EBC Rotors longevity review.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:18 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
EBC Rotors longevity review.

This is a longevity review for EBC rotors.
When I was replacing my StopTech rotors I noticed big difference between my old StopTech and new EBC rotors. So I decided to keep close eye on how they will perform in the long run.

This is a picture of the rotors I installed along with Akebono pads.

Name:  IMGP1986.jpg
Views: 7745
Size:  208.0 KB

The biggest difference that was immediately noticeable is that EBC rotors have much bigger venting slot and much thinner walls.

You can see it in following picture

Name:  EBC.jpg
Views: 7893
Size:  78.6 KB

Also, EBC rotors have equal thickness walls, StopTech outside wall is thicker that the opposite wall. I don't know if its a result of my use of the rotors that caused one wall to be eaten away by pads more than the other, or if it's just how they were designed.

StopTech rotors on the right have been used for over 100k miles and been turned 3 times. Yet their walls remain to be thicker than brand new EBC rotors on the left.
Both of the rotor sets are slotted. Slots on StopTech rotors are much deeper compared to brand new EBC rotors, even after being turned 3 times.
So I'm gong to use StopTech as a base line to compare life of EBC rotors since our OEM rotors are absolute **** and made of paper mache.
Pads I ran with StopTech rotors were 06 and up OEM pads.
With EBC I'm running Akebono pads.

Let the braking begin.

UPDATE 7/17/2012

I'm very impressed with the finish on these rotors, It has been 3 months and it's as good as new. As far as I remember, my previously installed StopTech rotors were rusty as fvck by now and their entire life after that.

UPDATE 04/01/13

So it has been almost a year since I had these rotors.
Finish holding up incredibly well. No rust in places where it should not be. Rotors perform well so far no hot spots or vibration.

Name:  IMG_20130401_155148_zpse0a5a656.jpg
Views: 9268
Size:  119.4 KB

UPDATE 05/26/2014
Currently there is 167k miles on the clock, rotors were put in roughly 44k back.
I'm happy to report that they held up quite well. So far on the same pads and I have not turned the rotors yet. I think the vibration I was getting was either bad shocks or bushings. Currently I'm not getting any vibration from the rotors, I recently replaced shocks in all 4 corners, bushings are not in the best shape, will need to replace those soon too. So I'm not sure what to blame previous vibration on, maybe even unbalanced wheel. Finish is holding up nicely, no rust in places where it should not be.
Overall quite happy with the rotors.

UPDATE12/11/2014
Well I wanted to do my next update when I turn the rotors for the first time and swap for the new pads, but it is not happening. I am truly impressed with this here set up.
About a month ago I was changing suspension bushings and doing some other work to suspension and took a closer look at rotors and pads. My pads have plenty of meat still left on the bone. I'd say at least half. My rotors are in excellent condition. Wear out groove is minimal, hardly noticeable. Considering that is has been over 50k for these rotors and pads I am very impressed with the way they perform. My previous set up lasted little over 100k and been turned three times in it's lifetime. I'm nearing a half of a lifetime of a previous set up on this setup and everything is still original and performs quite well.
I believe this is a best rotor/pad set up I ever had on a car.
Next update when I'm swapping pads or something major happens to the brakes.

UPDATE 05/23/2015
65K Later I finally turned (machined) the rotors. One of the front ones was a little more warped than the other so it took more passes to even it out than the other one did. Finish on the rotor performs well as you can see on the pictures. Even after machining the rotors I still have enough depth in the slots. Originally I was worried that they are not deep enough and will not remain sufficient slots after rotors are turned.
Pads preform equally well. After 65k there is still 50% of pad material remains. On one side at the front pad had made a small groove in the rotor. I think that there was just a hard piece of material that instead of wearing out, wore out the rotor. So I sanded all the pads down to flatten even them out so the brake with full surface on the newly machined rotors.

UPDATE 08/06/2017
As of right now rotors been on the car for over 100k. Current millage is 220k+ , rotors been put on at 123k.
I do have a warp/hot sports on the front rotors that require another turn. We'll see if the rotors are thick enough to handle another one.

UPDATE 8/26/18
Turned the rotors for the second time. Plenty of material left on them. Installed new Akebono pads
Finish on the rotors still holds up very impressive

​​​​

Last edited by JOKER; 08-26-2018 at 01:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JOKER:
cydrive (05-27-2015), Invalid_User (04-06-2012), Wrathernaut (08-18-2017)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same rotors I installed. But with Hawk HPS pads. Biggest issue I am having is when it rains it takes a few scary seconds for the brakes to dry and catch. OEM's did not have this issue. Not sure if it is the pads or the rotors or a combo of both. Other than that no issues.

Be interesting to see what your outcome is.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
it's your pads. Hawk pads are known for bad cold braking and even worse wet braking.

The following users liked this post:
ShadowDrifter (07-14-2014)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Is it a certain type of hawk pad that does this or all?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by UMAD?
Is it a certain type of hawk pad that does this or all?
I don't have any experience with Hawk pads. I never used them. From what I read they all have bad initial bite due to the fact that they are somewhat a performance pads and require higher temperature to provide adequate braking.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 AM
I realize it's only been a few weeks but can you give an update?
I'm due for my first set of brakes and I an looking at the EBC's & Akebono's set up on my Sport.

EBC's are less than R1 premiums so was leaning that way.
(I have R1 basics & Akebono's on my Tahoe with no complaints after 35k ..... Not equal performance comparison, just saying.....

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
so far I'm happy with the set up.

pads do have a slightly weak initial (cold) bite, but they warm up quick and provide adequate braking.

So far no noise, vibration or excessive dust.

No complaints.

I got my rotors from AutoBarn.net
They have $10 off any order of $80 or more going on right now. So I split my purchase in $80 orders to maximize my discount.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
is there a reason why u didn't go with ebc pads?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:48 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by racercris15
is there a reason why u didn't go with ebc pads?
I had Akebono pads before and quite liked them. No noise, no dust and out of all performance pads they have the best cold bite (from what I read).
I did not like the reviews I read on EBC pads, they seemed similar to HAWK pads, noisy and incredibly weak cold and wet bite. So they did not suite my driving habits and price on Akebono was much more attractive.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did you like the stoptech rotor /oem pad setup? this is what im am considering going which since i need new rotors and pads. i keep reading no aftermarket pad bites like OEM. (especially cold)

Any idea what the OEM pads go for? where i could even order them from besides the stealer?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by jrockstarr
how did you like the stoptech rotor /oem pad setup? this is what im am considering going which since i need new rotors and pads. i keep reading no aftermarket pad bites like OEM. (especially cold)

Any idea what the OEM pads go for? where i could even order them from besides the stealer?
In 06 Infiniti came out with new pads that were less dusty I think. So when I was putting on StopTechs I went with those pads and not the ones that were on my car. They were still OEM but upgraded version. It worked fine, good bite, good cold bite, no excessive dust.

There are many members here that sell OEM parts. I believe I bought mine from Riverside Infiniti that is represented here by few members. They also have an online parts department and they sell on ebay as well. Their prices are reasonable.
Or just search on Ebay for OEM pads.

jrockstarr (05-14-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Wow, 100k! That should be a new record. My stock brakes barely lasted 30k and that was before any spirited driving nor track days. Are you planning on turning them as well when the time comes? Since they are slotted I'm not sure if you can? I just installed my slotted/dimpled rotors (from brakeperformance.com) and hope they last as long as your stoptech's did.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
my stock rotors only laster 20k. 100k were StopTech rotors and I turned them 3 times (they were slotted)

Last edited by JOKER; 05-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
updated!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well just to chime in...

I've had my original rotors now for 115K miles on my G. I've replaced pads about 3 times and never turned the rotors. Why? Because I haven't had to. I first used oem pads the first 2 times. Then went with the stoptech street performance pads based on the reviews I read. Well I have hated them since I put them on, I get squeaks from time to time. They dust a lot and the stopping power was no better than oem.

So I am going to go with oem rotors and brakes because its proven to me to be the best application for my daily driving.

Terry_G35 (10-08-2015)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EBC Rotors longevity review.