g35 Tein s Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
This....^....is a line of crap we hear way too often here on DRIVER! So you think flipping tires every 8K miles is a good idea? Front tires with correct alignment should last twice that long....30K rather than 16K. With the cost of quality tires you're better off getting the camber kit from day one. Plus, when your alignment is at -1.50+ it's not going to steer like it should and then there's the dreaded ROOOOOAR when the steel belts are about to show thru. There's only one way to lower our rides, camber kits and alignment! Have any doubts, ask the tech doing your alignment how far off OE specs you are. If I'm not at or close to -.50 I'm wasting those $400 each tires....Gary
You can flip your tires more than once. I agree that if your toe is in spec, camber kits may not be necessary. I've run quite a bit of camber for years without much issue and have gotten about 30K out of my Hankook Ventus V12s, and they still have tread on them. I have also flipped them four times.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
You can flip your tires more than once. I agree that if your toe is in spec, camber kits may not be necessary. I've run quite a bit of camber for years without much issue and have gotten about 30K out of my Hankook Ventus V12s, and they still have tread on them. I have also flipped them four times.
I've driven around with lots of camber and have gotten well over 20k without even flipping the tires once.

In contrast, I have just over 30k on the Goodyears on my MDX that I always keep the alignment in spec, and they look like they need to be replaced soon...

Old 07-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by dofu
I've driven around with lots of camber and have gotten well over 20k without even flipping the tires once.

In contrast, I have just over 30k on the Goodyears on my MDX that I always keep the alignment in spec, and they look like they need to be replaced soon...
That's pretty good then if you managed to get that many miles without a single flip. Which tires lasted that long?

Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by VMRWheels
That's pretty good then if you managed to get that many miles without a single flip. Which tires lasted that long?
Believe it or not, RE050A. I've had other tires that seemed to wear much better, but something always happens (a nail that isn't repairable, hit a bump too hard and get that bump on the side, etc...) and I need to change them out.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_ali
Who's this from fb?
no need to ask who I am....

Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The Ultimate Cheap side of G35 DRIVER!

I don't get it, why not do the job right the first time and get what you need to bring your alignment back to OE specs? Are you members that cheap, fliping tires 4 times so both the inside and outside are worn? Do you have any idea how nice it is to drive a car where the tires wear even across? What's holding up your exhaust systems, wire hangers? Most of you started with quality rides, why not attempt to keep it that way?
Gary

Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
I like a little bit of negative camber. It makes the car more responsive during spiritied driving.

Being dropped on Tein S.Techs for the Z, I picked up quite a bit of toe in the front end. It ate up the Kumhos I had. Luckily, they were free.

I've since gotten the car aligned, and am running -1.5* of camber on all four corners. A little bit of camber isn't going to hurt your tires. Some tire brands are actually angling their tread patterns on directional tires now, too, so that you can safely run up to -2.0* of camber without introducing camber wear to the tread.

The Riken Raptors I have on my G's rear wheels are designed like this. They're going on 10k miles, with absolutely no signs of camber wear.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't get it, why not do the job right the first time and get what you need to bring your alignment back to OE specs? Are you members that cheap, fliping tires 4 times so both the inside and outside are worn? Do you have any idea how nice it is to drive a car where the tires wear even across? What's holding up your exhaust systems, wire hangers? Most of you started with quality rides, why not attempt to keep it that way?
Gary
I see your point Gary, but times are tough for a lot of people and some just have other financial priorities.
What business is it of anyone how they spend their money?
Certainly not mine.
Flipping tires isn't that big of a deal. If they got the time.... so be it.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Gary

that cheap?? lol Flipping tires isnt that big of a deal buddy, some people rotate their tires, we flip them. Unless you are dropped over 2 inches, SPL camber kits are a complete waste of money. Just because YOU wasted that much on camber kits running only H Techs springs doesn't mean you have to INSULT everyone that doesn't do the same as you, Its a preference so get over it.

And regarding how nice you think it is with having tires that wear evenly.
Our cars are handling machines that FROM THE FACTORY do not wear tires evenly.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Gary
Some people don't want to run OE spec, simple as that. I didn't pay a cent to flip my tires so I'm not complaining haha.

A little bit of camber is not going to hurt anybody. Camber gets a bad rap all the time online when it's not even that bad.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by CLEANBS
And regarding how nice you think it is with having tires that wear evenly.
Our cars are handling machines that FROM THE FACTORY do not wear tires evenly.
Handling machines...? Eh...maybe.

Sport luxury cars that handle decently, with semi-aggressive factory alignment specs? More like it.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett

Sport luxury cars that handle decently, with semi-aggressive factory alignment specs? More like it.
agreed, but with some suspension mods I standby with handling machines

Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Of all the cars I've driven, my favorite, in terms of cornering, was the IS300. That car, even though it wasn't exactly quick, was a blast through the corners.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett

Technically, if you think about it, these cars are 350Zs with a bit more luxury. This car is barely more luxurious than a fully loaded Accord with more class and better performance... almost like a TL, only driving the TL feels like driving a tin can around while the G feels more in a way like a muscle car (without the major muscle).

Old 07-20-2012, 03:10 PM
It is a 350z in the aspect that it shares the drive train and suspenion. But outside of that, not much else is the same.

The longer wheelbase of the coupe makes it easier to control through corners than the Z is (it's more point-and-shoot, if you want to look at it that way), but also gives it a considerably higher amount of understeer.

The TL, while it's a luxury car, feels empty. I agree with the tin can statement. The door has that hollow sound when you slam it shut. As opposed to the nice, sold-sounding thud you get when you close the door of the G.