KONI struts/shocks for my Eibach springs!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
KONI struts/shocks for my Eibach springs!

I have a 2007 G35S 6MT sedan. I have had Eibach Prokit springs on since 9k miles and have always felt the stock springs were a tad underdamped resulting in a ride with lots of float and bounce. Well several months ago, KONI tested the G37 coupe with their yellow adjustable sport shocks from the 2010-2011 Nissan 370Z and it fit perfectly--we know what that means...another option for our RWD sedans!!!

Bought a set from ebay vendor LTBAutosports since they had a very good price ($895 shipped) and are an authorized Koni dealer. I noticed though that their price went up after I bought my set. Today was install day. This is not a how2 but install was fairly straight forward if you've done springs before. And who doesn't love pics?

Here is the set:
Name:  KONI1534set.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  89.5 KB
The rears (bottom two) and not easily adjustable (rebound only) since you have to make turns using a something small (I used a small hex key) at the very top of the shock so it is best to set it to something that you'll be happy with before installing. I have had KONI adjustable sport shocks for 2 previous cars (and loved them paired with H&R on one, stock springs on the other) so from that experience set the rears to 3/4 turns (up to 1 turn is plenty for the rears). The fronts are adjustable (rebound only) from the engine bay so no worries (1/4 - 1/2 turn is plenty!).

Koni front strut next to OE strut:
Name:  KONI1541frontcomparo.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  67.1 KB
I am comparing the lower spring perch in this picture because there have been at least one report that G37 coupe struts have the spring perch 1/2" higher than the sedan. However, side-by-side, the spring perches are roughly at the same height--this is good news! However I did notice that the front wheel gap has slightly more height after install--more on that later.

Front installed:
Name:  KONI1543fronts.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  93.1 KB
In a nutshell, jack front end, remove top 3 12mm bolts in engine bay holding strut from above, remove endlink from sway bar and lower bolt holding strut from below, remove bolt from arm attached to ball joint of upper control arm and remove brake/ABS sensor lines. Disassemble the OE spring/strut and put the mount/spring on the KONI struts with a spring compressor. Thankfully this is much much easier on a lowering spring! Then just put everythign back. Easy peasy.

Rear installed:
Name:  KONI1544rear.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  82.6 KB Name:  KONI1545rear.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  107.8 KB
Remove two 12mm nuts holding top of shock and the lower bolt holding bottom. You should use a jack under the lower spring perch to off-load the shock. Then save the top shock mount but remove the piston shield with bump stop integrated with it. Here is where I think Koni messed up on my set: The nuts included are a poor fit: I would make sure you have a metric M10 nut to secure the top of the KONI shock if the nut does not thread easily. The lower shock nut is permanently affixed to the OE shock so you will need an M12 nut--my KONI set did not come with this so make sure you have this or use the M12 nut that was used to secure the top of the OE front strut piston to the mount. Other than that, easy peasy! Also it is helpful to try and make sure the adjustment notch at the top of the shock is facing out.

The end results:
Name:  KONI1547carsideview.jpg
Views: 1892
Size:  112.2 KB
NOTE: measurement from the ground to the wheel arches shows that the fronts are about 1/4" higher than before. However, I am totally convinced things need time to settle. I am not talking about the springs since they are 3 years old now but the front springs have a new position in the upper mount upon reassembly which needs to settle. Most definitely, my eibachs settled quite a bit from the time of install to a year later. This difference is much smaller. I did not do anything with the rear springs to install the rear shocks, so unsurprisingly, there is no change in rear height.

The ride:
I love it! The disconcerting float is gone. You immediately notice the ride is firm yet supple. You will feel road imperfections more like expansion joints and the like (not harsh at all) but the ride is definitely more composed and sportier. This is just initial impressions from a 40 minute ride. I will definitely get a better feel over the next week or two and after I get an alignment. BTW I had set the fronts to a 1/2 turn and the rears 3/4 turn. I will be trying 1/4 turn up front just to see the difference. In my experience 1/4 - 1/2 turn is all you need for the fronts. In a nutshell, major ride improvement over stock--and keep in mind, my stock struts/shocks only have 30k miles to them.

Last edited by mishmosh; 03-29-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice. I have been looking for strus for a while now. I first tried the KYB's but they didn't fit. So I had to stick with the stock struts. I am at 125,000 miles on the same struts and I am definitely ready for an upgrade.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Are these the same? Definitely looks different from where the spring rests and the price is more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-Sport-S...item45ffe80b45

Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by johnblaz2000
Are these the same? Definitely looks different from where the spring rests and the price is more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KONI-Sport-S...item45ffe80b45
Yeah, same set, same vendor... but different price. Unfortunately the price went up after my purchase. The pic they show is just a stock koni pic and does not represent the product--you just need to look at the product numbers and they matched all the postings for the G37 coupe (you can also look it up on tirerack). FYI, a myG37 vendor was selling the set for $925 shipped (FBPARTS).

The following users liked this post:
johnblaz2000 (08-03-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 PM
How is your car riding with your new setup? Have you found a good setting on the front and rear struts/shocks?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by johnblaz2000
How is your car riding with your new setup? Have you found a good setting on the front and rear struts/shocks?
The ride is great. 1/2 turn up front, 3/4 on the rear. If it were easy to do, I might do 1 full turn in the rear but I am happy where it's at--it's like driving a different car! Firm ride where you can feel the road but nothing is harsh and no floaty feeling from underdamped springs. If you don't need the height adjustability of coilovers, I think Koni + lowering springs will make you very happy. Highly recommended.

Last edited by mishmosh; 08-06-2012 at 02:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
johnblaz2000 (08-16-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by mishmosh
The ride is great. 1/2 turn up front, 3/4 on the rear. If it were easy to do, I might do 1 full turn in the rear but I am happy where it's at--it's like driving a different car! Firm ride where you can feel the road but nothing is harsh and no floaty feeling from underdamped springs. If you don't need the height adjustability of coilovers, I think Koni + lowering springs will make you very happy. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the update. I will follow your recommendation on the settings. 1/2 forward and I will go 1 full turn rear.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, how I wish they made these for the x....

Enjoy the new setup

Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am very interested in running a similar set up. With a shock and spring combo would a camber kit still be necessary?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so will the koni sports for the coupe fit the sedan? i have a 2008 sedan which koni does not show a fitment for.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by speavler
so will the koni sports for the coupe fit the sedan? i have a 2008 sedan which koni does not show a fitment for.
Yeah, these 370Z struts/shocks are now crossreferenced for the G37 coupe. You will be fine for non-awd sedans.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:38 PM
okay. i've had the koni sports before on a C4 corvette and really liked them, but at over a grand for shocks, that price is getting into coil-over territory. now i'm wondering if that would be the better way to go...

Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
decided to go with the konis. just put in the order. guess it's time to review some DIY's.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by speavler
decided to go with the konis. just put in the order. guess it's time to review some DIY's.
I think you made a great choice. I struggled with low end coilovers too but was not planning to drop any lower than Eibach. Koni yellows are very durable--rarely do you hear of them blowing. Have had them on two other cars and they worked well. Dampers on low end coilovers probably won't last and will need rebuilding.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM
installed the koni yellows this weekend pretty much without a hitch. a nice long breaker bar is a must. an impact wrench comes in handy too. also threw on front and rear hotchkis sway bars. for the konis, i adjusted to full firm and then backed them down by approx 25%. still too tight for my tastes, so i'll have to disassemble the rears to loosen them up a bit. these are on stock springs.

thanks a bunch to the OP for making us aware that these are available for our sedans. nice to have options and i've had good experiences with konis before.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KONI struts/shocks for my Eibach springs!