Need help with suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 11:46 PM
|
Need help with suspension

I have a 2004 G35 coupe. I recently discovered that after only around one year of using my rear tires (the Bridgestones that are recommended for the car) the tire cord is coming out of the center of both of them, while the walls and every other part of the tire are completely fine and have lots of meat left. So obviously I'll need two new rears, but I think I have a slight negative camber which is what caused it. And no, the tires aren't over-inflated, if you were going to ask that.

I guess what my question is, is this normal for this car at around 80k miles? I was thinking I just needed an alignment, after getting mounted and balanced. But could it be an issue with my struts? Just let me know if you've experienced this with similar mileage.

I think I'm going with Hankooks...I've heard good things about them and their tires have a decent price.

Old 11-03-2010 | 10:43 AM
Negative camber would accelerate wear on the inside of the tire, not the center. Increased center wear is almost always from over-inflation, and if not then possibly from too large of a tire for the wheel. Are the rear tires the OEM size?

Yes, you should get an alignment with your new tires, and at 80k you should have replaced the struts by now anyway. They have long since lived their useful life.

Hankook V12 Evo's are good tires. I just got a set in August and am pleased. Not quite as precise as the Michelin Pilot Sports that came with the car, but still very good, have very high grip levels, and are much less expensive.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:53 AM
|
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going with the Hankooks but I really just want to sell the car. I think once I get the tires I'm just going to sell it and let the buyer know it might need struts.