Ride Quality Getting Worse.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ascdesigns
I've had the Monroe Sensa Tracs on my G for a couple of weeks now. Driven on both smooth and rough ice-covered/packed roads, and cornered on "S"-shaped on-ramps. Keep in mind that I'm not autocrossing and in that sense, the Sensa Tracs are definitely doing their job - compliant on the smaller bumps, and firmer when cornering hard. I've had good luck with Sensa Tracs on many other vehicles and if you appreciate a smoother ride these may be worth trying.

FYI, Sensa Tracs like many other shocks are twin-tube designs (vs mono-tube). Yes, if you autocross your G, twin-tube shocks can aerate (oil/gas mix) and reduce the performance. For general driving which most folks do, twins will be fine.

Slightly off-topic, but may be of interest: the front is not really a strut, as in MacPherson. There is NO bearing on the top mount, so the coil/shock is not turning when you turn the wheels. The reason I bring this up is because I replaced my top hats, but it wasn't really necessary. As long as the rubber isn't cracked and the mount isn't falling apart, you should be OK to reuse 'em.

- Al
I'm on my OEM shocks at 67K miles on my non-sport coupe (and am original owner since July 2003) and I can't be sure that the shocks truly need replacement at this time.

The car rode stiff from day one and you notice it here on Chicago area streets which are in poor shape do to weather extremes, road salt, steel plowing, and heavy truck traffic.

Yet in the past 10,000 miles or so I have noticed that the car really slams hard over frost heaves on roads, and it judders bad over small pot-holes.

However there is no oil leakage or any physical damage to any shock and three shops which performs a "bounce test" found that there is hardly any bounce or give in the suspension.

I had a problem with the front tires cupping prematurely but it was traced to excessive toe out at the front where the radius arm bushings were worn and one of the arms was actually bent - both were replaced.

I wonder if the impact that caused the front passengers side radius arm to bend caused damage to the shock, which can't be seen.

I imagine that the high spring rates of the OEM springs could cause some real wear to the shocks.

But I wonder whether bushings could be a culprit in the "harsh" ride as well.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Keep in mind cooler weather will make the car ride rougher. Secondly, the bounce test really isn't effective, especially on a car with stiff springs. A Buick? Probably. A G35? Nope. The G is a stiff riding car, even with the non-sport suspension. It's the nature of the beast.

If your G is over 5 years old, has 60K+ miles, and is on the OEM shocks, then it's probably time to replace them. The shocks can handle the spring rates; however, road conditions play a major factor and most roads in the US are in pretty poor shape. The ride gets harsher because the shocks loose their dampening ability. If it were me, I'd either source a low mileage set of G shocks for $100 or spend $400 and go with adjustable Tokicos.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Keep in mind cooler weather will make the car ride rougher. Secondly, the bounce test really isn't effective, especially on a car with stiff springs. A Buick? Probably. A G35? Nope. The G is a stiff riding car, even with the non-sport suspension. It's the nature of the beast.

If your G is over 5 years old, has 60K+ miles, and is on the OEM shocks, then it's probably time to replace them. The shocks can handle the spring rates; however, road conditions play a major factor and most roads in the US are in pretty poor shape. The ride gets harsher because the shocks loose their dampening ability. If it were me, I'd either source a low mileage set of G shocks for $100 or spend $400 and go with adjustable Tokicos.
Well I suppose I shouldn't be too shocked that this could happen to expensive OEM shocks (my local Infiniti dealer wants $220 for each of the fronts and $160 for each of the backs - Bilstein money) when a radius (compression arm) can get bent in normal driving on a our bad roads.

Are you suggesting that the HP (Blues) won't cut it for my needs - simply gentle daily driving? In understand that the D-Specs have the adjustability and I can appreciate where that would favor those running higher than OEM spring rates (lowering springs).

I would hazard to guess because ride compliance standards are so subjective that is the reason most service shops are reticent to recommend shock absorber replacement until they can point to some physical manifestation. They probably fear that many customers will return to complain that ride compliance somehow WORSENED after the OEMs were swapped out for something from the aftermarket.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I would like to ask the same question Athens asked. Wonder if the bushings can cause a harsh ride? While my car rides a bit better after replacing the shocks it still is not riding that well. I still feel every bump in the road and its like the suspension is not compliant and absorbing the bumps like it should. I need to get the bushings checked out I guess soon because I am not liking the ride at all.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
sleeper22 / athens - I really don't think bushings will contribute that much to a harsh ride. The majority of the shocks/bumps are taken up/transmitted by your springs and shocks.

That being said, you should choose your shocks based on your driving style. Athens, you are absolutely correct: ride compliance is entirely subjective. I'm 41 years old and lost the urge to corner hard on every turn or autocross anymore (I did with my MINI a while back) hence my decision to go with the Sensa Tracs. I don't know for sure, but the Tokico HP Blues would probably do you just fine - I've heard almost nothing but great things about them. I made my decision both on ride quality and the ability to leverage the lifetime warranty easily (just in case) with the local shops carrying Monroe shocks.

Just my .02, everyone has opinions and that's all we can offer.

- Al

Last edited by ascdesigns; 01-20-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 AM
I did go with the Sensa Tracs and I was looking for a softer ride as I am an old guy...lol.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Update on Sensa Tracs:

It was obvious my stock shocks were toast. The new shocks seem very stiff because the stock shocks were gone. I still think the Monroes are a bit stiff but should loosen up more. I have roughly 1000 miles on them. Cornering is much better for sure as the car is much more stable. I do have to take the car in soon and get the compression rod bushings checked out.

I have a question? Are the compression rod bushings also called control arm bushings? The reason I ask is the local shop looked this part up awhile back and could not find Compression rod. He just found control arm.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 AM
sleeper,
The lower front suspension comprises two "arms": the compression rod and traverse link (as Nissan calls it). Try to find the online service manuals on this link and view the "FSU" (front suspension) chapter: http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/sedan/

Based on findings on this site, it seems much easier to just purchase two new compression rods than to try buying just the bushings and have them pressed in. Apparently labor is more costly than just swapping them.

- Al

Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by ascdesigns
sleeper,
The lower front suspension comprises two "arms": the compression rod and traverse link (as Nissan calls it). Try to find the online service manuals on this link and view the "FSU" (front suspension) chapter: http://psedog.com/cars/fsm/g35/sedan/

Based on findings on this site, it seems much easier to just purchase two new compression rods than to try buying just the bushings and have them pressed in. Apparently labor is more costly than just swapping them.

- Al
Many service shops refer to these components as "radius arms." One multi-brand luxury dealer in my suburb of Chicago states that the bushings on these radius arms wear quickly in Mercedes Benz models as well. For this reason the replacement arms are a commonly stocked part.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by sleeper22
Update on Sensa Tracs:

It was obvious my stock shocks were toast. The new shocks seem very stiff because the stock shocks were gone. I still think the Monroes are a bit stiff but should loosen up more. I have roughly 1000 miles on them. Cornering is much better for sure as the car is much more stable. I do have to take the car in soon and get the compression rod bushings checked out.

I have a question? Are the compression rod bushings also called control arm bushings? The reason I ask is the local shop looked this part up awhile back and could not find Compression rod. He just found control arm.
Can you describe harshness of the Sensatracs on impacts...is it a mere thud or is it more of a crashing feeling?

Over uneven RR crossings do you notice the chassis teeter from side to side?

If you know are the Sensatracs shorter than OEM (as has been reported about Tokico HPs)?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by athens
Can you describe harshness of the Sensatracs on impacts...is it a mere thud or is it more of a crashing feeling?

Over uneven RR crossings do you notice the chassis teeter from side to side?

If you know are the Sensatracs shorter than OEM (as has been reported about Tokico HPs)?
Its not really harshness its more stiffness. I notice on uneven roads or a road that has alot of small quick dips or irregularities, I am getting back and forth stiffness that I never felt with the stock shocks. THe suspension is overall stiffer. Now one thing I really do notice is the rear especially may have a crashing feeling more than the front. I guess the weight of the front does not give the crashy feeling you describe because of the front end load but the rearend is light as hell.

I dont really see alot of RR track crossings around here. I know what your talking about though. I think its the nature of the beast with this car. Side to side my car does feel better than before believe it or not.

No I have no idea if the SensaTracs are shorter than OEM. Does anyone else???

Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Update:

Finally took the plunge and swapped out the original shocks (68K miles) on my 2003 coupe (non-sport) with OEM shocks (near new). Probably should have changed them at 60K miles. They sure must have some nice pavement in Japan because our midwestern roads just kill our suspension components.

Gone is the oscillating feeling of the chassis on smooth pavement and a lot (though not all) of the harshness on abrupt breaks in pavement.

Except for the occasional squeak here or there, the car rides like it did new.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Athens I wish I would have shopped around for a used stock shock. They are very good IMO. Glad you are happy now. The Monroe's aren't bad shocks but overall the stockers are better and more compliant.

I actually traded my car a couple of weeks ago. I found a fantastic deal on a Acura TL. There were a few reasons I traded of course but overall I am really liking the TL. It is more refined, has a nicer interior, quiet, and gets better gas mileage. The FWD does help in the snow where the G sucks *** but I knew that before I bought it. I do like the torque of the G better and its quite noticeable. The TL has more HP but you feel that torque. They are two totally different cars but for overall value the TL is better and I am not bashing the G35 at all because I love it. The TL just has a better quality feel to it. The 2007 G's finally changed the interior which it needed desparately. I do miss the G35 and we will see if I made the right decision as the miles roll by. Funny thing not long after I got the TL I started seeing black G35's all around town...lol. Got me thinking if I made the right move...lol.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by sleeper22
Athens I wish I would have shopped around for a used stock shock. They are very good IMO. Glad you are happy now. The Monroe's aren't bad shocks but overall the stockers are better and more compliant.

I actually traded my car a couple of weeks ago. I found a fantastic deal on a Acura TL. There were a few reasons I traded of course but overall I am really liking the TL. It is more refined, has a nicer interior, quiet, and gets better gas mileage. The FWD does help in the snow where the G sucks *** but I knew that before I bought it. I do like the torque of the G better and its quite noticeable. The TL has more HP but you feel that torque. They are two totally different cars but for overall value the TL is better and I am not bashing the G35 at all because I love it. The TL just has a better quality feel to it. The 2007 G's finally changed the interior which it needed desparately. I do miss the G35 and we will see if I made the right decision as the miles roll by. Funny thing not long after I got the TL I started seeing black G35's all around town...lol. Got me thinking if I made the right move...lol.
Here in Chicago where our climate and roads are far more extreme than what you experience in KY, the FWD Acura TLs are very popular.

Did you get the new TL?

In fact my law partner leased a 2009 model and his son has a 2006 TL. Nonetheless I don't think the Acuras are significantly more refined or have significantly better build quality than the current Gs.

I'd still say that both are a bare notch below BMWs, Benzes or Audis when it comes to ride compliance and build quality. But then again none of those brands can match the reliability of the Japanese Luxury Big 3.

BTW my travails with my Gs suspension aren't over. It seems now that the shocks were replaced and ride height is back to new the disparity between left and right front camber is so much so that the car pulls to the left.

My hunch is that the pot-hole which bent the right radius arm last year also bent either the spindle or wheel hub. I am getting the diagnosis this week.

The Illinois Department of Transportation better be getting a big check ready for me.

Good luck with the TL.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:33 PM
No I didn't get a new one. Don't much care for the look of it and couldn't afford a new one. I got the 3rd generation which ran from 04-08. Mine is an 05 that had low miles, in fantastic condition and $2500 below book. I couldn't pass it up quite frankly.

Yes you are right about the reliablity of Japanese cars. Thats why I buy them. The Germans just can't seem to get the electrical systems reliable enough so I stay away. BMW's are great cars but their interiors are plain in comparison to other cars at this price point. They put more emphasis on the rest of the car which makes them fun to drive. Audi's are electrical nightmares and Benz's are expensive to upkeep.

I really didn't mean the Acuras are significantly more refined just more refined and a better feel IMO.

Goodluck with the IL Transportation Dept. Hope you win Call up Obama he might pull some strings for you...lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ride Quality Getting Worse.