Function Form II vs BC Racing Coilovers

Old 04-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Deezflip
^ with the shorter springs, My guess is that on the coupe, it drops the fender right at the rim of a 19inch wheel(similar to johnnyone's rear height on his sedan)maximum, since the standard rear springs drops the fender about a little pass the tire, just above halfway of the tire's profile. It'll be the maximum for the BC in the rear, but as what johnnyone stated, he can lower it some more with the F&F.

I can't drive my car being that super low anyways, especially here in Baltimore, so F&F's slammage capability would've been useless for me.
Hmm see that's what I'm thinking as well, I most definitely will not be slamming it that low anytime soon unfortunately since this is my DD. But it would also be nice to retain that ability for the future, but then I could just remove the spring perches... I have heard that having the coil more towards its maximum causes it to go a bit faster, but then again I hear bc's are $100 to repair, I have not heard how much f&f are though..

If only one of these had a better performance side to it this decision would be much easier. Well guess it's time to just get the quotes double checked and pick one..

Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Knowing that I have the ability to go lower is nice. I know that it wouldn't b dd friendly but atleast I know that if I went to a car show or something I could set it on the frame if I wanted to.

With bcs knowing that you can repair coils for a 100 bucks each is a good feeling. Not sure what the rate is for f&f never inquired but I do know it has a one ear warranty.

One heads up on he f&f the key wrench doesn't fit on the perch for height adjustment all that well. I mean it works ok but I think there could have been a better design on the key. Not sure how the key is on the bcs or other coils are.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Xet
^how bad is the wrench to adjust?? how hard is it to overall adjust ride height and dampening given the tools aren't great?

also for anyone wondering I asked bryan@precisionz about the f&f repairs and here is what he had to say:
As for the info, they offer a year warranty on all defects. After the warranty is up the cost to re-valve the shocks is $75-100 per shock depending on how much damage is done. Honestly I have never seen anyone cause more than $75 for a simple rebuild. The only one that was $100 was due to an accident and the lower bracket had snapped off.

Bryan
I am deciding between this deal and the $999 deal on bc + gtspec fsb but on how much I am saving on the f&f and the fact that they aren't cheaper to repair is making me favor the f&f

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
^ the wrench isn't terrible I can still adjust the height on each side in less than 10 mins. Dampening up front is easy to get to, on the rear you have to take off two 12 mm nuts and pull the shock down to adjust unless you get the tool to adjust from the trunk.

this is what the trunk tool looks like:

Old 04-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
So, here's my question. I have the older version function and form type 2's (yes they have an older and a newer version) and my rear shocks are bamboozled (blown/bouncy/noisy) and F&F doesn't offer rebuild or replace on the older version now. So, the question is... am I SOL? or is there a way for me to remedy this apart from having to buy all new coils?

Anyone know where I can get the rear dampener adjustment extension pictured above?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
^No one?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by parhamm1
So, here's my question. I have the older version function and form type 2's (yes they have an older and a newer version) and my rear shocks are bamboozled (blown/bouncy/noisy) and F&F doesn't offer rebuild or replace on the older version now. So, the question is... am I SOL? or is there a way for me to remedy this apart from having to buy all new coils?

Anyone know where I can get the rear dampener adjustment extension pictured above?
If i was you i would prob just buy some rear aftermarket peformance shocks like Tokico or something in that nature. Like me know if you are interested in going this route. I think i can get those to you at a competive price.

As for the extension, that pic was from a BC extension. So if you want that one i would contact a vendor on here that sells BC coilovers and see if you can just get that extension. Or anything you can try is, getting a rubber hose that would fit snug over the dampening **** and then run that rubber hose to your trunk. Not sure the rubber hose would be firm enough to turn the **** but it would be worth a try.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Interesting ideas. I think I would just try to buy an extension that would work instead of going the rubber hose route, but interesting idea none the less.

On the Tokico shock idea... Would you suggest just pairing a different aftermarket spring with the rear Tokico's or would you think it is safe to use the F&F rear spring with the Tokico shock?

Also, if you can get me a good deal on just rear Tokico's then please let me know ASAP.

Thanks again,

Matt

Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Did they offer rear replacements of the newer version at a resonable cost? And if so, how do rear spring rates differ between ver1 and ver 2?

What makes you sure that a different brand's dampener adjustment extension will mount and adjust on your F&F dampers? Bc is a oem supplier to a lot of the off brand companies, so that it could be possible.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Interesting ideas. I think I would just try to buy an extension that would work instead of going the rubber hose route, but interesting idea none the less.

On the Tokico shock idea... Would you suggest just pairing a different aftermarket spring with the rear Tokico's or would you think it is safe to use the F&F rear spring with the Tokico shock?

Also, if you can get me a good deal on just rear Tokico's then please let me know ASAP.

Thanks again,

Matt
Tokico's have a limited range of spring stiffness that they can run with. D-specs are 450lbs, HP's, who know's. If you exceed that range and have too much spring for the damper you won't like how the car behaves in a simular fashion to how you don't like things now. And I do believe that your rear F&F dampers are adjustable for length, meaning you can adjust them to maintain stroke with your ride height settings. Not to mention having the front of the car on a very different valving path vs the rear. Yeah you can roll the dice and get OMG this is so much better or OMG this is so much worse.

IMO, I see 2 option's.

1. Pull the suspension and part out what you can, the upper mounts would have some value, providing they use 65mm ID springs and not 63mm-62mm. Then buy something new.

2. Look into F&F version 2 rear dampers. Big if though, have ver2 rear spring rates changed? Have ver2 valving rates changed? Getting accurate info from the maker you can take to the bank, well,......?

You could have Bilstein revalve some rear HD shocks, but I see $$ making that a non starter.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Function and Form will not offer replacements for the older version 2 shocks. They said, point blank, that they wouldn't sell the newer rear shocks as replacements for the older version because of different valving and spring rates... I don't think it's all that true that I wouldn't be able to successfully use them and have a fine ride, but on the other hand I understand them not wanting to give out new shock replacements for only $75.00 when they can tell me they won't work and thus giving them the opportunity to try to sell me an entire new coilover setup.

And about the dampener adjustment extension; I have no clue whether or not they would fit/work. I've put the question out to a couple sponsors and we'll see what they come back to me with.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Xet
^hmm very interesting... did you try asking the vendors to see if they could get 2 rears for you? I'm about to order a set of f&f today

Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 PM
If you're ordering the new ones then you're golden because if you have issues with shocks outside of the year warranty then they'll send you brand new ones without having to send your old ones back for only $75 each, which is an amazing deal.

But it sounds like I'm SOL unless I can get a vendor to do some dirty work for me and get me some newer rears for the $75 each.... And then even I just have to hope that they will work fine.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:06 PM
Function and Form will not offer replacements for the older version 2 shocks. They said, point blank, that they wouldn't sell the newer rear shocks as replacements for the older version because of different valving and spring rates... I don't think it's all that true that I wouldn't be able to successfully use them and have a fine ride, but on the other hand I understand them not wanting to give out new shock replacements for only $75.00 when they can tell me they won't work and thus giving them the opportunity to try to sell me an entire new coilover setup.

And about the dampener adjustment extension; I have no clue whether or not they would fit/work. I've put the question out to a couple sponsors and we'll see what they come back to me with.
Unless F&F or BC confirms BC makes the F&F product I don't see how anyone can tell you for sure that they mount and operate. If you can get a sponcer to agree to a return less shipping and handling, that would be great.

That's a tuff call on what F&F said about not selling you ver2 rear dampers. Do they have a legit reason to not sell that really is tied into valving and spring rate or are they playing it safe without really having a clue? Can you confirm you were speaking to a tech or was it just the person that answers the phones? For them to want you to buy a new setup is a risk, you got burnt with the 1st set, why on earth would you pony up again?

What is the rear spring rate of what you have now, the ver1 and what is the rear spring rate of the ver2?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I agree on the dampener extensions. I'll see if F&F can get them for me because I haven't asked. It's really going to come down to what solution I can find on the rear struts anyway...

The guy I spoke to there was Robert and he didn't sound like some savy sales guy, he sounded like a tech. The rear spring rate on my current setup is 8k. From their website the newer version 2 rear spring rates are still 8k....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Function Form II vs BC Racing Coilovers