Need some guidance w/ alignment specs and adjustments

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need some guidance w/ alignment specs and adjustments

My setup:

- SPC kits (A-Arms, rear camber, toe bolts) installed by me in my drive way.
- Stance LX+ coilovers lowered around 2" all around
- 19" Volk Racing GT-S, offset +17/18
- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 255 & 275

Please find attached my most recent alignment specs. Front is as expected, I was at -2.00 before the A-arms. However, I'm disappointed in the rear specs. The tech at Goodyear told me that if he adjusted the rear camber any more positive, the toe would get out of whack. That's even with the tow bolt? Is it possible I didn't install the toe bolt correctly? I dremled out the oval as close to the templete as I can get it (the holes facing the front of the car are hard to get to without an angled tool). Any thoughts? Suggestions? My main concern is to keep toe in spec to avoid scrubbing. The inner wear from the negative camber is just something I've got to live with, esp with this car and being lowered. Btw, are there any home solutions for checking alignment? Thanks for the feedback.

Attached Thumbnails Need some guidance w/ alignment specs and adjustments-alignment_specs.jpg  
Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IDK what he means by out of whack, so long as you maintain zero toe or less, or why you'd want hardly any toe-in. I run a zero toe setup with 19x9.5 rears and -2.0 deg camber. That was dialed back from -2.5 when I went to the 19's. I see a small amount of additional wear on the insides of the tires but nothing like it was with the stock 18" alignment.

Zero toe rear is not for everyone, that was done when I started autocrossing the car, I prefer it because it makes the rear end more controllable with the right foot. Just have to be aware it's going to come around on you more easily, all things equal.

I don't personally want less than -2.0 deg rear due to the additional traction afforded with the 275's and some negative camber. Maybe the specs have changed since '04. I wish I had the arms to dial in about 0.5 deg camber up front, too, but I have to live with -0.9 deg for now.

If you can sacrifice some toe-in rear and get more positive camber I'd do it. Honestly I cannot remember which direction the rear toe-in goes with just changing camber more positive, I am guessing out - 50/50 chance that's right

BTW I noticed a large improvement in straight line hook-up in the rear just with dialing back to -2.0 from ~.2.5, it handles very well and I like the current balance a lot. I've been running this setup for two years this month and about 21k miles. Some of those miles are on Winter 18" Blizzaks, but unless you're trying to eliminate rear camber down that additional 0.25 deg I'd be pretty happy if you could get it to -2.0 even both sides.

Clearly it can be done, it looks like something going on that driver's rear on your car, if he could hardly pull it back at all.

HTH

Surprised that you are unable to get less rear camber, my '04 is totally stock in the rear besides the sway/end link upgrades,

Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ thanks for the feedback! Good stuff!

I'm not sure why my left side is so much more outta whack than the right. Well, maybe I need to redo the toe bolts? I'ld like to get it within -2.00deg camber.