Help! Suspension/coilover questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Suspension/coilover questions

Hey guys! I've searched the site pretty well and have not gotten the exact information I am really looking for. I have an automatic transmission 2004 G coupe. I crashed my car back when I was 16 and basically destroyed the suspension. They told me they basically replaced all of the suspension and other misc parts (I have the records of the service but they are misplaced at the moment), but ever since then I have had suspension squeaks, rattles and other random noises coming from my suspension when I go over uneven roads or speed bumps etc...

I want to give my car a new look and some better performance so I am going to get new wheels, coils and some other misc. parts. I am looking at these wheels here: http://www.raderwerks.com/product/m-ten85-s... The wheels will be 19x8.5 in the front and 19x9.5 in the rear.. I wanted to get everyones opinion on what they feel are the best coils out of the group that I am deciding between. I am looking at: stance gr+ and stance gr+ pros, bc coils, KW variant 1 and 2, Bilstein, Function and Form, and HKS... This car is my daily driver so I am looking for the best coilover kit that will give me the desired drop that I want and the added handling ability but will not affect drive quality to much. I am looking to spend roughly around $1,500 or less on the set of coils. I have been leaning towards the stance coils, but everyone says these are basically just good for dumping your car.

What coils do you all recommend for what I am looking for?
I am also looking to drop my car a good amount, are there any camber kits or other suspension parts you recommend I look into ?

Also I live in Thousand Oaks California, it is a Suburb about 30 minutes outside of Los Angeles. Do you guys recommend any local shops for me to check out to get the suspension and other work done to my G?!?!

Thanks guys!

Max

Last edited by G305; 11-16-2010 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Are you looking at new only or used as well? What are your goals for the car? Just dropping and some better handling? Or are you pure track/performance driven? Does your $1,500 budget include camber kits and install if you aren't doing it yourself?

Search more about camber kits, you will need front and rears. SPL/SPC are good for front, SPC/Ichiba for the rear with toe bolts. Sways are also a great upgrade.

Install is fairly easy if you have the tools and have a very basic mechanical ability, the DIY around here are a great resource.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
Are you looking at new only or used as well? What are your goals for the car? Just dropping and some better handling? Or are you pure track/performance driven? Does your $1,500 budget include camber kits and install if you aren't doing it yourself?

Search more about camber kits, you will need front and rears. SPL/SPC are good for front, SPC/Ichiba for the rear with toe bolts. Sways are also a great upgrade.

Install is fairly easy if you have the tools and have a very basic mechanical ability, the DIY around here are a great resource.
Seeing how its suspension it seems new is a better idea.. And the goal for my car is basically a good drop to give it a great look, I want the tires and wheels to be tucked really nice and might add some spacers to give them a little poke since the wheels are not the ideal offsets and size I am looking for(but they are a great look and price). Ideally the suspension work is for the drop and the added performance, Ive never tracked my car but occasional canyon runs are fun! I drive fast and hard so less roll and all is a plus!
The $1,500 is ideally for all the suspension work at this point, but I am going to add sways and possibly struts after I save some money. With the wheels, new tires, coils and other work I need done to my car I am looking at spending at least $4k right now so I am trying to budget everything.

I will consider install myself, though id prefer to leave it in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 AM
I was also under the impression I would only need a rear camber kit, what makes the difference in needing just rear or both front and rear camber kits???

And another question I have is everyone on the forum talks about coil over tension or spring tension and compression rate. What is that all about?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Those wheels will not fit your car. You need a wheel with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Raderworks one piece are only made in 5x110/112/120

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by G305
Seeing how its suspension it seems new is a better idea.. And the goal for my car is basically a good drop to give it a great look, I want the tires and wheels to be tucked really nice and might add some spacers to give them a little poke since the wheels are not the ideal offsets and size I am looking for(but they are a great look and price). Ideally the suspension work is for the drop and the added performance, Ive never tracked my car but occasional canyon runs are fun! I drive fast and hard so less roll and all is a plus!
The $1,500 is ideally for all the suspension work at this point, but I am going to add sways and possibly struts after I save some money. With the wheels, new tires, coils and other work I need done to my car I am looking at spending at least $4k right now so I am trying to budget everything.

I will consider install myself, though id prefer to leave it in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.
Based off this you are likely going to want to get something like function form II's or stance's to make sure you can get low enough.

And you definitely will need front and rear camber kits, especially since you are planning on going pretty low and poking which will require fine camber adjustment. You almost certainly won't be able to get back in specs meaning your tires will wear unevenly and not last nearly as long as they would if you were in spec.

And really for $1,500 including front and rear camber kits and installs you don't really have the budget for any setup. Even function forms sell for ~$900 new and stances are more around the $1.1k mark, add in about ~$300-400+ for camber kits, and probably a few hundred more if you are getting it install by a shop and you are well over budget.

edit: and oh you need to research more about coilovers if you are planning on buying a set and then buying struts...

Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
Those wheels will not fit your car. You need a wheel with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Raderworks one piece are only made in 5x110/112/120
I have called the company and they do make this wheel in the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. Thank you though, I appreciate it!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
Based off this you are likely going to want to get something like function form II's or stance's to make sure you can get low enough.

And you definitely will need front and rear camber kits, especially since you are planning on going pretty low and poking which will require fine camber adjustment. You almost certainly won't be able to get back in specs meaning your tires will wear unevenly and not last nearly as long as they would if you were in spec.

And really for $1,500 including front and rear camber kits and installs you don't really have the budget for any setup. Even function forms sell for ~$900 new and stances are more around the $1.1k mark, add in about ~$300-400+ for camber kits, and probably a few hundred more if you are getting it install by a shop and you are well over budget.

edit: and oh you need to research more about coilovers if you are planning on buying a set and then buying struts...
My good friends dad and uncle each own a local shop near me that can help me with a good and cheap install... I was hoping for the parts them selves to come out around $1500, I know in the end I will spend more but as long as its done right I dont mind. Im just trying to keep budget and be as frugal and smart as I can.

The stance coils are really what I am leaning towards, but I don't know much about the function form type II, I noticed there price was a little low so I though I should avoid those. Are the FF type II good quality coils? And what about the stance? Also with the stance there is the + and the +pro and I believe the pros come with helper springs and that is the only difference.. Are the helper springs needed or the regular + coils good enough?

Im going to research more about camber kits and all. And I didn't mean to add struts into that little list, I was planning on doing just springs, sways and struts before but wound up deciding to get coils instead.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM
and what about the kw variant one coils, are those good for drop? I know they are great coils but im just not sure if they are what i am looking for...