Lowering the car and End Links question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Lowering the car and End Links question.

I got a quick question about End Links.

How much can you lower the car without having to replace OEM End Links?
Which lowering mods are acceptable to use with OEM End Links.

I see allot of people lowering their Gs on springs and coil overs and nobody never talks about replacing the End Links during the lowering process.
Is it because End links are not effected in most lowering cases or cuz people simply don't know that by lowering cars they need to replace their End Links with adjustable ones?

How much harm is done to the car if you lower it and don't replace the End Links? Will your handling suffer much?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Most people run into problems when they are lowered AND have aftermarket sways. It's the sways that stress the endlinks IMHO. Most don't change until they start clunking/rattling. I got a set of used spls that I'll install soon

Old 01-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like jeff said i didnt notice any noises until after i installed my adjustable stillen sways. I went with power grids as the SPL ones look like they can be made from home depot parts. Basically the main purpose of having adjustable endlinks is so that you take all pre-load off your sway bar, putting it back into neutral position.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
like jeff said i didnt notice any noises until after i installed my adjustable stillen sways. I went with power grids as the SPL ones look like they can be made from home depot parts. Basically the main purpose of having adjustable endlinks is so that you take all pre-load off your sway bar, putting it back into neutral position.
i just ordered myself a set they cost more than the damn sway bars lol

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
lowering and even sway bars is not an automatic requierement to change the endlinks. Most drivers won't run into issues with stock endlinks. Its when u take turns fast often is when you can run into problems with stock endlinks such as snapping them in half.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:51 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
^IC

So if you lower the car on some springs it's not a big of an issue if your end links are not exactly straight?

Old 01-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There are two reasons why you might want to consider adjustable end links. If you run coil over suspension and you have your car corner weighted (where the cross weights are equalized by varying corner ride heights) it is likely that the left and right front corners of the car will not end up at exactly the same ride height. This causes a "pre load" on the sway bar when using fixed length sway bar end links. If one side of the bar is in loading at level ride height, the car does not turn-in the same to the left as it does the right.

If you have an adjustable sway bar and you put each side of the bar on different holes, you will also preload the bar. Ever notice that the bolt on the end link doesn't go perfectly in the sway bar hole? If so, when you tighten it, you are preloading the bar.

If your car is lowered and you are using stock endlinks most likely you are preloading the sway bar due to the overall length, this effects how your suspension works. The sway bar is not ment to have a load until the weight shifts left or right during cornering. Prior to cornering the suspension should be working off of the springs and shocks.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
^IC

So if you lower the car on some springs it's not a big of an issue if your end links are not exactly straight?

Originally Posted by 06PlatinumG
There are two reasons why you might want to consider adjustable end links. If you run coil over suspension and you have your car corner weighted (where the cross weights are equalized by varying corner ride heights) it is likely that the left and right front corners of the car will not end up at exactly the same ride height. This causes a "pre load" on the sway bar when using fixed length sway bar end links. If one side of the bar is in loading at level ride height, the car does not turn-in the same to the left as it does the right.

If you have an adjustable sway bar and you put each side of the bar on different holes, you will also preload the bar. Ever notice that the bolt on the end link doesn't go perfectly in the sway bar hole? If so, when you tighten it, you are preloading the bar.

If your car is lowered and you are using stock endlinks most likely you are preloading the sway bar due to the overall length, this effects how your suspension works. The sway bar is not ment to have a load until the weight shifts left or right during cornering. Prior to cornering the suspension should be working off of the springs and shocks.
^what he said. Most daily driven cars won't have this issue though. If clicking and such sounds appear that it will be time for you to think about aftermarket endlinks.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Beebo
i just ordered myself a set they cost more than the damn sway bars lol
you wont be dissapointed with the quality of them i can gaurantee you that. Their customer service is top notch as well. Did you also experience clicking with your end links or just replacing as a precaution?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
you wont be dissapointed with the quality of them i can gaurantee you that. Their customer service is top notch as well. Did you also experience clicking with your end links or just replacing as a precaution?
yeah i do not feel like dealing with problems later down the road

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
^make sure u take it to a shop that has done adjustable endlinks before. The key is to install them CORRECTLY!

Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
^make sure u take it to a shop that has done adjustable endlinks before. The key is to install them CORRECTLY!
will do man...

Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
its pretty much easier than changing your oil why would u need a shop to do it unless youre getting your car corner balanced?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yeah, what's so technical about it?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
its pretty much easier than changing your oil why would u need a shop to do it unless youre getting your car corner balanced?
its tricky because first: the car's weight have be on springs meaning you need a lift that raises the whole car up from the wheels not from the frame.
When you're doing the install you have make sure there is someone close to your weight in the driver's seat, most shops won't let you sit in the car while they are doing any type of work.
When adjusting the endlink height it can be tough (at least in my case) to get the adjustment correctly because sometimes the height of the endlink might not match where the hole ends up.

Some other minor issues that i ran in to and ultimately made the car's handling worse that before.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lowering the car and End Links question.