Changing shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Changing shocks

I'm going to buy some Tokico Blue HP struts since my car is at 160,000KM now and the ride is a little bouncy. What other small parts do I need to change when changing the shocks/

Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Nothing comes to mind except inspecting the front lower inside control arm bushings and the compression bushings. Would be a good idea to pull the sway bars off and give their bushings a clean and relube.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe an eibach pro kit :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Nothing comes to mind except inspecting the front lower inside control arm bushings and the compression bushings. Would be a good idea to pull the sway bars off and give their bushings a clean and relube.
I'll definitely check that out, thank you.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to get the shock mount for each side of the car. I replaced shocks but not the mounts and the car was rough as hell. The rubber piece in the mounts should be dry and possibly cracked by now.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eibach +1

Old 08-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by tonke73
You need to get the shock mount for each side of the car. I replaced shocks but not the mounts and the car was rough as hell. The rubber piece in the mounts should be dry and possibly cracked by now.
Where do I get shock mounts? Just from the dealer?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
Where do I get shock mounts? Just from the dealer?
You can order them online. Google "Infiniti oem parts" and give those online dealers a call. They will always be cheaper than walking into your local dealership.

http://infiniti.sewellparts.com/
grubbsperformance.com
everythingg35.com and the list goes on.

If you have a G35, you can download the service manuall and find the part name.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 PM
You can order them online. Google "Infiniti oem parts" and give those online dealers a call. They will always be cheaper than walking into your local dealership.

http://infiniti.sewellparts.com/
grubbsperformance.com
everythingg35.com and the list goes on.

If you have a G35, you can download the service manuall and find the part name.

What number would it be?

Got it, number 7.

Last edited by The-Dream; 10-12-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I'm probably going to get new compression rods also, the cars squeeky as hell.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Just lube the compression rods and see how that goes. You might not have to spend the extra cheese on it.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm in Ontario as well, hope your bolts aren't seized up from rust...I just went to a shop today to replace the struts on my car today with Tokico HPs, the installation of the front went smoothly but on the rear, the lower bolt holding the strut was seized on both sides. I have to order new bolts and bushings before I can get it done.

Apparently few others have the same problem too:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...t-problem.html

Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by fais
I'm in Ontario as well, hope your bolts aren't seized up from rust...I just went to a shop today to replace the struts on my car today with Tokico HPs, the installation of the front went smoothly but on the rear, the lower bolt holding the strut was seized on both sides. I have to order new bolts and bushings before I can get it done.

Apparently few others have the same problem too:
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...t-problem.html
Hopefully I won't have this problem since my car hasn't seen winter yet. Do you have the part number for this?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Just lube the compression rods and see how that goes. You might not have to spend the extra cheese on it.
What should I lube it with? WD-40?

Old 10-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by fullvietFX
Hopefully I won't have this problem since my car hasn't seen winter yet. Do you have the part number for this?
Ohh okay in that case it's probably less likely you will run into this problem since my car is driven every winter. I don't have the part number unfortunately but I did call a local Infiniti dealer and I described the part to them and they knew what I was talking about, they quoted me $15.75 for one bushing and $14.45 for the bolt.

I went to a shop that another member recommended that I've never been to before because they were a lot closer to me but will just go back to my normal mechanic (Vic @ simone performance) to finish the job. He said he would order the part for me and if he's able to get it off using heat or some other way then he'll just keep the parts for someone else in the future. If he does have to press the new bushings in though apparently the labor is a fair bit, between 1-2 hrs on each side he said.

On a side note, the Tokico HPs up front seem pretty nice for the little bit I've driven since I got em installed. I paired them with coupe springs up front and on the rears I replaced my non sport rear springs with sedan sport springs. My car had about 140,000 kms and it definitely feels a lot firmer. I'm going tomorrow to get the rear struts installed so I'll post a follow up with how the install went and my impressions on the ride after I drive it a bit more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing shocks