brake pad suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
hL.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes brake pad suggestions

Hey,

I've heard great things about brembo and greddy brakes.

What are your suggestions on them?

Are there any other type of brakes that costs less but still performs well?

I live in Canada and need good brakes that can withstand the harsh winter and that has a long lifespan for my 03 g35 sedan.

Also, what are your favorites sites to buy g35 parts?

Cheers

Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
akebonos are cheap and great they are the g37 brakes check em out https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...-06-sedan.html

Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 AM
hL.
They look great! Do you know if the brake pads will fit my oem calipers or do I need to get those calipers? Because my calipers and rotors are still in good shape

Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Akebono brake pads will not fit with your oem calipers and rotors.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Project MU NS brake pads or Hawk HPS.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM
the OP lives in canada, with harsh winters...Hawk HPS's are not recommended.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
the OP lives in canada, with harsh winters...Hawk HPS's are not recommended.
now where in the hell did you pull that information from?

Hawk reply
With our Performance Ceramic you will get at least 20-30% more stopping power, low dust, low noise, rotor friendliness, etc. which is similar to the HPS. The Performance Ceramic contains at least 7% silica particles (vs the standard 2%) which emits a light gray colored dust v the darker dust of the HPS. Both have excellent cold stopping capabilities which some companies market their “ceramic” pad for light track use- therefore resulting in poor cold bite. The poor cold bite characteristic would be more similar with our HP Plus compound…

Please remember that these pads are made in Ohio, near Cleveland; the winters here can be harsh also. As an employee, I get the luxury of “testing” these compounds. I have used both HPS and Performance Ceramic- I personally like the pedal feel of the HPS but my wife runs the Performance Ceramic on her car and loves them.

The HPS v Performance Ceramic battle has been around for some time. I have copied my textbook answer for it below:

Both will give excellent stopping, low dust and better braking than OE. Please understand that HPS has been the choice for consumers looking for an aftermarket brake pad with these characteristics. Performance Ceramic will also outperform OE in most categories but with a few differences than HPS. We designed the Performance Ceramic for consumers looking for a ceramic pad that would provide improved braking without giving up the low dust characteristics of a ceramic. We find that it is very popular with the Tuner crowd - Audi, Volks, Honda & BMWs or a "Luxury and Touring Compound"

Braking - Both HPS and Performance Ceramic have excellent braking characteristics, better than OE. HPS may withstand a little higher temperature.

Pedal feel - You can modulate HPS a little better. The big difference is where the braking occurs when using the pedal. Some people like to feel the brake right away, if you are like this you may want Perf Ceramic. If you want to modulate the brake a little bit, HPS may be your choice.

Dust - Both are low dust pads. The edge probably goes to Perf Ceramic since ceramic dust is a lighter color and may give appearance that it is less.

***If you are an average driver that wants improved braking over OE, I would suggest Performance Ceramic. If you are an aggressive driver, I would suggest HPS. Please go to our website to see which compound is available for your vehicle www.hawkperformance.com

Thanks to Tom Blough at Hawk Performance

That was an answer for a guy who asked a question about running HAWK pads on his IS-F in the Canadian winters.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:24 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
I ran Hawk HPS pads for a while before I picked up a rear BBK, I was very pleased with them. I would also highly recommend Project Mu pads, I have a friend that regularly tracks his car that runs them and he speaks really highly of them.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
I ran Hawk HPS pads for a while before I picked up a rear BBK, I was very pleased with them. I would also highly recommend Project Mu pads, I have a friend that regularly tracks his car that runs them and he speaks really highly of them.

The project MU pads are by far the best pads I have used. The NS pads were great and low dust. The B Force pads were excellent on the track @ the Nissan Convention and still produce minimal dust in street driving.

You need a hook up on either product, let me know.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Hawk HPS pads and I like them. I have heard very good things about the Project Mu brand too. I live in Boston btw.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:20 PM
hL.
thanks guys. really appreciate the help. but i'm currently short on budget so im only going to replace the brake pads for now. I'll def give project mu and hawk a try.

but for now, whats the best brake pad out there that will fit my oem calipers and rotors?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Project Mu & HAWK are brake pads.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:03 PM
i just ordered Hawk HPS pads for my 08 sedan, non akebono. andwill be installing them as soon as possible. look for vendors on here as their prices are great, i got mine from CVR Motorsports. ive heard highly of project mu but i also understand theyre a bit more expensive/ more track orriented

Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hybrid_DET
now where in the hell did you pull that information from?
It's known that HPS's do not have a very good bite when cold (I too currently have HPS's and likely will not be repeating my purchase). OEM is a better choice in inclement weather. I'm not gonna go pull every thread, but here are some examples...

Originally Posted by Texasscout
I just ran 300 VERY HARD miles in a STEADY rain (Raging Bull Texas Stampede). HPS pads SUCKED *****. I love them otherwise, but in the rain, they sucked. Of all the pads I have had (05' OEM, EBC "green stuff", and Hawk HPS), I like the OEM pads the best. They have very little dust and had great cold/rain stopping power.
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
It's been discussed here and in the Brakes and Suspension forum, but Hawk pads really aren't that great for the street. While they dust less than OEM and have better fade resistance, they don't bite very well. They will require more pedal effort than stock pads will. I have used Hawk HPS on a prior car and was not impressed; in fact they made the car scary in the rain and cold weather.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Well the Ceramic's would be a better option, even the HAWK representative said that. I have HPS on my Turbo sentra and love the stopping power, granted I don't drive the car in the rain and surely don't drive it at all in the winter. The best pads I have used so far have been the Project MU pads, NS or B Force. Used both of those on the Brembo brakes on the G.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brake pad suggestions