replace caliper?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace caliper?

So I've been having issues with what I think is a stuck caliper. I can hear and feel the pad getting stuck but it always cones loose again. After driving I can smell a burning smell from that tire only and a popping noise. I already pulled the brakes off and cleaned an relubed everything. I do need to replacing the brakes all around soon. My question is should I also do that caliper or leave it and try with new brakes. Thanks

Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 AM
drinkanother1,

I'm having an issue with my rear passenger caliper. I'm curious to find out if you fixed the caliper on your car. Was it a rear caliper as well?

Here's the details with mine:

I replaced the pads and had the rotors turned back in October. Everything went well (the front torque member bolts were a pain to deal with though) and the brakes were smooth until last week. I believe I failed to recognize the symptons of a stuck caliper and I drove to work and back for about a week. This caused the rotor to warp and compromise the quaility of the pads due to excessive heat.

Anyways, I decided to take my car into a shop for the repair and after $290 (new rotor, pads, labor), I got it back today. However, I still noticed there is heat build up on that rotor and there is no heat on the other rotors after my commute to work of 12 miles. I'm going to take it back into the shop today to see what's going on.

A friend of mine mentioned that it could be the rubber brake line that is not letting the caliper release, and this is likely the intial cause of the caliper failing in the first place. Did you end up replacing the rubber brake line?

Sorry for writing so much, I guess I'm just venting my frustrations of not having this issue fixed.

- Brad

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
No all I replaced was the caliper which seemed to solve my problem. One thing I did notice on the replacement was when I had two rubber tipped caliper pins in after replacement it caused my caliper to stick again. That's what came with the new one. When I switched it to the top and a regular pin on thr bottom it worked fine. For the regular pin I just used the old one.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by drinknother1
No all I replaced was the caliper which seemed to solve my problem. One thing I did notice on the replacement was when I had two rubber tipped caliper pins in after replacement it caused my caliper to stick again. That's what came with the new one. When I switched it to the top and a regular pin on thr bottom it worked fine. For the regular pin I just used the old one.
Well the shop is ordering the rubber flex hose and they'll put it on tomorrow. He said there is a 70 degree heat difference between this rotor and the other three after a drive so there's clearly still an issue.

If the other side goes out, I'm going to learn how to bleed brakes and do the repair myself. Uggh, I guess this is why everybody has a love/hate relationship with this car.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:31 AM
Well everything's all fixed. I don't think replacing the flex hose did anything. I believe the new rotor/pads were just breaking in after the intial replacement and that was the source of the heat difference.

Back to lovin her again, now if only summer would get here sooner. . .