Questions about Air Ride suspension ask here

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Questions about Air Ride suspension ask here

PLEASE STOP SENDING ME PRIVATE MESSAGES ABOUT QUESTIONS. THE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO ASK THEM IN HERE. THAT WAY EVERYONE CAN SEE THE ANSWER AND MAYBE IT WILL HELP MORE THAT JUST YOU

ok guys so i see a lot of people are getting interested in air suspension lately. i also see that a lot of people have no idea what the kit actually is or how it works. and that is why i am here. if anyone has any questions or needs help with anything you can ask anything about air ride and i will most likely know the answer. and if i dont i can make a phone call and find the answer out pretty much instantly. so ask away...

FAQ

how do i get an alignment?

set your car to its most common ride height and get alignment at that height.

what is the lifespan of bags?

depending on where you live bags can last very long. if you live somewhere where it is VERY hot, they might not last AS long due to getting heat cracks but even with that they will last atleast a year as long as they are not rubbing on anything which on our cars they should not be.

do i HAVE to run 8 valves?

no. you can run 4 valves but it will limit you to the functionality of them. with 8 valves you can control front corners individually, back corners individiually, both fronts, both rears, whole car, left side and and right side...with 4 valves you can ONLY controll both fronts, both rears, and whole car. if you are not running sway bars and your valves are in the trunk instead of close to the bags you will have minor swaying issues.

should i use compression fittings or ptc (push to connect) fittings?

i HIGHLY recommend ptc fittings. they are a lot easier to use. a lot of times when people try and use compression fittings the have leaks. also if you have to take something apart and are using compression fittings you might as well replace the fitting. which is going to get expensive.

what size valves/airline should i run?

for a car i would not run anything above 3/8 inch valves and airline. it would be better to run 1/4 inch. the smaller the valves/airline the slower the car will lift/drop.

what size airline should i run if using mechanical guages?

run 5/32 airline. the smaller the airline for the guages the better. not only will it be easier to run that small of an airline into the cockpit of the car but also the smaller the airline you are using for them the less free standing air you will have in them to give the bags a floating/fluctuating feeling(bad)

what kind of gauges are the most accurate? mechanical or digital?

mechanical gauges are defianatly more accurate. they do not look as good but you can still get some nice ones. digital guages are accurate on being consistant. ie. it might read that you have 50psi in a bag, but you probably only have 40. but it will consistantly say 50psi when there is only 40.

will air ride parts be ok in the freezing winters?

yes. the only thing that is affected would be the airline and valves freezing. there is a simple fix to that though. there is a product that you can buy from truck (big rig) shops that is an air tank antifreeze. big rigs use them in there air tanks that they use to control there brake systems. if you put some of this in your air tank in the winter time you will be fine.

Last edited by kennymo; 02-20-2012 at 01:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Joshua Teigen (07-16-2013)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
ok this is what i would use if i was you guys. these parts obviously not your only option.

compressor - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...cat=429&page=1

tank - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...cat=327&page=1

airline(60 feet would be a good amount) - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...&cat=42&page=1

valves - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...cat=416&page=1

switch box - (7 switch) - http://avsontheweb.com/home.php?cat=116
(9 switch) - http://avsontheweb.com/home.php?cat=115

rear bags - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...cat=427&page=1

cups so the rear bags can be mounted - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...&cat=35&page=1

pressure switch - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...&cat=26&page=1

UPDATED WITH FRONT SETUP

front bags - you will need to order 2 of these and this is the most expensive part - http://avsontheweb.com/product.php?p...cat=476&page=1

Last edited by kennymo; 04-01-2011 at 11:03 PM.
vipster (02-17-2014)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
I may have a few questions for you soon

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
So Kenny, furthering our conversation from the Cup Kit thread, what are you suggestions for a cup kit style setup. This type of kit will allow you to roll around slammed on coilovers and only raise your car if you need to go into a driveway, etc..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
When on bags, will my alignment be forever fkd?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha nice, we needed one of these. I would ask you questions now but I'm already talking to you on AIM. Vouch for this guy, I hit him up while I'm under my car when I have questions, he usually responds right away haha.

@ *****, what I was planning to do was set my bags at a certain PSI and just get my alignment set at that psi. Everytime I go drive, put it at that psi. Correct me if I'm wrong kenny lmao. I just got my kit so I'm not too savvy.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
How sAfe is air ride for a daily driven car? I drive my car about 100 miles a day..would this bring me any issues?

mahendra (03-15-2022)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
So Kenny, furthering our conversation from the Cup Kit thread, what are you suggestions for a cup kit style setup. This type of kit will allow you to roll around slammed on coilovers and only raise your car if you need to go into a driveway, etc..
cups kits are used for 1 thing. and that is to get an already slammed car over a speed bump or into a driveway. and that is it. you CAN NOT drive with the cups inflated for to long. it will cause the cups to leak and well then you are back down to just as low as you were without the cup kit.

normal air ride on the other hand can lay your car all the way on the ground or lift it up higher than it was when it was stock. and it can be anywhere inbetween those 2 heights. you can drive with the car fully inflated with zero problems other than you will look goofy. or you can drive with it as low as you want to.

MPG35fiend (04-29-2013)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM
ill Sedan

Originally Posted by kennymo
cups kits are used for 1 thing. and that is to get an already slammed car over a speed bump or into a driveway. and that is it. you CAN NOT drive with the cups inflated for to long. it will cause the cups to leak and well then you are back down to just as low as you were without the cup kit.

normal air ride on the other hand can lay your car all the way on the ground or lift it up higher than it was when it was stock. and it can be anywhere inbetween those 2 heights. you can drive with the car fully inflated with zero problems other than you will look goofy. or you can drive with it as low as you want to.
Yes Kenny I know, that is what my post said. I thought you had some info on cup kit style kits for much cheaper than what Platinum VIP was offering.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by *****-ah-sore
When on bags, will my alignment be forever fkd?

when on bags. you do just what Choleaoum said. you will need to pick what you most common ride height is and go to the alignment shop and get the alignments. unless you have magical powers you are NEVER going to get the car at the EXACT same height ever again but you will be able to get it close enough to save your tires.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Yes Kenny I know, that is what my post said. I thought you had some info on cup kit style kits for much cheaper than what Platinum VIP was offering.
oh oh oh. no what i was saying in the other thread is that the kit i can put together is a lot cheaper. but its not a cup kit. its a regular air ride kit thats a lot cheaper but with the same/better parts than what is offered on this forum and many others. the link (which i will go pull and put in this thread) that sdgenius posted in the other thread is a great sub for the platinum VIP kit.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by JON-UGH-10
How sAfe is air ride for a daily driven car? I drive my car about 100 miles a day..would this bring me any issues?
they can be very safe and very dangerous depending on the driver. if you are the kind of person that is going to install the kit and never look at it again. it can be dangerous. the bags can get weather damaged and start to crack, same with the air line. if you can do something as simple as do a check every once in a while just to make sure everything still looks good. then you should have no problems. and bags arent going to get sun dried in a week or couple months. it will take a lot longer than that.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
ill Sedan

Originally Posted by kennymo
oh oh oh. no what i was saying in the other thread is that the kit i can put together is a lot cheaper. but its not a cup kit. its a regular air ride kit thats a lot cheaper but with the same/better parts than what is offered on this forum and many others. the link (which i will go pull and put in this thread) that sdgenius posted in the other thread is a great sub for the platinum VIP kit.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 297 Likes on 242 Posts
Thanks. Whats the life span for bags

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
post up the info on the cheap air ride setup.

ive been putting together a parts list for my car alrready. i'd like to compare it to your car and see if there is something i've missed or something i should upgrade

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average.

Quick Reply: Questions about Air Ride suspension ask here