Need Rotor and Pad Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msommers
If I was looking for a pad that worked well in winters and produced less dust, which brands would you suggest? This would be for an 06 MT coupe.

I vaguely remember searching this once before and reading the OEM pads aren't actually that bad.
How much are you willing to spend? When you say 'work well in winter', I assume you want a good initial bite when cold. When you say 'produce less dust', is that compared to stock?

If i'm correct, the brembos were not offered on the Gs from 05 from the time the akebonos were introduced.

I have Project Mu NS pads. $107 shipped for rear pads. They bite somewhat less than the brembos, are rotor friendly and lust a whole lot less. I was also looking at the Endless SSY pads but basically just picked between the two. I am VERY happy with the project mu pads.

Any Hawk pad product won't work for what you are looking for. HPS, bad bite but dust less. HPS, good bite but dust much more.

Akebono pads are stock on my car. I replaced my rear pads when they were at 50%. So in my opinion, they sucked but had very little dust.

I'd rather have a pad that will stop on a dime and dust like crazy. I drive in Dallas, TX and need the stopping power and can care less if my rims are dirty. It is easier to clean my rims than to pay $500 deductible and hassle with the body shop / insurance company.

So I recommend project mu ns pads. This doesn't mean that they are the best, they are the best pads that I've had experience with.

For your needs, OEM pads may suit you fine depending on your setup and brake pad compound material. Different cars brake differently. I've driven a G37 nonsport without akebonos that will outbrake my g37 sport with akebonos.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone. I am having problems with my G35. I just purchased it today. I discovered that the cars brake system was changed to the non Brembo brake system. The car originally came with the Brembo brake system because I checked with the vin. The problem I noticed is that the brake pad is over lapping the rotor. A half of the pad touches the rotor and half doesn't. This problem is occurring in the front and back. My question is, is it possible to down grade a 2004 g35 coupe six speed to non Brembo brake system like they did to my car. If so what things do I need to do fix this problem.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's true, I do not have the brembos the previous models had. With my low mileage, I can likely assume they are still the factory brake pads (since I bought the car used). Just looking for something that will bite very well in winter with hopefully less dust than I have now, albeit the dust isn't that bad.

Thanks tonkue73, that was helpful.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrG35617
Hey everyone. I am having problems with my G35. I just purchased it today. I discovered that the cars brake system was changed to the non Brembo brake system. The car originally came with the Brembo brake system because I checked with the vin. The problem I noticed is that the brake pad is over lapping the rotor. A half of the pad touches the rotor and half doesn't. This problem is occurring in the front and back. My question is, is it possible to down grade a 2004 g35 coupe six speed to non Brembo brake system like they did to my car. If so what things do I need to do fix this problem.

Damn, that sucks to hear. The Brembos are a direct swap, I think. It'd be very easy to change out the Brembo kit for a non-Brembo before the previous owner traded the car in, etc. You should get your brakes checked out. Probably take it back to the dealership you bought it from, that's if you got it at a dealership. Most offer some kind of return/warranty policy. If not, better go find a mechanic.

Btw, welcome to G35Driver! Also, you should start a new thread next time you change subjects.