Harsh ride from coils

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Harsh ride from coils

Hey everyone I just installed some coilovers on my car.. (NON TRUE)

I just have a question about how it rides. The car is really bouncy... not bouncy as in smooth lincoln town car bounce.. but bouncy like a go kart bounce! It harsh and it hurts my back.. I dont know what is causing it bc it wasnt like that when it was first installed and lowered.. but since the car was too low for my taste, I raised it up from the shocks and left the damper (10clicks out of 18clicks) and preload on the springs all the same as it was when I first installed it on the car and lowered. Didnt mess with it when I had it first installed. But since I raised it, the car rides all stiff and harsh..

What should I do? Mess with the preload or the damper?

Last edited by Algy; 08-12-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The dampness is probably what you want to adjust. My back used to hurt too but I eventually got used to the ride and doesn't bother me anymore.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:16 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
You can change your dampners, but what are your spring rates? That is going to be the deciding factor.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
The dampness is probably what you want to adjust. My back used to hurt too but I eventually got used to the ride and doesn't bother me anymore.
Why would the height adjusting cause the harshness? I dont understand? I left the preload and damping all the same as it was right when I first installed it too low. Raising it up made it harsh... when it was low, it felt smooth like stock.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
You can change your dampners, but what are your spring rates? That is going to be the deciding factor.
i believe it 10k for the front and 7k for the rear.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Algy
Hey everyone I just installed some coilovers on my car.. (NON TRUE)

I just have a question about how it rides. The car is really bouncy... not bouncy as in smooth lincoln town car bounce.. but bouncy like a go kart bounce! It harsh and it hurts my back.. I dont know what is causing it bc it wasnt like that when it was first installed and lowered.. but since the car was too low for my taste, I raised it up from the shocks and left the damper (10clicks out of 18clicks) and preload on the springs all the same as it was when I first installed it on the car and lowered. Didnt mess with it when I had it first installed. But since I raised it, the car rides all stiff and harsh..

What should I do? Mess with the preload or the damper?
If your coils are non-true in the rear, then you should set your ride height with the springs first. Then set your shock height, which will effect how much preload is on the springs.

You might try this first before adjusting the dampening setting.

Last edited by MikeDG; 08-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Oh okay. Yeah the fronts ride fine. Also would turning the dampening to the right make it more harsh or more smooth?

The following users liked this post:
RedG (11-25-2012)

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2011, 08:03 PM
Btw these coils are MDUs

Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10k 7k wow!!! My new set up is going to b 16k 8k.... I'm going to b running low tho. My oold coils I'm going to b selling are stance lx and my ride was perfect either way I set them... I never had the issue w/it being to harsh. I would do what dude said tho set the rear ride height first.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
with the MDU's to the right is soft and to the left is stiffer..and i dont see how changing height from shock body caused this but i have these and had to convert them to true style coilover in the rear cause i was having the "go kart bounciness' in the rear and i didnt change the damper or height..just made them true style with same dampening and bam..night and day!! no more bounce..smooth sailing even with a 3 inch drop! im on like 8 rear and 6 or 7 front and im satisfied..TRUE style is the way to go with the MDU's from most peoples opinions with these..unless you want your ride SLAMMED then you have to go oem style

Old 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by chatt350gt
with the MDU's to the right is soft and to the left is stiffer..and i dont see how changing height from shock body caused this but i have these and had to convert them to true style coilover in the rear cause i was having the "go kart bounciness' in the rear and i didnt change the damper or height..just made them true style with same dampening and bam..night and day!! no more bounce..smooth sailing even with a 3 inch drop! im on like 8 rear and 6 or 7 front and im satisfied..TRUE style is the way to go with the MDU's from most peoples opinions with these..unless you want your ride SLAMMED then you have to go oem style
Left is stiffer?!?! WTH I totally just effed up bc i put all the rears to the left. bc i thought that was the softer side -_-"

i thought going true makes it lower? so non true is less lower.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by MikeDG
If your coils are non-true in the rear, then you should set your ride height with the springs first. Then set your shock height, which will effect how much preload is on the springs.

You might try this first before adjusting the dampening setting.
BTW i need to know how about going to do this??

Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
from what ive seen most coilovers get stiffer to the right and softer to the left but the MDUs are opposite..18 right clicks is full soft...18 left clicks is full stiff..i have my fronts like 11 or 12 clicks to the right and rears 10 clicks to the right and ride is close to stock.

and going true doesnt get you as low as OEM style because the shock can only be compressed so much before your riding on springs...if you twist the shock to make it shorter and it will eventually stop where as in OEM style you can keep going due to your springs arent combined with the shock..

Old 08-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Algy
BTW i need to know how about going to do this??
Search setting preload or droop, usually it is set your spring height and then jack it up ~10mm and then adjust the shock to that height to bolt up.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
Search setting preload or droop, usually it is set your spring height and then jack it up ~10mm and then adjust the shock to that height to bolt up.
Im sorry but I am not following.. So I want to adjust my preload spring to my ideal height correct? Then I want to adjust the shock body to that height?

If I adjust up or down (shock body) doesnt that change the height of the car also?

What would be the ideal height of the shock body to the preload? I guess what Im trying to say is how would I know if the shock body is matched up with the preload?

I am such a noob to this..