NO BRAKES - No brake pedal compression - at all.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
NO BRAKES - No brake pedal compression - at all.

Hey guys..
I am hoping someone around here and went through this or knows about this.

I unhooked all my calipers on Friday since I wanted to paint them and was putting in speed bleeders and new pads on the front anyway.

So I unhooked all the calipers. Today I went to put the calipers back on and first thing I noticed was on the front calipers for the 2004 coupe, standard brakes, one front caliper is marked R and one front caliper is marked L. Is it safe to assume that L goes on the drivers side, R goes on the passenger side?

I put the calipers on the front, I hooked up the brake lines to the place in the drawing, it looks like a copper washer going on and the bolt goes into the side of the caliper into just a hole. The place the arrow points to. Am I doing that right?

The reason I ask is I can not get brakes at all.. in fact I started the car.. put it in reverse and had zero stopping capability.. I slammed the car into park to try and stop and all you heard was the transmission grind.

I noticed on the front drivers side, when trying to bleed the brake, if I pump the brakes up, the brake fluid is squirting all over the wheel well on the drivers side front. In fact, a quart of brake fluid squirted out like this. So my question is.. am I hooking up the brake line to the correct spot?
I had trouble breaking two of the bolts on the drivers side front to remove the caliper door (not sure of the technical name, but the top bolt you would take out to swing open the top as if you were only doing pads). My neighbor who works on race cars came over and broke the bolts free for me. After seeing brake fluid squirting all over the drivers side front wheel well I am wonder if A) I am putting the brake line in correctly, again, just one copper washer, one bolt with the hole through it and putting it into the side of the caliper where I put the arrow in the picture or B)Did my neighbor somehow cut my brake line when using his breaker bar to get the bolts lose (I doubt it, hes been working on race cars for 25+ years) I even thought it was a defective speed bleeder that wasn't closing since brake fluid seems to be squirting out so I put in the original speed bleeder but still see puddles on the floor of brake fluid and still no compression on the pedal and zero brakes.

Thanks for any help anyone can give. I will be blowing off work tomorrow and out there first thing in the morning to try and get this going again, if anyone has any insight.

Thanks guys...

Chris

Attached Thumbnails NO BRAKES - No brake pedal compression - at all.-brakecaliper.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Fist thing id make sure to do is clean the brake fluid very well, it will eat your paint!

As for the leak, you need to figure out where its leaking from, if its the rubber hose then replace it. If not make sure the bleeder screw (shiny silver screw in the pic above) is snug tight. The hose can only go onto the caliper one way, so unless you are not using the copper ring there should be no leak.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
The bleeder screw I checked, even took the speed bleeder out (thinking it was defective) and put in the original bleeder so I think I eliminated the bleeder being the cause of the leak. Is it safe to assume the brake line somehow got damaged then and needs to be replaced or is there anything else that could cause all this fluid to come out of the drivers side front? (its squirting all over the wheel well so definitely isn't a blown piston).

Last edited by LI-G35Driver; 05-12-2013 at 10:07 PM.