Worn out Rotors to the max

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn out Rotors to the max

Hi guys,

ok this clearly shouldnt have happened. I noticed that there is a terrible noise coming from the rear, which I should have noticed earlier (I was listening to loud music all the way along), or it shouldnt have even gotten to this point. It probably started today or yesterday.

My rear passenger rotor is worn out. I have a picture attached.

I understand that I need to replace it asap, and am assuming that it cannot be resurfaced. I was short on money and have been lagging on this. I am planning to replace all of them, and hope that there is no damage to the brake pads (unless I messed the rear passenger up because of the worn rotors).

I am planning to go to Firestone tomorrow (or should I go to a cheaper car shop)? The reason why I am going there is because they have this offer for $15 to get the important parts of the car checked out. And while there, I want new rotors.
Do you guys have suggestions on that? I am fine with OEM rotors. I currently have OEM rotors and pads.
I dont know anything about the brake system so please let me know what I have to know, if I should buy it somewhere else than Firestone (do they have those rotors for sure??) and everything else. I know I shouldnt have waited til now.
I dont know how bad this situation is, so please tell me what I should do from this point. Let me know if you need more information

Thanks!!!

04 G35 Coupe

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n76mns1x9w...008_164420.jpg

Last edited by BabySkyline; 10-08-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Don't go to firestone. They changed the oil on my moms 02 Sequoia a few years back, but failed to replace the oil. The motor blew on the way home, and they were liable for a brand new OEM replacement at the Toyota dealership.

It looks like you have a siezed caliper. Have it diagnosed, but you will need a new rotors and pads, and most likely a new/used caliper. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
+1 dont go to firestone i get my alignments from them and they stripped both of my rear toe bolts.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try to go to a local mom and pop shop that you trust... search for good ones here in your regional section.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the answers! I will check out 1-2 local shops. What is the approximate pricing that I can expect? Can I also expect that they have parts on the spot?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BabySkyline
Thanks for the answers! I will check out 1-2 local shops. What is the approximate pricing that I can expect? Can I also expect that they have parts on the spot?
It will probably depend on your location. Where are you located?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the message. I live in Socal. Are new brakes and rotors necessary in any case? And calipers?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Calipers are supposed to last a very long time and in some cases are maintanece free for well over 100k. But in your case, it ooks like something is wrong with it. You will need a new rotors and pads for that corner at the absolute penny pinching minimum. However, it is highly recommended to replace all 4 sets of pads and rotors. With the condition of the rotors in that picture, the other are probably not far behind. If you are trying to save some cash, keep and eye out in the market place for used rotors, and have those resurfaced at Autozone or O'Reillys. There atr some really great prices for new rotors from some of our vendors too. You do what your budget allows.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM
How are brake parts from this site? Should I buy it from here, or somewhere else with similar prices?
http://www.g35parts.com/Infiniti-G35...arts-s/107.htm

thanks guys, appreciate it

Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by hcag2
try to go to a local mom and pop shop that you trust... search for good ones here in your regional section.
Agreed. Yelp! is your friend as well. That's how I found the alignment shop I go to.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
So I went to a shop (and paid a lil bit more than I probably should: 230 for resurfaced rotors, posi quiet ceramic breaks and labor, all in the rear) and there is still this creaking noise. the people from the shop say it is more like rubbing. but the shop owner agreed to take a look at it for no charge first thing in the morning. What could it be? I said that I suspect a seized caliber but he said that that it's probably not it. could it be that i need new rotors alltogether?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I got the car back, and it got resurfaced again ..... (didnt pay for it). Same problem. Quiet noise (rubbing or creaking) but i am not touching my brakes. what could it be? Should I drop off my car there again? I don't like it

Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is the mark in the picture continuous around the entire rotor? if not, the hub could be wobbly. other than that, the brake technician should be able to look down over the caliper and see if any part of the caliper is making contact with the rotor (besides the pad). Does the noise occur only when you step on the brakes or when crusing at speed?

Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 AM
It is all the way. I believe it is the caliper also, I cant explain how it makes noise (even though it's quiet) when I am cruising. I am scared to wear out my rotors again, as I would have to buy new ones if they wear out prematurely again

Old 10-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I drove it around for a bit. It still makes this quiet noise, and it looks like that it is wearing out at the same spot like before but I cant tell for sure. What I can do?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Worn out Rotors to the max