Changing shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fais
Ohh okay in that case it's probably less likely you will run into this problem since my car is driven every winter. I don't have the part number unfortunately but I did call a local Infiniti dealer and I described the part to them and they knew what I was talking about, they quoted me $15.75 for one bushing and $14.45 for the bolt.

I went to a shop that another member recommended that I've never been to before because they were a lot closer to me but will just go back to my normal mechanic (Vic @ simone performance) to finish the job. He said he would order the part for me and if he's able to get it off using heat or some other way then he'll just keep the parts for someone else in the future. If he does have to press the new bushings in though apparently the labor is a fair bit, between 1-2 hrs on each side he said.

On a side note, the Tokico HPs up front seem pretty nice for the little bit I've driven since I got em installed. I paired them with coupe springs up front and on the rears I replaced my non sport rear springs with sedan sport springs. My car had about 140,000 kms and it definitely feels a lot firmer. I'm going tomorrow to get the rear struts installed so I'll post a follow up with how the install went and my impressions on the ride after I drive it a bit more.
A local shop is going to install it for me for $160. I'm going to be installing TEIN H-Techs with mine, looking for a softer ride so I feel less bumps. Thanks for the help though, I'll definitely look out for the rust.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I got it done, I needed new bushing and bolt on both sides...my mechanic got the bushing for 12 bucks from Nissan and the bolt for 11 but the labor was a pita, they torched off one side of the strut mount so they could get the old bushing and bolt out and then had to press new bushings in. Took bout 2.5-3 hrs to do everything.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eww I'm going to be doing this soon. Hopefully I don't run into these issues.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
What should I lube it with? WD-40?
Come to think about it, the compression rod may not be able to be greased/lubed. If it can, I'd use a waterproof and sticky grease. I use Mobil One grease that I bought from Autozone to lube my hotchkis sway bars. I'm supposed to use silicon grease but can't find it anywhere.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tonke73
You need to get the shock mount for each side of the car. I replaced shocks but not the mounts and the car was rough as hell. The rubber piece in the mounts should be dry and possibly cracked by now.
I think I might of ordered the wrong parts, there's no rubber in these parts.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updates people!
If I may ask you a question, how much did it cost you in parts? and install will only cost $160?

Driving through small bumps I hear something from the suspension, kind of sounds like the shocks are bottoming out, and on the highway, if feels like I'm on a boat tearing through choppy waves.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tonke73
Come to think about it, the compression rod may not be able to be greased/lubed. If it can, I'd use a waterproof and sticky grease. I use Mobil One grease that I bought from Autozone to lube my hotchkis sway bars. I'm supposed to use silicon grease but can't find it anywhere.
If you go to home depot in the plumbing department they carry tiny containers of silicon grease, cost about 3 bucks. It's for lubeing the faucet valves.