Premature tire wear on 03 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Premature tire wear on 03 Coupe?

This is killing me, my car is going thru tires. I had a 4wheel alignment done about a year ago and placed new rear tires on it less than a month after. After 10k miles, they are nearly bald and one has cords showing thru it.

My car is adult driven and most miles are highway driven. I have looked the car over inside and out and can find no evidence of major body damage or structural misalignment. Am running 18" 350Z aluminum wheels on it and they spin true.

I have had the car for 2-3 years and it continues to wear tires out quickly. Where can I get the best alignment and/or check to make sure all 4 wheels are where they need to be. Dealership?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by miketyler
This is killing me, my car is going thru tires. I had a 4wheel alignment done about a year ago and placed new rear tires on it less than a month after. After 10k miles, they are nearly bald and one has cords showing thru it.

My car is adult driven and most miles are highway driven. I have looked the car over inside and out and can find no evidence of major body damage or structural misalignment. Am running 18" 350Z aluminum wheels on it and they spin true.

I have had the car for 2-3 years and it continues to wear tires out quickly. Where can I get the best alignment and/or check to make sure all 4 wheels are where they need to be. Dealership?
All the G35 Coupes are known for premature tire wear. There is not much you can do other than find the cheapest tires available. Make sure you are using the correct size rims and tires and of course if your suspension is not stock that will aggravate the wear. If you do a search, there are a Zillion posts on this subject. Most of the distorted geometry problems of the front ends are corrected in the G37.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Am kick starting this thread. I may not have been clear on this previous. I am going thru a set of rear tires nearly with every oil change (5kmiles). And no, am not lead foot. The car is my daily driver and I put about 45 miles on it daily which is mostly highway. Front tire wear is perfect. The issue is only with the rears.

Car has all stock suspension, but am running the 5 spoke 350Z 18" wheels. I am running 265-40-18's in the rear and the wear is even all the way across the tread surface on both tires. I have had the alignment checked twice.

There are some signs of under carriage damage from previous owner. The last time it was on the rack I noticed the swing links on each side of the differential were slightly bent like something may have been sticking up in the road and the car was driven over it. I believe they are supposed to be straight. I will get pics. Appreciate any ideas on thsi one. Am about ready to sell the car if I cant get this rear tire wear probem resolved.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
i have driven about 30k on my tires and i run them hard almost everyday and they still have plenty of life left in them

Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Yes, its killing me. I have a 2007 Tacoma truck that I bought new. It just rolled over 30k miles and still has the original tires on it with PLENTY of tread left. I have GOT to get this issue fixed on the G.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First off, I believe the stock tire size was 245/45/18 in the rear? When I was on my stock rims I was having an issue with premature tirewear in the rear also. I think most people do have this problem. To remedy it, you'll probably need a camber kit. Yes, I know this sucks and shouldn't be the case with stock suspension. But hey a camber kit and a new alignment will cost less than a set of tires. Once you've got it all setup, your tires should last the appropriate length of time.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
You should try getting the tires on first THEN get an alignment, make sure your toe is in spec. That's what causes tire wear.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I considered that, but with as many guys that are running wider than spec in the rear I would have thought this would not be a contributing factor. I have not owned a car previous that did. But the G35 is unique.
That has been how I have done it in the past. New tires installed, then driven directly over to align. I guess I need to get new tires (again) and take to Infiniti dealership to align. Maybe I can get a real alignment done then and get to the heart of this issue.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
A wider tire in the rear is not the problem at all. The bent arms are the problem. A bent arm will change the geometry and can throw it off badly.

You should just buy a rear camber kit with toe bolts. Replace any other bent arm. That's clearly your issue.

The following users liked this post:
miketyler (02-05-2012)
Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Can you link me to this camber kit you speak of?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 PM
went out and snapped a pic, somehow they look even more bent than I remembered. The lowest links are the ones I am talking about. They are supposed to be straight, right?

Attached Thumbnails Premature tire wear on 03 Coupe?-img_8134.jpg   Premature tire wear on 03 Coupe?-img_8135.jpg  
Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Anyone?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
can you snap a pic of the tire wear itself?

are you wearing the inside, the outside, evenly across, cupping, etc ??

also, what brand of tires and model of tire?

are you lowered or are you stock height?

Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Tire wear is even across the tread. I have Potenza 265/40-18's on the rear now and am running the 350Z 5 spoke wheels at all stock ride height.

I need to determine if these links are bent. They sure look bent to me.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Those are definitely normal and not bent from an impact.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Premature tire wear on 03 Coupe?