had my both my radius arms (compression rods) replaced at 60K miles My local Just Tire shop discovered that my front tires (2nd set after OEM: GY Eagle Responsedge) were badly cupped thanks to extreme toe out, in just 25K miles. The techs found that the one radius arm was actually bent, likely due to a bad road impact. They also found the beginnings of tears in the ball joint bushings on both arms. You have to look real close with a bright light to see the tears.

Just to verify the diagnosis my local Infiniti dealer concurred. Their parts department admitted that given the poor pavement in metro Chicago the radius arms/ bushings go bad on lots of Infinitis and Mercedes they sell and service.

And, no, they were not making any clanking noises.

But once the radius arms were replaced the car aligned to specs with ease.

I'm actually strongly leaning towards a set of low mileage OEM shocks as replacements. The installer I have selected states that while the Tokico HPs are excellent their useful life on less than glass-smooth pavement is perhaps 20% more than the OEM shocks, regardless of the "Lifetime Warranty".

Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Well thanks guys. Glad this info is helpful. I have been fortunate on tire wear. My tires have always worn perfectly straight and smooth, and I've never had a problem with pulling/drifting either.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM
From what I have been reading...researching. If you are a daily driver and you want a little (tiny bit) more performance....go with the HPs. However if you are going to be racing...and I mean in turns, D-specs. So if you are racing your buddy in a quarter...HPs are fine....street racing, you want the Ds. The infiniti has a "great" suspension from the factory for DD. The HPs are great for those that aren't too serious with racing and would just like a good performing ride. That seems to be what I get from the reading I have done.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
All I know is the money I spent on the D-specs and the Hotchkis Swaybars was the best bang for the buck so far. It made a night and day difference in my sedan.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Updated info on my suspension. The rear tires are wearing fine. The fronts are all chewed to hell on the inner and outer edges. (Inflation pressure always kept at 32, so it's not underinflation.) Something def messed up in the front suspension.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
your fronts are chewed up on inside AND outside edge? weird. I have the HP's and I'm not wearing the outside on the fronts but I did have a cupping issue on the inside. I recently had my aligment adjusted due to improper toe in the front though.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
your fronts are chewed up on inside AND outside edge? weird. I have the HP's and I'm not wearing the outside on the fronts but I did have a cupping issue on the inside. I recently had my aligment adjusted due to improper toe in the front though.
Yep. And they're not "worn" on the edges, the rubber looks like it's getting sort of shredded off. It's weird. I just need to spend some coin on new comp rods, LCA bushings, and probably wheel bearings.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:21 AM
(Inflation pressure always kept at 32, so it's not underinflation.)
Mine calls for 35 on all four. Are you sure it's not under inflation?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
hey guys, so I'm almost at 100k miles and i can tell the rear is starting to give. I'm starting to have some wheel clearance issues as well (20's) would the HP's help stiffen it up enough to stop the sagging? also i'm on tein s-techs

Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
this depends entirely on where you live because if i had 35 psi in NY or parts of NJ my tires would blow with out question lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tokico HP Blues Installed