Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Da_ReD_G
I have a 05 g35..non brembo set up.. no aftermarket parts.. Any recommendations on brake pads other than project mu?
Hello, you can start by telling us what you're looking for in a brake pad. Do you like them with a hard initial bite? Do you care about price? Do you care about dust output? Do you actually track the car? Keep those things in mind when shopping.

Here's my 2 cents: for high initial bite - oem Nissan/Infiniti, Axxis/PBR ULT - favorite and current setup. Both these make a little dust and bite hard even cold. Get the cheaper one of the two.

for less dust but still good bite: Wagner thermoquiet pads. I installed them on my fiance's ES330 over a year ago and still work nice and quiet. I'm not afraid to drive a little hard on them either. Sure, it's not the same car, but similar brake design and vehicle curbweights.

That being said my next setup will include the new Stoptech Street Performance pad. They're said to offer even more bite than Axxis ULT with some dust (according to Subaru forums). All pads mentioned are low-moderately priced and for daily street use. You should look at my posts here and in my350z.

A pad I would NOT recommend are EBC greens. They have awful bite and dangerous feeling on my sis' Subaru. Last but not least, make sure your rotor surface is good or resurfaced. A better more costly option is to get new blank rotors. Wagner blanks work fine imo. Stainless/braided lines are icing on the cake but not necessary.

Last edited by VQdriver; 07-08-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: boredom
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedSTARs
I had HPS Hawk Pads after my OEM's wore out. In the summer they had less fade than the factory pads on the 05 coupe. However, If you live in a wet or cold climate where you get frequent rain and snow, stay away from Hawk HPS pads. They have no initial bite. They are down right dangerous. Its like you're braking system stopped working. Be prepared to stand on your brakes even when you get out of park in the winter.

I through those POS away even when there were 50% of the pad left. I talked to Eddie at Performance Nissan and he recommended Project Mu B-Force or NS pads for their initial bite. Overall after two seasons of winter and summer driving on the B-Force, they have been a dream. The initial bite is similar to factory without the fade after several hard stops. There is very little brake dust compared to factory.

If cost is your main concern, you should just get the OEM pads from Performance Nissan (MyNismo.com) for $48 Front and $62 for the rears.
Front OEM Pads:
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2523
Rear OEM Pads:
http://www.mynismo.com/products/?id=2530

You shouldn't skimp on lower quality brake pads or tires if you value your life. Replacement parts on G's aren't cheep!
Little help please. I got 37K on the OEM and see little reason to change. Your first link was specific to the '06 G35...the second link describes "nissan OEM rear brakepads/shoes" for $62. Part No.: 44060-EG00J. Can someone confimr I am looking at the right part?

Thanks,

Keib

Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by keib
Little help please. I got 37K on the OEM and see little reason to change. Your first link was specific to the '06 G35...the second link describes "nissan OEM rear brakepads/shoes" for $62. Part No.: 44060-EG00J. Can someone confimr I am looking at the right part?

Thanks,

Keib
If it's oem you seek why not just call the dealer and ask for part #s and prices while you're at it? Search on the internet for other Nissan/Infiniti part stores...

Old 07-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keib

Thanks,

Keib
Da_ReD_G was asking for suggestions on pads. You might not see reasons for change; however, some people do. '05, '06 and '07 model years are the same pads. '03~'04 had the option of Brembo's out of the factory. This was standard on coupe '03~'04 6MT models only. Just call the Dealership in your area or just call MyNismo to confirm the accuracy of there website.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Need new brake pads soon.
I am reading A LOT of mixed reviews on the Hawk HPS, EBC Greenstuff and a few other brake pads.
For the OEM, I have been reading mostly good reviews.

I have a 2005 coupe stock brakes and rotors right now.
I am thinking of going OEM brake pads again.
Are there any other brakes you guys recommend.
And if I go with OEM, any good sites to recommend?

Also for the HAWK HPS Pads I see a few options as well such as HB180F.640, HB545F.564, HB387F.547 etc, what do these different HAWK Pads mean?
According to Amazon, all these HAWK HPS Pads fit my 2005 G35...
Which one is for the front and the rears?
It doesn't specify on the page...
Is it interchangeable?

http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performance-HB180F-560-Ceramic-Brake/dp/B000CO66FC/ref=au_pf_ss_5?ie=UTF8&Model=G35%7C885&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Infiniti%7C68&Year=2005%7C2005&carId=001 http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Performance-HB180F-560-Ceramic-Brake/dp/B000CO66FC/ref=au_pf_ss_5?ie=UTF8&Model=G35%7C885&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Infiniti%7C68&Year=2005%7C2005&carId=001

Last edited by buzzking; 03-12-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: added
Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Buzzking, my best advice is to check out our MARKETPLACE under vendor brakes. They'll list what you can use on your year G35. I've been running HAWK HPS pads for several years, love how they stop and enjoy the lack of brake dust. On my '04 I've doubled how long the pads last compared to OE pads, another plus....Gary

The following users liked this post:
buzzking (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am going to try the HAWK HPS!
Thanks Gary c.
What rotors are you using?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
So I've always used Akebono ProACT pads on previous cars, they stop the car and have minimal dust. Other than some spirited back-road driving and Zdayz coming up, my 06 6mt is an interstate queen.

I'm looking for a pad that has low dust but can handle the occasional twisties.

What are some opinions of the following options I think I've found:

*Try Akebono ProACT on the G35
*Hawk HPS Street
*Hawk Performance Ceramic
*Carbotech 1521 compound

Will more than likely be using Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotors unless someone has an opinion otherwise.

Last edited by LoSt180; 04-03-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have 05 coupe 6mt, last weekend i replaced my rear pads only, my rotors were fine,

i got autozone duralast gold for $32.00 honestly they are ceramic and better than oem,. Hella quiet and very low to no dust.

I usually never buy pads from my local store, but my brakes were squeaking and did not want to wait.

i am happy with results so far.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Hawk HPS for sure. They aren't pricey and they get the job done way better than OE pads. Been running them front and back for around a year and a half now.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any one in the Midwest use the HAWK HPS STREET? Do you have any braking problems in the winter/cold weather? I heard these don't have great initial bite and worse if its cold out any comments about this??

Old 05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just ordered the stoptech street performance pads for the front along with the stoptech slotted rotors. They didnt have/told me they didnt make the stoptech pads for the rear so i went with the hawk performance ceramic pads for the rear. didnt get the rear rotors yet as im not quite sure if i need them.

odds are the little vibration i feel in the pedal is coming from the front rotors anyway...

Can anyone speak from experience on the pads ive ordered? Gary? Someone lol?

im sure the front rotors are fine but wasnt sure on the pads...

justin

Last edited by jrockstarr; 05-18-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Akebono proact here. Very happy with the low dust (typically none) and performance. Pricing usually best on amazon with free shipping. Rockauto as well, but shipping usually kills it.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The verdict is still unclear as to what pads are the best. I am looking for good initial bite. My current front pads are Duralast and they don't have a good bite. Not sure if the rear brakes have to do anything with it. I haven't changed the rears since I got the car on 2008.

I need to change my rears. I'm going to get stoptech rotors. Not sure about the pads. Are the stoptech pads semi-metallic only?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by surma884
The verdict is still unclear as to what pads are the best. I am looking for good initial bite. My current front pads are Duralast and they don't have a good bite. Not sure if the rear brakes have to do anything with it. I haven't changed the rears since I got the car on 2008.

I need to change my rears. I'm going to get stoptech rotors. Not sure about the pads. Are the stoptech pads semi-metallic only?
I've used the Hawk HPS pads on my g35 with the Brembo setup. I live in Dallas where it can get in the low 20s and 30s. Initial bite on the Hawks were terrible. Once the pads heated up, they were great. I want pads that can bite hard when cold. Emergencies don't always happen when you have a chance to get your pads up to operating temps. I've never seen anyone in front of me holding up a sign that says i'm about to slam on my brakes so you better heat up your brake pads. If you live in a place that is warm all year round, the Hawk HPS would probably do just fine. I have project mu NS pads now and they work great on my 09 g37 with the Akebono setup. I'll use them when my front pads go out or try the Endless pads. Good luck on getting your pads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Recommendation