Koni 8241 1216 or 1217 not for 2007 G35 Sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2013 | 02:20 PM
|
Koni Yellow Sports (8241-1216) are NOT compatible with 2007 RWD G35 Sedan? (pics)

I just received some new Koni Yellow shocks (2 front, 2 rear) for my 2007 G35 Sedan with the part numbers as seen at www.koni.com/finder:

G35 Sedan / Coupé
03-06 Sport
Front 8241-1216LSport
Front 8241-1216RSport
Rear 8241-1217Sport

Notice that it says 03-06!

However, the G35 approved seller I got them from said on www.koni-na.com, it shows them as being compatible:

http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search
The same part numbers as above are shown.

Here's the problem.... the OEM stock shocks on my car are the round bushing style, but these new Koni's are the fork style! I can't just put this in the socket and put the endlink bolt through because there would be NO bushing utilized. It would be metal on metal contact IF I could get them to work.

I went to Amazon.com and found these part numbers to supposedly be compatible with my year/model car, but so do many other sites. On some sites, it shows 07 as an included year in the range, but on others it doesn't.

Does anyone here with a 2007 Sedan with the stock round bushing style shock have experience with using Koni Yellow Sport shocks? I'd like to know how you went about this confusion. I'm totally baffled that Koni's website shows 2007 as being compatible, but then on another area, it's not listed! I really need help figuring this out...

Last edited by SQconstable; 09-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2013 | 02:43 PM
|
I spoke with Mason at Koni, and was told that 03-07 should be compatible. He said that my car should have the "split fork" design for the shocks, but I see nothing of the sort. He states that Koni does not make ANY round bushing bottom shocks for this model (weird that I see round style on google images though). Given that my car does not have a split-fork style shock design, it is apparent that Koni's site is wrong, and they're still including 2007 in their compatibility list for these part numbers. If you have a 2007 G35 Sedan, these shocks will NOT work for you. I am sad that I cannot go with Koni, the brand I researched all along. :/

UPDATE:

I looked under the car at the rear OEM stock shocks and saw that they were split-fork style., but the fronts are NOT split-fork. The manufacturer tag on the driver's side door says the car was manufactured in "07/07". I'm aware that sometimes a car maker might change some things about drivetrain and suspension during August or later (like putting 2008 suspension on an '07 chassis), but my car should not be one of these, right? The fronts are different from the rears!

Just to check, I searched for 2008 Infiniti G35 at Koni North America to see if they utilized the 1216's I was sent:
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

A different part number? 1282? That's a totally different part altogether.. it can't be an '08 suspension on the front of my '07 sedan, or you'd think Koni would recommend a 1282 for the front and keep the 1217's for the rear's. So, how did Koni get the idea that a split-fork shock was needed for the '07 fronts?

I am now looking for a matched set of four shocks (two rear split-fork style, and two front round bushing style). I have a feeling that this configuration is either standard while Koni just doesn't have the right information (and I'm unable to see because product pictures are all over the place online, never consistent), or maybe Infiniti changed ONLY the FRONT suspension even as early as July 2007 to be round, not split-fork. Why can't I find any other threads about this? This car hasn't had any front-end work done by the dealer. It's been untouched since the purchase date with the exception of a Hotchkis Sway Bar kit some weeks ago. I'm hoping to hear from members here that they have purchased shock kits with round fronts and split-fork rears for their 2007... and if so, I'd like to know which aftermarket shock manufacturers offer this.

I'd also like to know if any of you have owned or worked on a 2007 RWD Sedan... please list the configuration you've witnessed below. I need to know if the rears and fronts are all the same or have a combination of round or split-fork style bottoms.

Here's pics of the right front split-fork style Koni Yellow, and also my 2007 Sedan's right front stock shock. As you can see, that yellow thing can't even work with what I have:

Attached Thumbnails Koni 8241 1216 or 1217 not for 2007 G35 Sedan?-koni-8241-1216rspor.jpg   Koni 8241 1216 or 1217 not for 2007 G35 Sedan?-2007-g35-sedan-round.jpg   Koni 8241 1216 or 1217 not for 2007 G35 Sedan?-2007-g35-sedan-round2.jpg  

Last edited by SQconstable; 09-19-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2013 | 04:22 PM
|
For reference, my VIN starts with JNKBV61E47M. Built in 07/07 with the VQ35 HR engine and RE5R05A transmission. I'm anxious to hear from anyone what aftermarket shocks are made for my setup. I'm quite surprised I can't find anyone else with this problem.

This has been a frustrating morning and afternoon. I have a feeling that these aftermarket parts manufacturers still can't get things right. I get the impression that I might be the only person with an '07 sedan attempting to install a decent suspension. I went by the feedback here from those who had the same make and model as I, and I wanted the Koni Yellow Sports because I wanted better handling, not just the look of a ride height drop. I'm concerned that the aftermarket industry does not recognize that there's something different with the '07's front suspension, or they're generalizing, assuming my car is just part of one big generation of years. I experienced something like this with Mazda Miata's, and how my '03 was supposedly like every other "NB" (second gen), but I found out first-hand that there were indeed differences in bracing and exhaust clearances (and even VTCS/VVT parameters) from others. Is there some literature out there that hints at the front suspension eliminating the split-fork style shock sometime in 2007?

Last edited by SQconstable; 09-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2013 | 05:52 PM
|
Well damn look at this:
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-bra...h-springs.html

The poster there found that the 1282's fit the front of his 2007 G35 Sedan. It looks like 1283's for the rear. This is proof Koni has incorrect information about what fits our cars. Now my question is if these 1217's I currently have will work, or if I'd be better having a matched set (1282 and 1283). If I had a 1283 in my hands, I could report on the similarities/differences. If I find some time this week I will PM that guy who started that thread and ask what his VIN prefix is.

For the record, another person in that thread reported that some KYB's he tried wouldn't fit, so perhaps the fitment issues sedan owners experience are because of some bad specs being spread around for years. I need to get more info, but it looks like at least one person who tried the 2008 version of the Koni Yellow was able to make them work on their 2007 G35 Sedan. I wish I had named this thread something more catchy. I think it will be overlooked. Hopefully this information can be amended in the shocks sticky so people don't waste money and time going by manufacturers' specs. This is significant info IMO.

Old 09-21-2013 | 12:40 PM
|
It turns out that the 2007 G35 needs the 2008 version of the Koni Yellow Sport shocks, not the 03-06 version as their literature suggests. Therefore, if you have an '07, you won't be able to use at least the front #1216 set. You will need the 1282/1283 set.

The seller created a shipping label for me to send back these 1216/1217's back to the distributor, and once they get them, they'll ship the correct 1282/1283's for my car. Unfortunately, Koni's error resulted in losses down the line, and it's not yet clear if they'll recognize their error. I called Koni and explained the issue, that their 1216 with the split-fork was not compatible with the '07 G35, and their response was that something must be wrong/special with my car (LOL), because they haven't heard of anyone getting a wrong part like this. I expressed how important it was to provide pictures for each model they make, and they said "We couldn't possibly create 4000 picutres and upload them to the site". Of course they can!!! There are companies like Uline and Mouser with big catelogs too, and all it takes is a few people to take pics and post them to the site. Perhaps it wasn't in their business model, and maybe their money is spent designing shocks based on the virtual specs given to them by the car manufacturers, but it sure isn't put into ensuring compatibility. It's baffling how a 2007 vehicle still receives incorrect part# info for Koni shocks, but it's possible that there's only a handful of people with '07 G's buying Koni Yellow's in order to find they don't work.

Well, so far I'm not giving up on Koni. It makes sense why there seemed to be a lack of aftermarket solutions for our car, but now there's hope. The seller and I realized that the '07 has the same suspension as the newer 350z/G37, not like the 03-06. And the '07 is definitely not to be categorized as "03-07" as far as suspension goes. Nor is the '07 a different beast...

So there it is. If you have an '07 and you want Koni Yellow Sport shocks, get part numbers 8241-1282 for fronts, and 8241-1283 for the rears.

The best thing about this experience is that since the seller (Kyle at www.ImportPartsPro.com) and I already did the work in determining what works and what doesn't, you guys and gals with the 2007 G don't have to worry about getting the wrong shocks if you plan to buy Koni Yellow Sports. Kyle will make sure you get the correct shocks and not just what Koni thinks should work. That's worth going through him!

Last edited by SQconstable; 09-21-2013 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lifted-d (05-23-2017)
Old 10-02-2013 | 04:26 PM
|
Yesterday I received the correct 1282 and 1283 and am going to start installing shortly.

What I didn't think about was replacing any stock rubber bushings, so I'll have to take a look while I'm under there and see if I should do that first before proceeding.