Ride Quality Getting Worse.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like you answered your own question. Why don't you just replace the bushing if you know it is shot and if the problem persist then replace the struts. Struts with 100k miles on them are definitely nearing their end.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much are shocks and struts and what kind is good? I want to retain stock ride.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I've heard good things about the Tokico HP Blues. I think they run just under $300.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
LOL...1st estimate at local tire store. $889.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 PM
2nd estimate $630 for KYB which he said is a stock replacement. Fellows help me out please. WHat is the best (not most expensive) shock for stock replacement? The 1st estimate was for Monroe but I knew that place would be very high.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:24 PM
3rd estimate is $847 (Monroes). The labor is the killer. Over 2 hrs for each front side. $127 per each front side for struts alone. The guy suggested doing the front only for now because thats where the weight is and most of the ride quality. Front only is approx $530. **** **** damn I am shocked...lol.

Last edited by sleeper22; 12-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Get Tokico Blues (Tokico makes most of the OEM G35 shocks anyway) for ~$300 (here's one such site: http://www.advancespeedshop.com/toki...-fr-p-914.html) and have them put on by a local shop. You can do the rear shocks yourself if you really want to save money - it's only 3 bolts per side and the springs are attached separately, unlike the front strut setup which has the spring concentric to the strut. Rears are pretty straightforward.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeper22
3rd estimate is $847 (Monroes). The labor is the killer. Over 2 hrs for each front side. $127 per each front side for struts alone. The guy suggested doing the front only for now because thats where the weight is and most of the ride quality. Front only is approx $530. **** **** damn I am shocked...lol.
Sorry to laugh, but your shops are going by the Nissan "book" time which is legit. It's funny because I can swap out each front side spring/shock in about 45 minutes a piece and that's with basic handtools. The rears are REALLY easy. We're talking 20 minutes per side, if that. If it were me, I'd buy a used set of low mileage shocks from someone on this site for $50-80 and go to an independent shop. BTW, the Tokico makes the OEM shocks.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Your right they are for the most part going by the book. One of the cheaper estimates said they dont go by the book because they would lose alot of business if they did. Thanks for your advice but I couldn't find anyone with lower mileage OEM shocks. I am getting some Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks put on tomorrow at a decent price as I am travelling in the next few days and need them put on very soon. They come with a lifetime warranty and I can take it back to where I bought them if something fails. From my understanding the Monroes are a good riding shock and not as firm as KYB or Tokico and most of my driving is 70/30 highway/city. I know alot of guys here probably have aftermarket suspensions and firmer shocks but I dont need that or want it. Guess I am getting too old...lol. Oh and yes I did find out like you say Tokico makes the OEM shocks.

Sam

Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am getting some Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks put on tomorrow at a decent price
link and price, please. others, myself included, may be interested in these.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by codeflux
link and price, please. others, myself included, may be interested in these.
Alot of auto parts stores sell them. For the money they are a good replacement for OEM. The fronts can be had for $99 each and the rear less of course. I searched alot of forums and they make them for a ton of cars and trucks. Most people gave them positive reviews. Most of the ones who didn't are guys who just don't like Monroe or think they are crap because they are not made for modified suspensions. They are suppossed to be a good all around shock/strut. The shop that is putting them on for me had the KYB GR-2 and he likes them but said they will be firmer than the Monroes. I will let you know how they are in a few days.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM
What about the "top hats" or "strut mount bearings" ? Are they normally shot by 100K miles on these cars? I'm asking since I've just recently changed my compression rods, front swaybar endlinks and I still have a small, yet noticeable 'thud' that seems to originate from the front end when driving over small bumps in the road.

I've only been able to locate the strut mount bearings at the local Nissan parts counter and they run about $70 each so if they're not a normally a cause it may save me upwards of $150 when I decide to replace my struts/shocks (which will be within the next 5k miles or so).

Thx,

Al

Old 12-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Only put a few miles on today but they are firmer than stock for sure. Its a very noticeable difference. My stock shocks were toast I know but I bought my car with a little over 70K miles. I think its going to take a few miles for these Monroes to break in so I will report back.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Only put a few miles on today but they are firmer than stock for sure. Its a very noticeable difference. My stock shocks were toast I know but I bought my car with a little over 70K miles. I think its going to take a few miles for these Monroes to break in so I will report back.
Any feedback on the Monroe Sensamatics?

I too am looking for a shock that favors the ride compliance portion of the compromise. The already has G has plenty firm OEM springs and bushings.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 AM
I've had the Monroe Sensa Tracs on my G for a couple of weeks now. Driven on both smooth and rough ice-covered/packed roads, and cornered on "S"-shaped on-ramps. Keep in mind that I'm not autocrossing and in that sense, the Sensa Tracs are definitely doing their job - compliant on the smaller bumps, and firmer when cornering hard. I've had good luck with Sensa Tracs on many other vehicles and if you appreciate a smoother ride these may be worth trying.

FYI, Sensa Tracs like many other shocks are twin-tube designs (vs mono-tube). Yes, if you autocross your G, twin-tube shocks can aerate (oil/gas mix) and reduce the performance. For general driving which most folks do, twins will be fine.

Slightly off-topic, but may be of interest: the front is not really a strut, as in MacPherson. There is NO bearing on the top mount, so the coil/shock is not turning when you turn the wheels. The reason I bring this up is because I replaced my top hats, but it wasn't really necessary. As long as the rubber isn't cracked and the mount isn't falling apart, you should be OK to reuse 'em.

- Al

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality Getting Worse.